Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Avro Shackleton Night Run and Photo shoot

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
pasujoba

Avro Shackleton Night Run and Photo shoot

Post by pasujoba » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:56 pm

Hi Everyone ,
You may recall me asking peole to show some support for a night shoot with the Avro Shackleton at Coventry in an effort to persuade them to do one .
Well it worked , Dave the Chairman has announced the details . Here they are .

Hi all

A date has been set for the much requested Dusk run for Shackleton WR963 , this is now set as Sunday the 16th of November.

Entry fee for this event is £20 per person and the gate will open at 3.00pm on the day. Numbers will be limited to 75 people and will be allocated on a first come , first served basis. Closing date for places at this event will be Sunday the 9th of November. Entry will be by named list for security reasons as we have to know who is onsite, so for this reason entry is not transferable.

Payment can be made via Paypal at shackletonwr963@googlemail.com please state that this is payment for the run entry, or by Cheque to the SPT ( message me for details).

After the run there will be the chance to go onboard 963 to take photographs of the interior in Red light conditions.

Coffee, Tea and Soup and a roll will be available as will Shackleton merchandise, T/shirts , Mugs , Patches , etc.

We have a few Ideas that should allow you to take some interesting Pictures of 963 in conditions that have not been seen for a few years.

All the best

The Chairman

I reckon it will be a terrific event ,well worth supporting ......get yourself there :clap: :thumbs: :clap: :thumbs:

Ben Montgomery

Re: Avro Shackleton Night Run and Photo shoot

Post by Ben Montgomery » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:20 pm

Bump for this - only about 45 of 75 tickets sold at the moment, so sounds like the team will be operating the event at a loss.

If anyone is unsure, please go for it! :)

C24

Post by C24 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:30 pm

I wish them well but sadly cannot manage the time. It is a very friendly crowd who made me welcome earlier this year during a chance visit.

How goes the mainspar testing?
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

richw_82

Post by richw_82 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:55 am

Hi all,

Numbers are creeping up with a couple of weeks to go. It appears there's going to be plenty of room for good shots... good and bad depending on your point of view! Whatever happens, we will be running the Shackleton up regardless of numbers.

Still waiting on the NDT testing. The company we asked to do it are working on a new schedule from the original Shackleton NDT schedule and subsequent SI and STI's. Then its into the hangar after christmas for a mainwheel change and poking some bits of wing spar that don't see daylight much. :thumbs:

Kind regards,

Rich W
SPT

pasujoba

Post by pasujoba » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:45 pm

There are 10 spaces left and the Nimrod is being run up prior to the Shack . A not to be missed event .

richw_82

Post by richw_82 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:24 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for coming and supporting the event, it was a shame the weather decided to throw all that rain and wind at us. We had a few issues, starting with the generator for the lights quitting, resulting in the baby back up being pressed into service after the run.

Nimrod XV232 ran up first, and the Speys reminded us why airshows seem that bit quieter over the past few years. Then it was WR963's turn and we took care to get the engines warmed up evenly before letting them have some throttle and doing some relatively high power runs - 2450rpm and around 50" boost; which was when the Griffons really start to get into their stride and the exhausts start glowing.

We had a couple of problems towards the end, No 2 decided it didn't want to idle below 1200rpm, and No 4 had an oil seal go in the propeller - but we've ran the engines up every two weeks for the past three months, and at higher power, so problems will be found and we'd rather find them now.

Into winter maintenance we go... see you all in the new year!

Kind regards,

Rich W
SPT

Dan214sqn

Post by Dan214sqn » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:46 pm

iM not too happy with this

I sent my money over via paypal and never received any further correspondence

The day has now been and gone , and im left with no refund.

I wouldnt of minded puitting it in as a donation if id of had a response saying, sorry we cant fit you in

richw_82

Post by richw_82 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:41 pm

Hi Dan,

Seeing as it wasn't a ticket event, there wasn't much more confirmation than the Paypal one, unless specifically requested in the note attached to the payment. Details of when and where and how things were running have been posted on here, UKAR, and quite a few places on Facebook.

If you were worried you had been missed off - the paypal address is also our contact e-mail, and a query to us would have resulted in a reply up until 1200hrs yesterday - or up to 1hr before engine start time if you dropped us a line on Facebook (the link to which is always in my signature). At that point we were still trying to coax those that were undecided to brave the wet and wild.

I'm also unsure as to why you think you're left with no refund? Why is that the case? Its not anything we've stated or suggested.

Drop me an e-mail to shackletonwr963 (at) googlemail.com and we'll arrange to get your money back to you.

Kind regards,

Rich

Blue Diamond

Post by Blue Diamond » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:18 am

richw_82 wrote:Hi all,

Thanks for coming and supporting the event, it was a shame the weather decided to throw all that rain and wind at us. We had a few issues, starting with the generator for the lights quitting, resulting in the baby back up being pressed into service after the run.

Nimrod XV232 ran up first, and the Speys reminded us why airshows seem that bit quieter over the past few years. Then it was WR963's turn and we took care to get the engines warmed up evenly before letting them have some throttle and doing some relatively high power runs - 2450rpm and around 50" boost; which was when the Griffons really start to get into their stride and the exhausts start glowing.

We had a couple of problems towards the end, No 2 decided it didn't want to idle below 1200rpm, and No 4 had an oil seal go in the propeller - but we've ran the engines up every two weeks for the past three months, and at higher power, so problems will be found and we'd rather find them now.

Into winter maintenance we go... see you all in the new year!

Kind regards,

Rich W
SPT
A fun time even though the weather did its worst and gremlins got into the lighting system. I hope you'll do another and we can get the full benefit of an engine run under floodlights - weather and gremlins permitting of course. :)
Fighting 92 - The King Cobras
http://www.92squadron.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.92squadron.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”