Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Loud 'Bangs' over the UK

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Strathayr

Re: Loud 'Bangs' over the UK

Post by Strathayr » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:49 pm

Simple explanation this was a planned civil/military exercise at a weekend.causing minimum disruption.Going for the Big Bang over the UK a fast jet would provide thatpu

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:07 pm

Any link to this event earlier in the week?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma ... r-30189831
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

pjharvey

Post by pjharvey » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:15 pm

Someone has posted an apparent recording of the noises on YouTube. I'd be interested to know if anyone living outside the London area can confirm they heard similar sounds. Doesn't sound like any aircraft I've ever heard, in fact it sounds very much like fireworks, so I'm wondering if she simply captured a fireworks display. The fact there's no picture at all in the video means this could just be a recording from any fireworks display, and they simply stripped the video and only submitted the audio. Highly suspect IMO, but the mail online has already added this video to their article about the bangs from last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IFPieeN8og&sns=tw
--------------
NOT the singer/songwriter

leuchars12

Post by leuchars12 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:25 pm

They did sound like fire works but 2 verry big ones
but know one near me was letting off fireworks
I live 20 miles west of edinburgh

pjharvey

Post by pjharvey » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:42 pm

I wonder if it's possible for a sufficiently large sonic boon, and giving the right terrain and atmospheric conditions, to sound a lot like fireworks as the initial shockwaves bounces off hills, buildings, etc. The mutiple bangs could be attributed to the characteristic N-wave multiple shock wave pattern supersonic aircraft can generate (multiple shocks waves generated at different points around the airframe). Combine with two or more aircraft involved, and echo effects, and this could be something.
--------------

DVS_PTR91

Post by DVS_PTR91 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:46 pm

the concerned

Post by the concerned » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:06 pm

its SANTA giving his slay a test flight before the rush :thumbs: :P

22A

Post by 22A » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:28 pm

I heard some bangs in Peterborough at 9.00pm Saturday, but it sounded like fireworks, although no associated light display.

Perhaps, the noises were created in a Government exercise to see if unexplained noises get get reported. Some reports now state no sign of an explosion near Catterick. Curiouser & curiouser!

pjharvey

Post by pjharvey » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:33 pm

22A wrote:I heard some bangs in Peterborough at 9.00pm Saturday, but it sounded like fireworks, although no associated light display.

Perhaps, the noises were created in a Government exercise to see if unexplained noises get get reported. Some reports now state no sign of an explosion near Catterick. Curiouser & curiouser!
You've reminded me of this, the Oklahoma City sonic boom tests http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma ... boom_tests

The difference being the residents in Oklahoma knew about the tests. Also, the MoD know very well mysterious booms always get reported. Every time a QRA jet is authorised for supersonic, there's some MoD chap having to explain themselves to the endless media enquiries. Social media amplifies this all 100 fold as well.
--------------

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:36 pm

the concerned wrote:its SANTA giving his slay a test flight before the rush :thumbs: :P
This really just made me laugh a lot.

cottesmore09

Post by cottesmore09 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:59 pm

pjharvey wrote:Someone has posted an apparent recording of the noises on YouTube. I'd be interested to know if anyone living outside the London area can confirm they heard similar sounds. Doesn't sound like any aircraft I've ever heard, in fact it sounds very much like fireworks, so I'm wondering if she simply captured a fireworks display. The fact there's no picture at all in the video means this could just be a recording from any fireworks display, and they simply stripped the video and only submitted the audio. Highly suspect IMO, but the mail online has already added this video to their article about the bangs from last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IFPieeN8og&sns=tw
Croydon did have a large firework display last night which was the only explanation the police had. But that fireworks in London wont be heard in Scotland :P
RAF Families days website: www.raf-families-days.webs.com

2017 Airshows
RIAT (FRIAT Mach3)
Clacton Airshow
Scampton airshow Arrivals

Sussex to Devon

Post by Sussex to Devon » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Hi,

Also heard here in Exmouth/Devon. Sounded like a cross between fireworks and gunfire, but with a rumble. We are used to gunfire here from various sources and the odd sonic boom. It didn't sound like either. Only heard the one time lasting a few seconds. But sure was loud. At the time we had fog. So couldn't see fireworks, there were no firework displays and if a private individual, considering the weather, must been mad. The local airport had runway RVR less than 400 meters with aircraft diverting. Would be surprised if out at sea, though Lyme Bay does have live firing. Maybe possible that if the case heard due to the weather. Only thing noted a A330 tanker did earlier head towards Brize Norton. Only possible last week noticed the occasional flash in the night sky. There was no electrical storms around, so put it down to a meteorite.

Ian
Ian

vix

Post by vix » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:34 pm

We did, couple of times but not close enough together to be a firework display, we remarked it was a strange day and time for fireworks . Didn't think anything of it til I saw VirtualAstros tweets today.

Could've been quid21s curry digestions though as we are just up the road in Wymondham :lol:

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:14 pm

I heard several bangs while at work last night way up in Inverness, can't be certain of exact time but it was somewhere between 2100 and 2300hrs. I put it down to fireworks but now :ninja:

cottesmore09

Post by cottesmore09 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:41 pm

So it can either be something top secret that the MOD will not own up too and if so it must of broke the sound barrier a few times to be heard all over the country, or it was a meteor of some kind exploded near the UK

Not much coverage by the media though apart from the Daily Mail, it has also not made any news headlines either which is weird considering the spark on social network these 'loud bangs' have caused and the how it was heard all over the county.
RAF Families days website: www.raf-families-days.webs.com

2017 Airshows
RIAT (FRIAT Mach3)
Clacton Airshow
Scampton airshow Arrivals

johnwayne

Post by johnwayne » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:53 pm

the concerned wrote:its SANTA giving his slay a test flight before the rush :thumbs: :P
STANTA not Notamed active this wknd. (Am I confused ?)

pjharvey

Post by pjharvey » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:13 am

Whatever it was, it was reported in New York as well as the UK - http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/u ... -1.2028357

The UK authorities tried to attribute it to fireworks in London, which was quickly ruled out. And the New York authorities tried to attribute it to a small earthquake, which again was ruled out.

The DM has decided to go with the Aurora story, claiming the sounds can be attributed to a 'pulse jet' type of engine :ninja: The tin foil hat brigade are catching onto this one. Secret stealth planes, black helicopters, lights in the sky, fracking gone wrong, you name it I've read it.

A more straight forward explanation would be a 'Seneca Guns' / 'Skyquake' type of event - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyquake.
--------------

welshandy

Post by welshandy » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:45 am

Skip wrote:
ac2348 wrote:Clearly proof of the Aurora ;) ;)
I heard it was Firefox..........oops I'm showing my age now :blush: :lol:
I thought it was this
https://archive.org/details/TheDayTheEa ... 951Trailer

"Gort, Klaatu barada nikto"

Now that is showing my age :whistle:

Andy_99

Post by Andy_99 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:39 am

Cue up the X-Files Theme

How long before the mysterious vapour trails pics surface

pjharvey