Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

'Old Airfield' info

sandywatt28

'Old Airfield' info

Post by sandywatt28 » Sat May 26, 2018 4:48 pm

With runway 12/30 now 'decommissioned', a new fence has now been erected across it and most of the 'old' airfield.
Now no access to the 30 threshold, which was used for 'parking', mainly by visiting GA aircraft, but also most military visitors as well.
Also no access the hangar area, which was also used by both GA and military.
Airport's 'helipads' are now also unavailable, as said fence also crosses large part of them.
This area to be 'developed' as a 'business park', by the Airport owners.

No 'General Aviation' aircraft are allow to night-stop, so will obviously apply to military aircraft as well.
If aircraft require to 'stay', for longer than a few hours, then they have to re-position elsewhere, generally Glasgow!
So, I doubt, Edinburgh is unlikely to see many military visitors in the future.

Many 'regulars' visitors, both Civil and Military, have been routing direct to Glasgow, so save all the 'hassle' with re-positioning etc.

Unknown74

Re: 'Old Airfield' info

Post by Unknown74 » Sat May 26, 2018 7:08 pm

Think I'll have to emigrate to either Ayrshire or Morayshire, shame Edinburgh is going like this. Shame on the Airports owners for doing this. :grr: Used to love Edinburgh as a local Airport and now it looks a little quiet for me.

venom

Post by venom » Sat May 26, 2018 7:35 pm

i already put a post up chap

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 » Sun May 27, 2018 4:51 am

Sounds like all their interested in is the main terminal and Runway 06/24 from what I read from both these posts - Venom your "spotting" post - their plans are to do away with the West Ingliston Side and East - G.A. & Old Airport (Inc Old RAF Area). Au revoir to all the interesting movements we used to enjoy here. Terrible idea in my opinion.

venom

Post by venom » Sun May 27, 2018 10:33 am

:thumb: totaly agree buddy

Aly Bally

Post by Aly Bally » Sun May 27, 2018 2:29 pm

So that will mean there will be no aircraft using Edinburgh when the airshow is on at East Fortune in July. I used to enjoy the different aircraft flying over the house. Thing of the past now. Edinburgh's loss is Newcastle's gain as the aircraft will be based there to cover East Fortune and Sunderland which is on the same day.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 » Mon May 28, 2018 1:00 am

Good point that was one thing I thought about when I first read this. But then again Leuchars would still take something some daft people would say. Edinburgh Airports owners Don't have a clue do they.

sandywatt28

Post by sandywatt28 » Thu May 31, 2018 3:28 pm

Noticed following comment in local paper, regarding Edinburgh Airport, not from an enthusiast, but 'joe public'.

"Edinburgh Airport, a large shopping mall, with an attached runway"

Quite apt!!

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 » Thu May 31, 2018 5:42 pm

Before you know it they'll be parking Aircraft at The Gyle then.

toom317

Post by toom317 » Thu May 31, 2018 8:34 pm

sandywatt28 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:28 pm
Noticed following comment in local paper, regarding Edinburgh Airport, not from an enthusiast, but 'joe public'.

"Edinburgh Airport, a large shopping mall, with an attached runway"

Quite apt!!
Just like Gatwick!
No one gets out of life alive.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:17 am

Unknown74 wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 1:00 am
Good point that was one thing I thought about when I first read this. But then again Leuchars would still take something some daft people would say. Edinburgh Airports owners Don't have a clue do they.
Some daft people would say Edinburgh Airports owners Don't have a clue do they!

Sadly it is a fact that they actually do know what they are doing and are making a fair bit out of the paying punter! That punter does not come along in a bizjet or transiting Herc to the extent that they will make more money from putting up an estate of offices as they intend to.

clarke

Post by clarke » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:21 am

hi
the airport is there to make as much money out of as they legally can,just look at the pick-up fiasco, i have travelled through the place three times and it was horendous
i go back a long way to the days of vanguards and Canberra T17s, this is a disease that is sweeping the country, make money out of the punters, instead of a airport that serves the needs of the people , since the total shutdown of the RAF in Scotland , with the exception of quiet lossie i had a feeling this would happen.
I think it is very sad and is a reflection of how British society is going , eg down the plughole
Several pounds to pick up someone and park your car for 30 seconds
that is my twopence worth
Dave-c

clarke

Post by clarke » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:38 am

hi
the airport is there to make as much money out of as they legally can,just look at the pick-up fiasco, i have travelled through the place three times and it was horendous
i go back a long way to the days of vanguards and Canberra T17s, this is a disease that is sweeping the country, make money out of the punters, instead of a airport that serves the needs of the people , since the total shutdown of the RAF in Scotland , with the exception of quiet lossie i had a feeling this would happen.
I think it is very sad and is a reflection of how British society is going , eg down the plughole
Several pounds to pick up someone and park your car for 30 seconds
that is my twopence worth
Dave-c

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:47 pm

I have just come across and read a little piece in an Aviation Magazine I have bought - "Numerous visitors from/to Edinburgh due to that Airfield not accepting night stopping general aviation aircraft until 03 July at least" Interesting to find out what this means? And will that include Miltary (hopefully?)

Ross Forsyth

Post by Ross Forsyth » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:07 am

Unknown74 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:47 pm
I have just come across and read a little piece in an Aviation Magazine I have bought - "Numerous visitors from/to Edinburgh due to that Airfield not accepting night stopping general aviation aircraft until 03 July at least" Interesting to find out what this means? And will that include Miltary (hopefully?)
As per the OP`s comments although don`t know where the 03 July date comes into it as I believe no nightstopping GA/Mil for the rest of this year unless particular circumstances mean absolutely required to,there is physically nowhere to park anything other than scheduled aircraft simple as that,end of the day its an airport,it wasn`t built with plane spotters in mind now was it? Sure we have all enjoyed the benefits of visiting aircraft over the years but this is what EDI is becoming i`m afraid.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:41 pm

So basically G.A. or Military who visit for a few hours during the day are permitted but if they want to stay overnight then sorry you'll have to go elsewhere unless you really have to. Can only imagine there must be some pilots/ passengers unhappy when they're informed about this.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:42 pm

Unknown74 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:47 pm
Probably be able to all of a sudden manage to take dozens of BizJets due to the open at Carnoustie and the seniors at St Andrews!
Unknown74 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:41 pm
So basically G.A. or Military who visit for a few hours during the day are permitted but if they want to stay overnight then sorry you'll have to go elsewhere unless you really have to. Can only imagine there must be some pilots/ passengers unhappy when they're informed about this.
The 1 or 2 passengers not too bothered as they have been dropped off, and their employees(pilots) are doing what they are paid to do!

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:28 pm

So further to Aly Bally's post regarding East Fortune Airshow Weekend I can save myself the bother of watching for anything coming in on the Friday, or at all as it will no doubt be operating from places like Newcastle etc. if I can't make it to the Airshow that is.

Blujag4211

Post by Blujag4211 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:53 pm

Welcome to Edinburgh , Scotlands premier shopping mall with its own runway, WTF is that fence like ? Carstairs Saughton Barlinnie ? It's horrendous. Theres no escape lol, I noted a comment of EDI not being accommodating to spotters , I remember in the 70's there was an open viewing area in the main terminal ...

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:31 pm

Slightly off topic I know but when did Edinburgh last have a missed approach / practise diversion by a military aircraft like a typhoon?

Return to “Edinburgh”