Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Base Visits

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
BlackPanther832

Base Visits

Post by BlackPanther832 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:47 pm

Hi All,

Is anyone on here currently organising any base visits in the near future - myself and a friend are looking to do a base visit of a fighter base if at all possible?

Kind Regards,

Glen

C24

Re: Base Visits

Post by C24 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:32 am

Hi Glen
Forgive me, had you thought of initiating a trip yourself? It's not too arduous and you might make some new friends.
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

POL

Post by POL » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:45 am

Any preference? Working on a few at the moment...

Tiger Tim

Post by Tiger Tim » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:44 am

Up to now I have only managed to get one that I am working onto come to a conclustion and that was to RAF Marham, but that visit was a windowscreen tour of the base showing us the work being done for the introduction of the F-35 and took us nowhere near to the Tornado GR4s that we would have like to see. :'(

Also the use of cameras was restricted to the two gate guards, the Victor K2 and Tornado GR1, and was not allowed on the base tour. Plus any images if they were to be put on FC or any other sites would have to be vetted by the Station's CRO. (I do not joke about this). :huh:

Plus you will find due to the cuts that Squadrons and bases may not have the manpower or the time to conduct base tours or show people around the aircraft.

Both Marham (Base) and Wittering (Harrier) will do tours of the Hertiage centres.

page_verify

Post by page_verify » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:07 am

Visits to see deployed USAF squadrons tend to be formally managed through media days arranged by the UK and US based public affairs staff whereas less formal (but still legitimate!) visits are usually arranged through informal networking with people you happen to meet at the right place at the right time. Have you thought of asking for a speaker for a local aviation group? You're much more likely to get one of those from the USAF.

C24

Post by C24 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:21 pm

See wittering section for background to the heritage centre. Once a month, on Fridays.

The waddington one is on Wednesdays, also once a month when I last had contact.
Both these are just museums, not trips round the lighthouse looking at moving aircraft so not really base visits in my opinion. That said, most people would find them well worth the trip.
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”