Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Mirage IVA gifted to Yorkshire Air Museum

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
ramjet

Mirage IVA gifted to Yorkshire Air Museum

Post by ramjet » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:53 pm

Via Twitter
News from Yorkshire @air_museum - transfer OK'd of Mirage IVA - 1st time strat nuke bomber gifted to foreign museum
Also...
It’s Official – A French Nuclear Mirage IV Bomber is Signed Off for The Museum

The Museum’s collection of European Cold War jets is one of the most comprehensive collections in existence. With several aircraft maintained in ground running order, visitors often comment on how authentic this collection is. The opportunity to acquire ex military jets is a long and complex process, so we are thrilled today to announce the official signing of a unique transfer agreement that will bring a French nuclear bomber to the Museum.

It was announced today that the French Minister of Defence in Paris, M. Jean-Yves Le Drian, has formally signed the transfer agreement of a huge Dassault Mirage lVA jet aircraft to the Allied Air Forces Memorial & Yorkshire Air Museum based at Elvington, near York.

This is the first time that a strategic nuclear bomber has been gifted directly to an independent Museum of a different nation, and reflects the reputation of the Museum/Memorial and its close connections with the French Air Force, being the former location of the only two French heavy bomber squadrons of WWll, with over 2300 French airmen based there during the war.

The huge delta winged Dassault Mirage lVA is 23.5m (77′) long and 11.85m (39′) wide. It weighs 31 tonnes and flew at speeds up to Mach 2.2 about 1,100 mph (2124kph). It will be the only Mirage IV on display in Britain and it is hoped the aircraft will be delivered to the Yorkshire Air Museum at Elvington soon.

The aircraft destined for display at the Museum was originally on display at the huge Cité des Sciences Museum in Paris (Europe’s largest science museum) as France’s iconic super jet. The huge aircraft is currently at an air force base near Paris and is likely to be shipped over to Britain where it will be re-constructed on the site of the former French air base at Elvington.
French Ambassador to the UK, Her Excellency, Mdme Sylvie Bermann, said, “I am delighted to add my congratulations to the Allied Air Forces Memorial at Elvington upon the announcement that our Minister of Defence has agreed to the gift of one of France’s most iconic aircraft, the Mirage lV, in recognition of the close ties between our two nations.”

Museum Director, Ian Reed, who began negotiations for the transfer of the jet with the French Government in 2007, said today, “I would like to thank the French Government, diplomatic staff from the French Embassy and the French Air Force based both in Britain and Paris and aviation associates as far away as Dubai for their efforts in helping us over the last 9 years, to make this unique and historic project happen.”
Once transported to the Museum, the Mirage IV will sit alongside our other Cold War aircraft and complement our Mirage III fighter, plus our Victor and Nimrod jets.
Info Via http://yorkshireairmuseum.org/latest-ne ... ge-iv-jet/

Cheers, Rog.

jem60

Re: Mirage IVA gifted to Yorkshire Air Museum

Post by jem60 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:59 pm

Lovely. Superb looking aircraft. Saw one come into Fairford. Pushing the boundaries to describe it as huge tho'....... :S

rh226

Post by rh226 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:18 pm

Saw four over Wattisham during April 1981 Exercise Priory 1-81. Only time I ever saw any.
Cheers, Bob

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:36 pm

It's been a long time coming, I remember being told about a Mirage IV coming to Elvingdon by one of the staff there back in 1987 :) Glad to see it's fruition, better late than never :thumb:

Shot12778

Post by Shot12778 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:39 pm

Recall seeing no.45 at the Paris science museum a good few years ago...

chrisov

Post by chrisov » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:26 pm

Great to see its finally sorted. Very well done to all concerned - thank you all.
Like others have only seen one fly at Fairford many years ago, plus a couple preserved in France though not this one.
Think YAM they have they only Mirage III in the UK too.
Chris

ianf

Post by ianf » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:46 am

chrisov your correct YAM does indeed have the only Mirage III in the UK. Glad were getting a IV as others have said it has been a very long time coming! No idea on arrival date yet if I hear I will let you know.

saracen11

Post by saracen11 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:57 am

jem60 wrote:Lovely. Superb looking aircraft. Saw one come into Fairford. Pushing the boundaries to describe it as huge tho'....... :S

At 77' long it's pretty huge I'd say. It's not just the length and width it's the height it stands at which is unusual.

saracen11

Post by saracen11 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:02 am

It was planned to be at YAM for the annual Allied Air Forces Memorial Day on September 4th this year, but maybe too late now. It's certainly expected this year. All the transport is arranged and paid for. It is packaged and dry stored near Paris at the moment. BTW the AAFMDay now has Spitfire, Hurricane, Lancaster & C17 flights booked.

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:23 am

Finally will be biceto see one here in the UK

Although I think the museum in Darwin Australia might argue they got the first nuclear bomber in a museum outside its home country?

They have a B-52G. And the RAF handing Vulcans over to the USAF probably counts?

T

Neil Owen

Post by Neil Owen » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:43 am

Duxford's B-52D arrived in 1983, Darwin's B-52G in 1989, I think.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:45 am

Vulcanone wrote: Although I think the museum in Darwin Australia might argue they got the first nuclear bomber in a museum outside its home country?

Wouldn't the B-52 and B-29 at Duxford count as well?

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:53 am

I forgot about them Thunder..!

T

saracen11

Post by saracen11 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:57 am

Yes. It's the first one gifted to an independant museum. All the others are "national" museums, ie belonging to a government department & funded by taxpayers.

22A

Post by 22A » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:12 pm

rh226 wrote:Saw four over Wattisham during April 1981 Exercise Priory 1-81. Only time I ever saw any.
One was advertised for Alconbury in '82, but it was only a 3 not a 4 that turned up.

Meanwhile this 4 going to YAM; will it make it's own way there?
:P

ianf

Post by ianf » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:49 pm

It is not a flyer indeed at the mo I am unsure it has engines. When we get her I will have a look. The confusion over it being a first is as Saracen says we are the first independent to get one plus the only one to have a III and a IV in this country.

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:28 pm

Thanks ianf

I guess I was getting ahead of myself ....

Tim

ianf

Post by ianf » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:44 pm

No problem Tim I looked twice when I first read it and thought of the 52 at Duxford.

Seahornet1

Post by Seahornet1 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:43 am

saracen11 wrote:
jem60 wrote:Lovely. Superb looking aircraft. Saw one come into Fairford. Pushing the boundaries to describe it as huge tho'....... :S

At 77' long it's pretty huge I'd say. It's not just the length and width it's the height it stands at which is unusual.
Just wondering which other strategic nuclear bombers you are comparing it with, to define 77' long and 17' high as 'pretty huge''? Vulcans, victors, valiants, buffs, bears, bisons, blackjacks and lancers etc all seem a tad larger.... ;)

The only valid comparison that justifies the term 'huge' is that it's rather big to be called a Mirage! :lol:

rh226

Post by rh226 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:24 am

Though very pleased for YAM's "coup", if it is No. 45, I shall not be happy. That was one of the four I saw over Wattisham (see my post above). :grr:
Cheers, Bob

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”