Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Hawker Hunter crashed at Shoreham

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
page_verify

Re: Hawker Hunter crashed at Shoreham

Post by page_verify » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:07 pm

Breaking news update from the BBC:

Shoreham air crash: Probe looks at 'second airshow incident

A second "incident" at an airshow is now part of the police investigation into the Shoreham air disaster, the families of the 11 men who died have been told.

A Hawker Hunter jet crashed at the Shoreham event in Sussex in August.

Pilot Andy Hill was thrown free from the aircraft. The 11 died at the scene.

Sussex Police have told the families of those who died their investigation now includes an incident at the Southport airshow in 2014.

Det Ch Insp Paul Rymarz said: "We are aware of an incident at the Southport air show in 2014.

"This incident forms a line of inquiry in our wider investigation.

"All the families are aware of our interest in this incident."

Mr Hill was interviewed by police in December. No arrests have been made.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-35473857

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:31 pm

Fatalities of general public at a 2nd show!!?? I must have been out!! Which show?
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:47 pm

Where does it say fatalities at a second show? It quite clearly states they are looking at an incident at the Southport Airshow in 2014. There is no mention of anyone dying.
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

page_verify

Post by page_verify » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:51 pm

I don't wish to implicitly suggest anything; however, another site has a link to a YouTube video of what the poster there believed was the 2014 display in question.

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:00 pm

It's to do with a JP flying too low at the Southport air show.

bob909

Post by bob909 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:13 pm

I remember that JP display, was in very gloomy conditions and it's display was not completed.

mark.alan.barnes

Post by mark.alan.barnes » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:33 pm

I was underneath the JP at Southport and was utterly convinced it was going to 'run out of sky.'

To his credit, the pilot fought the urge to pull back on the stick. A roll to port gave him the speed and room to climb above the pier and he was either 'red carded' or decided to abort his display.

It was the closest I've ever been to a disaster and there would have been nothing I could have done to improve my chances had it crashed.

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:48 pm

OK calm down I'm on my phone and cant download the story I though they might be comparing it too another show with fatalities
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:51 pm

Blackcat1 wrote:OK calm down I'm on my phone and cant download the story I though they might be comparing it too another show with fatalities
Why are you telling us to "calm down" :S

Nnthusiast

Post by Nnthusiast » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:03 pm

I remember thinking 'oh sh1t' when I saw that happen just to the left of me, but I also remember thinking that the cloud base was way too low for aero's at the time, seemingly confirmed by the video of the JP in the cloud.

Zymurgy661

Post by Zymurgy661 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:10 pm

A word of warning please - please consider what you are writing in this thread regarding both the incidents at Shoreham and Southport. It seems that members of our friendly press have taken comments directly from this forum and used within news articles. Whilst we cannot stop them from doing so (this area is open for all to see) and everyone is entitled to their opinions, be aware that you are being watched by people who wish to make a story out of the slightest statement..........

beefsteak

Post by beefsteak » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:38 pm

I was on the seawall and slightly off to the left when the JP incident occurred, my good mate (Not on this forum, so I shall not name him) was at the front of the crowd line directly under it.
He knew it had been a 'close call' (In his words "Brown underpants time" )but the daft thing was from his perspective he didn't see how close!
Fair play to the pilot in the way he 'pulled' himself immediately.
Jim Bowen, on "Bullseye" :- In which state of the U.S.A. is Dallas, Texas ??

ac2348

Post by ac2348 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:46 pm

I was at Southport when it happened directly at the front head on with the JP. I too thought well this is it. At the time if i remember on the radio the pilot reported a sudden downdraft with the shower that had just started and subsequently aborted the display. Kudos for a safe recovery, i hope this isn't blown out of proportion as no one was hurt and i personally believe it was freak weather i.e downdraft rather than pilot or mechanical error.

page_verify

Post by page_verify » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:56 pm

As always, there must be more than we appreciate going on here. Has the police previously ever investigated a questionable flying display? While I expect the Air Navigation Order or something similar ultimately sets the legal rules about displays, I'm not aware that the display pilot's version of "dangerous driving" has ever caught the eye of Inspector Knacker of the Yard before?

beefsteak

Post by beefsteak » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:00 am

It's at about this point I decide to allow discretion to be the better part of valour!

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:32 am

I think there are Far far worse things that can happen to an individual in different situations - have you ever been brushed by a car speeding past you and realized an inch closer and you could have been hurt quite bad, ever been on a motorway and had a lorry nearly suck you in to its vortex, had a car door open suddenly when you are approaching on a bike and have no where to go?, been at a wall of death event and had the motor cycle come within inches of you.

There are thousands of more dangerous events than airshows.

C.
Nikon D7100, Nikkor 300 f4 IF ED :-)

rva65

Post by rva65 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:01 am

Cornish-guy, none of those situations you speak of involve large crowds of spectators ! The police have the difficult task of investigating the horrific deaths of 11 people, most of whom were minding there own business and not watching the flying display above then. There has been speculation on the cause of that crash and now the police are including this incident at Southport in 2014, they haven't said so but does this mean both displays were flown by the same pilot?

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:51 am

rva65 wrote:Cornish-guy, none of those situations you speak of involve large crowds of spectators ! The police have the difficult task of investigating the horrific deaths of 11 people, most of whom were minding there own business and not watching the flying display above then. There has been speculation on the cause of that crash and now the police are including this incident at Southport in 2014, they haven't said so but does this mean both displays were flown by the same pilot?
Yes, it appears that the pilot was also flying the JP at Southport. It may not be relevant to Shoreham at all, but as always, every little thing will be investigated to either eliminate it, or use it as part of the police investigation.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-35473857

TB
And there's plenty more where that came from!

beefsteak

Post by beefsteak » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:21 am

Any body else ??
:ninja:

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”