Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Norfolk Museum Advice please

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Fat Bob John

Norfolk Museum Advice please

Post by Fat Bob John » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:43 am

Good morning all,
Admin if this is the wrong section please accept my apologies & move to the correct area.

Just finishing my last nightshift before my holidays & was wondering if I could ask for some advice. Heading for Norwich and Lincoln and hope to get some fence time at the Heath &/or the Hall but I'm hoping we can also make time fro a visit to an aviation themed museum while in the Norwich part of the trip. Trouble is, you have so many of them down there I have no idea where to begin. Travel around Norfolk isn't an issue and the Mem Sahib & myself are interested in most things that fly. Did Elvington a couple of years back - is there anything similar, planning on going to East Kirkby when up in Lincoln. so any suggestions of the one museum in East Anglia not to miss would be gratefully received.

Nighthawke

Re: Norfolk Museum Advice please

Post by Nighthawke » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:28 am

The two that spring to mind are the City of Norwich Aviation Museum on the northern side of Norwich Airport and the Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum at Flixton near Bungay. Links below to their respective websites should tell you everything you need to know.

http://www.cnam.org.uk/

http://www.aviationmuseum.net/

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:42 am

If you're heading south-east via the A1, A46 or A17 route there's always our collection on the Nottinghamshire / Lincolnshire border - latest airframe list in this link http://www.newarkairmuseum.org/Aircraft-List :thumbs:
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:50 am

If you want to go slightly further out from Mildenhall, there is of course the IWM at Duxford (just off the M11 south of Cambridge if you're not familiar).

gramp.t

Post by gramp.t » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:20 pm

Any of the above won't disappoint you! there is also the Bentwaters Cold war Museum.

Fat Bob John

Post by Fat Bob John » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:52 am

Many thanks folks, decisions decisions! To many museums far too little time!

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:05 pm

Don't forget the excellent Radar museum at the former RAF Neatishead just north of Hoveton :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Rugbyref

Post by Rugbyref » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:14 pm

Flixton would get my vote. My wife was with me and found the visit really interesting. They have a 'NAAFI' where you Memsahib can sit and enjoy a cuppa while you enjoy the collection.

XWP29

Post by XWP29 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:43 pm

100th bomb group Museum at Diss
GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Fat Bob John

Post by Fat Bob John » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:58 am

Hi folks went down to Flixton yesterday. What a fantastic place, so much stuff crammed into every space. We had a great time and even managed to clock an F15 over Oulton Broad later on. Happy days! Thanks everybody for their suggestions, plenty to still go and see in forthcoming visits.

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”