Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Silly Tonka question

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Sparts99

Re: Silly Tonka question

Post by Sparts99 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:27 pm

beefsteak wrote:Thankyou, somebody finally understands the question!
I was hoping we may have an ex Tonka driver on here to help out.
I think most people did, we just suffered the usual ill disciplined thread drift, of which I'm guilty.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:49 pm

Good read though. The discussion about the Tornado Vmax was more interesting than how long does it take to swing the wings.

gamecock

Post by gamecock » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:35 pm

Thankyou, somebody finally understands the question!
Well you said yourself it was a silly question! :P

beefsteak

Post by beefsteak » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:59 am

slogen51 wrote:Good read though. The discussion about the Tornado Vmax was more interesting than how long does it take to swing the wings.
Erm.... the question was nothing to do with how long it takes to sweep it's wings! but thanks for trying!.... :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Jim Bowen, on "Bullseye" :- In which state of the U.S.A. is Dallas, Texas ??

turmo

Post by turmo » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:07 am

Don't have anything to hand about the IDS but the ADV was taken to Mach 2.16 ( and apparently was still accelerating ) and below 25,000ft it could out-accelerate the Lightning; the airframe really benefitted from the stretch, having a much better fineness ratio and lower transonic drag than the IDS.

Above that altitude the engines rapidly dropped in performance which led to increased use of reheat, necessitating the big Hindenburg tanks which in turn cut performance and required more reheat etc. Rolls did consider some redesign of the engine for the ADV but that was never funded.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:20 am

beefsteak wrote:
slogen51 wrote:Good read though. The discussion about the Tornado Vmax was more interesting than how long does it take to swing the wings.
Erm.... the question was nothing to do with how long it takes to sweep it's wings! but thanks for trying!.... :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
My pleasure

Is the question related to the rate of acceleration from 200kt to mach1?

If so i don't have a scooby but not very long i would think.

TAFFEVANS

Post by TAFFEVANS » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:07 am

Although it was 29 years ago now, one of the early flights at TTTE Cottesmore was to go supersonic at 2000ft over the N Sea. Can't remember how long it took but we would not be doing 200mph out over the Sea! Sounds like a Test Pilot question or one for an F3 jockey, I.e. Take-off (200mph) to supersonic on a QRA Scramble. What was more impressive was when you closed the throttles, felt like hitting a brick wall. I think someone tried to go supersonic with the big tanks, aircraft started going sideways! Regards Taff.

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”