Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Another daft question................ Re NATO

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
beefsteak

Another daft question................ Re NATO

Post by beefsteak » Tue May 02, 2017 7:16 pm

As it says on the tin....... Another daft question time:-

I see that NATO are sending an E-3 Sentry to RIAT,my questions being.....Where do the crew come from who pilot them. If they are chosen from different air forces (IE RAF, USAF, Luftwaffe etc) do they still retain their rank and are they still paid by their relative armed forces?
Jim Bowen, on "Bullseye" :- In which state of the U.S.A. is Dallas, Texas ??

Skywatcher
Location: Under the approach to runway 27 raf fairford supporter

Re: Another daft question................ Re NATO

Post by Skywatcher » Tue May 02, 2017 8:09 pm

Believe it is mix crew ?? I.e some British,German and some American for example -I think if it is a British crew up front ,it would be a RRR 80 for example rather than a NATO 60 or something ,as I led to believe that is when it is a mix crew ??maybe as simple as that -hope that makes sence :)
Cheers
All the best
Max
p.s just realised -think crew training is done at the NATO AWACS base at Geilkirchen (E-3 Componet HQ) (may even be based on how experienced an individual crew is )I recon it's done on rotation (similar to a TDY ) but again could be wrong and there is never a daft question INMHO :thumb:
Spirit watcher/BUFF fan/96thBS/420th air base Squadron supporter

Please like my Facebook page -Raf Fairford photography and news -

ColintheCaterpillar

Post by ColintheCaterpillar » Tue May 02, 2017 9:36 pm

Skywatcher wrote:Believe it is mix crew ?? I.e some British,German and some American for example -I think if it is a British crew up front ,it would be a RRR 80 for example rather than a NATO 60 or something ,as I led to believe that is when it is a mix crew ??maybe as simple as that -hope that makes sence :)
Cheers
All the best
Max
p.s just realised -think crew training is done at the NATO AWACS base at Geilkirchen (E-3 Componet HQ) (may even be based on how experienced an individual crew is )I recon it's done on rotation (similar to a TDY ) but again could be wrong and there is never a daft question INMHO :thumb:
The NATO E-3A force is crewed by NATO members bar the UK (as we have the E-3D component of the NATO force) and Luxembourg.
17 NATO member nations participate in the NAEW&CF programme: Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Turkey, the United Kingdom and the United States of America. Fifteen of these nations provide military personnel to the E-3A Component (the UK flies its own E-3D aircraft, and Luxembourg does not provide military personnel).
http://www.e3a.nato.int/page5835237/e3a ... cture.aspx

beefsteak

Post by beefsteak » Wed May 03, 2017 7:52 am

Thanks folks
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Jim Bowen, on "Bullseye" :- In which state of the U.S.A. is Dallas, Texas ??

welshandy

Post by welshandy » Wed May 03, 2017 8:26 am

ColintheCaterpillar wrote:
Skywatcher wrote:Believe it is mix crew ?? I.e some British,German and some American for example -I think if it is a British crew up front ,it would be a RRR 80 for example rather than a NATO 60 or something ,as I led to believe that is when it is a mix crew ??maybe as simple as that -hope that makes sence :)
Cheers
All the best
Max
The NATO E-3A force is crewed by NATO members bar the UK (as we have the E-3D component of the NATO force) and Luxembourg.
17 NATO member nations participate in the NAEW&CF programme: Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Turkey, the United Kingdom and the United States of America. Fifteen of these nations provide military personnel to the E-3A Component (the UK flies its own E-3D aircraft, and Luxembourg does not provide military personnel).
http://www.e3a.nato.int/page5835237/e3a ... cture.aspx
I see Canada is NOT on the list. I knew they used crew them during the Cold War(saw a documentary on it a while back)

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Wed May 03, 2017 9:06 am

Having lived near Lincoln a few years back I am fairly certain that some RAF crews have done postings to the NATO E-3s

Happy to be proved wrong.

T

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Wed May 03, 2017 9:34 am

Had a neighbour that worked in the back office of the Nimrod at Kinloss, he seconded to the NATO E3 community for a number of years before returning to the Nimrod, that was in the early 90's.

ColintheCaterpillar

Post by ColintheCaterpillar » Wed May 03, 2017 11:45 am

Vulcanone wrote:Having lived near Lincoln a few years back I am fairly certain that some RAF crews have done postings to the NATO E-3s

Happy to be proved wrong.

T
Historically maybe. Not sure if there are still any now. Personnel from the fleet have also served in Staff roles in SHAPE.

page_verify

Post by page_verify » Wed May 03, 2017 6:05 pm

I'm pretty sure that GK is still a PCS option for USAF E-3 pilots at the very least.

quid21

Post by quid21 » Fri May 05, 2017 3:03 pm

I have a daft question too - why does or did (not sure) the NATO E-3 have OTAN written on it - are they trying to mimic reverse text like what you see on Police cars?!!

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Fri May 05, 2017 3:17 pm

Not daft at all. Translated to French - Organisation du Traité de l'Atlantique Nord = OTAN.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Fri May 05, 2017 3:20 pm

Organización del Tratado del Atlántico Norte (OTAN) as written in Spanish.

Organisation du Traité de l'Atlantique Nord (OTAN) as written in French.

C24

Post by C24 » Fri May 05, 2017 5:21 pm

I would like to offer a variation about daft question(s).

In a previous life I used to say, " There is only one daft question. That is the one that you don't ask when you do not know the answer. "
;)
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

quid21

Post by quid21 » Sun May 07, 2017 9:40 am

Thanks for the explanation, just a curious coincidence!

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”