Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Reporting Live Ops threads

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Ben Montgomery

Reporting Live Ops threads

Post by Ben Montgomery » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:32 pm

Hi guys,

Just in case you were wondering where that thread went viewtopic.php?f=8&t=115567, given it appeared to be a live op we've removed it. Better safe than sorry.

It'll be replaced in due course - please don't start another thread.

Thanks for your understanding.

Ben

Thunder

Quid 91 - 95 & Fader 01 flight [RT, Zello & PP]

Post by Thunder » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:05 am

I was going to request the thread be removed once it became apparent what was going down, but 'mudcity' beat me to it. There has to be a cut off point on what is posted on here and I think last night a couple of posts crossed that line. Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a dig at anyone after all this is what our hobby is all about and it was kinda exciting to think that these guys were off to do what they train to do. However, there is a time and place for certain details to be put out into the public domain and while a 'live' op is taking place, isn't it. Remember what you post on here can be seen by anyone anywhere and while we're mainly only interested in the a/c please remember that there is a human being/s behind the controls.

Do we know if the mission was scrubbed, or completed?

Moderators you made the right choice, and I can't see why any enthusiast would think otherwise.

Outpost

Re: Quid 91 - 95 & Fader 01 flight [RT, Zello & PP]

Post by Outpost » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:12 am

Thunder wrote:I was going to request the thread be removed once it became apparent what was going down, but 'mudcity' beat me to it. There has to be a cut off point on what is posted on here and I think last night a couple of posts crossed that line. Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a dig at anyone after all this is what our hobby is all about and it was kinda exciting to think that these guys were off to do what they train to do. However, there is a time and place for certain details to be put out into the public domain and while a 'live' op is taking place, isn't it. Remember what you post on here can be seen by anyone anywhere and while we're mainly only interested in the a/c please remember that there is a human being/s behind the controls.

Do we know if the mission was scrubbed, or completed?

Moderators you made the right choice, and I can't see why any enthusiast would think otherwise.
Thumbs Up!. Those guys are at risk. We don't want to put them at risk by giving away mission details.

Oompaloompa

Post by Oompaloompa » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:24 am

It comes down to the simple fact that any access to a lot of the information in our hobby is a privilege not a right. Anything that puts a mission or aircrew at risk should be kept from the public domain until the mission is over. Anybody who cant understand this fact may want to consider taking up another hobby or interest as a big part of this hobby is acknowledging the fact that is a privilege to have access to a lot of the things we take for granted.

BOLLO

Post by BOLLO » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:24 am

Only members of FC can see the heads up section am I right and you jave to be logged in??True there is the word of mouth passing on but not every one can see this section unless this as changed?
http://www.airfighters.com/photosearch.php?phgid=SHED" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; LOADES
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.s ... _entry=140+" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; at last

What do cry when we see The Man With the Stick???

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:31 am

That's correct Bollo, but anyone can become a member there is no background checks carried out on those that join as such.

POL

Post by POL » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:38 am

"giving away mission details"

Surely you'd have to KNOW the information before you can give it away? Speculation and rumour is normal, it happens every day of the week!

rh226

Post by rh226 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:40 am

I believe that that is true, Paul. However, are we 110% certain that there is not someone "from the other side" within our midst?? Or, for that matter, from the services themselves.

It would be a tragedy if we did not exercise some overarching control as to where the line must be drawn as to putting too much information onto the site regarding live missions. We do not want the site forced into closing down through our own lack of responsibility.
Cheers, Bob

jamesg23

Post by jamesg23 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:22 am

i think it was correct to take the thread down. the reason the first mission took place was down to social media so we was just giving them a warning yesterday. wouldnt take much for word of mouth and a few telephone calls to friends about a post they have seen on here next thing the bad guys are moving house or strengthened their defensives and the mission is a wasted journey.

POL

Post by POL » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:24 am

jamesg23 wrote:the reason the first mission took place was down to social media so we was just giving them a warning yesterday
Was it? Are you sure? I presume, therefore, that you know the target of the first mission and the intel and planning that went in to it?

jamesg23

Post by jamesg23 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:50 am

all the info that was released was stating that someone was bragging on social media so how difficult would it be on here to find information? all they would have to do is look at the info given on bank holiday monday and see what was launched and then again yesterday. basically im saying the info that was given out last night shouldnt be in the public domain, there is such things called operational security.

opsjockey

Post by opsjockey » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:52 am

delusions of grandeur. astonishing.

Duncan Disorderley

Post by Duncan Disorderley » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:53 am

I sympathise with the mods, but by switching off the thread, people are likely to switch to discussing this on more public forums such as Twitter.

R1nger

Post by R1nger » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:00 am

rh226 wrote:I believe that that is true, Paul. However, are we 110% certain that there is not someone "from the other side" within our midst?? Or, for that matter, from the services themselves.

It would be a tragedy if we did not exercise some overarching control as to where the line must be drawn as to putting too much information onto the site regarding live missions. We do not want the site forced into closing down through our own lack of responsibility.
We do get an amazing amount of data nowadays. Regular movements and deployments are fair game but speaking as a 'Cold War' veteran I think trying to follow a 'hot' mission is beyond the needs of the hobby and could lead to a security breach with unforseen consequences. Posting the data after the mission is completed, although not a direct threat, could give away the game plan for follow up missions.

We already have Reach flights filtered out of live ADS-B sites so let's not run the risk of losing access to other media. :ninja:

Enthusiasm is good but security must be the prime consideration. Enjoy your spotting. :thumbs:
George

Remember that sorry is the hardest word - unless you're Chinese, then it's squirrel

Ben Montgomery

Post by Ben Montgomery » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:04 am

BOLLO wrote:Only members of FC can see the heads up section am I right and you jave to be logged in??True there is the word of mouth passing on but not every one can see this section unless this as changed?
Paul, that is correct - but our "vetting" of new members only runs so far as to checking their email addresses to make sure it doesn't flag up something dodgy (spam, for example). We do have a huge amount of members who register just for the purpose of viewing the members-only areas and never intend to contribute or get involved. For 95% of the time, we have no idea who these people actually are, or could be - hence our caution. We are looking at ways to reduce this, so stay tuned.
Duncan Disorderley wrote:I sympathise with the mods, but by switching off the thread, people are likely to switch to discussing this on more public forums such as Twitter.
Duncan - a good point, and perhaps one we did not consider.

apgphoto

Post by apgphoto » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:06 am

I'm all for OPSEC but really nothing in this thread (as it stands now) would give a "badguy" any idea of a couple of F-15's about to knock on their door, yes they have been identified going towards the Med, but from there on...

I'm sure the USDoD have plenty of targets that they can launch a long range strike on. So for "us" to be able to identify exactly, where, who and when would need that exact info and very few who maybe members of this forum would know that and they sure as hell are not going to reveal it.

I cant see anything in this thread that would illuminate to bad guys that they are the exact ones about to be paid a visit, and remember this board is such a small place its not the international board of info, those enthusiasts down range who monitor would be reporting exactly the same type of info on their respective boards.

Use common sense and everyone would be kept happy

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:08 am

Chris and all

The USAF said that the guy from ISIS or whatever he was, boasted I am..... and gave away a location it seems, and thus a bunch of F-15s appears to have paid him a visit :ninja: Mind you, a certain forum pointed out that the USAF guys going on social media boasting about that wasn't that clever either....

There are 12,993 members on this forum, so the question goes to all of you. Do you know everybody on here?

I certainly don't and if there are no checks off any kind. Then whats to stop anyone who wants to join (whatever the side?). As all the internet search engines bots show up at the bottom, it doesn't take a rocket scientist long to figure out how easy the group is to find.

When the Falklands and the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait, and Op Allied Force (to name a few) kicked off The British Aviation Research Group withheld material relating to these from publication in BAR. True, during Desert Shield the media showed Saddam what was coming (Although I doubt he was reading most of the magazines or watching TV that much!)

My point being, you never know......

Discuss

Duncan Disorderley

Post by Duncan Disorderley » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:11 am

It's a difficult thing to police, and at the end of the day people should (but don't always) use common sense, just look at the Mach Loop FB groups having an adverse effect on our hobby. It's down to everyone to exercise self control and not get carried away.

BOLLO

Post by BOLLO » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:12 am

Ben Montgomery wrote:
BOLLO wrote:Only members of FC can see the heads up section am I right and you jave to be logged in??True there is the word of mouth passing on but not every one can see this section unless this as changed?
Paul, that is correct - but our "vetting" of new members only runs so far as to checking their email addresses to make sure it doesn't flag up something dodgy (spam, for example). We do have a huge amount of members who register just for the purpose of viewing the members-only areas and never intend to contribute or get involved. For 95% of the time, we have no idea who these people actually are, or could be - hence our caution. We are looking at ways to reduce this, so stay tuned.
Duncan Disorderley wrote:I sympathise with the mods, but by switching off the thread, people are likely to switch to discussing this on more public forums such as Twitter.
Twatter is rife with air crew telling "friends"what they are tanking,"I'm friends with a boomer" is herd quite alot down the Hall . :pop: :pop:
http://www.airfighters.com/photosearch.php?phgid=SHED" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; LOADES
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.s ... _entry=140+" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; at last

What do cry when we see The Man With the Stick???

Duncan Disorderley

Post by Duncan Disorderley » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:16 am

BOLLO wrote:
Ben Montgomery wrote:
Twatter is rife with air crew telling "friends"what they are tanking,"I'm friends with a boomer" is herd quite alot down the Hall . :pop: :pop:
your quite right Paul regarding military personnel, but that's for the military to effectively police it's social media policy.

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”