Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

DTV Airshow cancelled due to Shoreham accident

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
The_Edge

DTV Airshow cancelled due to Shoreham accident

Post by The_Edge » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:26 pm

Hi Guys,
As posted, the Airshow has been cancelled for this year, but the organisers have rescheduled for Saturday 28th May 2016.
Any tickets bought will still be valid.

Gary
At the end of the day..it gets dark and you cant see!!!!

David Thompson

Re: DTV Airshow cancelled due to Shoreham accident

Post by David Thompson » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:51 pm

Some more details and clarification here ;
http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teess ... ng-9936292
Youth is wasted on the young !

Razor01

Post by Razor01 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:47 pm

I predicted it would be cancelled - even wrote to organisers and got a rude sharp reply saying would be going ahead - 24 hrs later cancelled!!!

Phoon

Post by Phoon » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:51 am

Razor01 wrote:I predicted it would be cancelled - even wrote to organisers and got a rude sharp reply saying would be going ahead - 24 hrs later cancelled!!!
Cancelled because not enough tickets sold or no show acts booked and paid for? I wonder.............

SCARECROW

Post by SCARECROW » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:17 am

I hope its due to the new restrictions rather than the lack of tickets.

The_Edge

Post by The_Edge » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:00 am

In contrast, Clacton Airshow will go ahead at the weekend..but this is over the sea so less restrictions??.

Gary
At the end of the day..it gets dark and you cant see!!!!

SCARECROW

Post by SCARECROW » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:49 am

Dunsfold is also going ahead as well !

Doughnut

Post by Doughnut » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:07 pm

I wonder if the Durham Airshow team cancelled because of the high cost of the Swedish Historic flight Viggen and Draken for them to only be on static. If the rest of the flying programme was starting to fall apart due to the current restrictions then the public would be unhappy and either not turn out this year, and certainly not bother next time an airshow was arranged. Thus making a financial loss. In my opinion its a good call, they live to fight another day.

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:15 pm

Hi Peeps :P

I thought the Clacton Airshow was today and tomorrow, as we currently have the Reds in at NWI (great arrival, by the way :Wow: )

Best regards, and, as always, I may be wrong :whistle:

Paddyboy :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Molitor5901

Post by Molitor5901 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:16 pm

Nice to see some airshows going ahead...

But what of the future?

Are we just going to see some "classic jets" doing a fly by, possibly with a wing waggle at each end? What (or who) defines a "classic jet"? could we have a situation where the Swedish Air Force Historic Flight (for instance) be able to do a full display with a "modern" type like the Viggen, but restricted to little more than a wingover with the rest?
Are there any plans to limit WW2 types like a Spitfire of Mustang to no "high energy" manouvres? They are not immune to flying into the ground either!

In short, is this the beginning of the end of airshows as we know and love?
Canon EOS 300D. 20D,50D,7D, Canon 10-18mm STM, Canon 18-55mm IS, 55-250mm IS, 18-200mm IS, 70-300mm IS USM

jem60

Post by jem60 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:18 pm

Molitor,It may well be the case re fly-byes as you suggest. Oddly enough, if you attend U.S. shows, particularly Oshkosh [huge event, lasts a whole week, lucky to have been 6 times], then in general, fly-byes its what you have for the most part, particularly by Vintage jets, T.33, F86, Buckeye, Fj Fury etc. They fly a racetrack pattern, and, whilst it is not the same as our displays up to now,it is surprisingly effective. Personaly I would rathe see sensible, safe flying with less risk. For me, it's all about the aircraft in it's element. It doesn't have to be upside down or vertical for me to enjoy it. I certainly didn't enjoy a flick roll by a Spitfire at 50feet on takeoff that occured once wilst I was there. If this is what our shows are to become, then so be it. At least they will still be there, and some lives [pilots] may be around for longer. Just MY opinion. Regards, John.

1979bree

Post by 1979bree » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:49 pm

I believe the only classic jets flying at DTV were going to be the gnats, Vulcan and Swedish Histoic Flight. I think the Gnats were canelled due their earlier accident. The Vulcan is not affected by the new CAA regs as its display is non aerobatic. It already flies on a Permit to Fly which expressly forbids 'aerobatics" so its display would be unaltered.
They had said only a couple of days before that it would go ahead and even put an acknowledgement on the net saying it would go ahead despite Shoreham and they would feature a minutes silence out of respect.
It is clearly the fact that it was heading for a massive loss and the ground entertainment had also been poorly managed.
6000 tickets sold out of 16000.
I think the organisors took advantage of the circumstances to wriggle out of what would have been a costly and embarrassing debacle. They cynically used the events at Shoreham as an excuse. An absolute disgrace.

Andy_99

Post by Andy_99 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:56 am

On BBC Look North last night the organisers were saying they the decision to cancel/Postpone till May 2016 was down to the new restrictions but.......

In the next breath mentioned that the Vulcan was the big crowd puller & if it couldn't display properly due to the restrictions the crowd would be disappointed. Of course we all know that the Vulcan isn't affected & that postponing it until May would mean no Vulcan anyway.

Methinks the organisers took the opportunity to pull the plug & not incur a loss on the event, the restrictions just gave a suitable excuse & way out.

SCARECROW

Post by SCARECROW » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:29 pm

Think its an excuse rather than a reason ?

Razor01

Post by Razor01 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:14 pm

Vulcan was always down for just a Flypast anyway!! was not booked for a display!

All a smoke screen ! IMO its a bit off jumping on the back of Shoreham!!

I will be applying for a refund!

jpgreenwood

Post by jpgreenwood » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:57 am

I agree it was the best decision as it was going to be a massive loss. Someone has said that the Skylive events MD's are the same people who run Loose Cannon events and they made a m,assive balls up of the Tom Jones concert and other events.
They have also re-arranged the DTV airshow the same weekend as the Championship football play off final so if Boro have a great season, then the whole of Teesside will be empty anyway. :clap:

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”