Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Penzance Heliport

Forum rules
Guildelines for the use of this section have been released, please see them here - http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/v ... 54#p690454

This notice will be left in place for a short time so that everyone is aware
bertieb

Penzance Heliport

Post by bertieb » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:48 pm

Passing the heliport this evening I saw a 771 Sqdn Sea King (coded 27) on the ground. It is the first current military helicopter I have seen there in over 6 years of working at Penzance - good job it has called in now as I assume the field won't be operational much longer.

Malfatron Malkovic

Re: Penzance Heliport

Post by Malfatron Malkovic » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:21 pm

Possibly a weather divert? I've no idea how the weather was in Helston today, but there was a thick and heavy fog over Redruth all day.
Penzance heliport has just over a week left, hasn't it?

DaveG

Post by DaveG » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:04 pm

Seen it there this morning (8am) but possible arriving back at CU now. Just listening to R193 trying to find CU from within the fog, found gweek now following forest fork to find road, sounds like they have 449.5375 (fm) open.
Running SBS-3 & Planeplotter code: F4
Cornwall, near EGDR

buzzer

Post by buzzer » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:27 pm

DaveG wrote:Seen it there this morning (8am) but possible arriving back at CU now. Just listening to R193 trying to find CU from within the fog, found gweek now following forest fork to find road, sounds like they have 449.5375 (fm) open.
Dave. Is that the onboard intercom frequency? Or one of the ground frequencys??
Did hear a seaking coming up the helford this afternoon,and thought there brave boys up in this muck today!!!!

DaveG

Post by DaveG » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:36 pm

Got it as onboard intercom frequency for SAR Cabs
Cornwall, near EGDR

Red Hound

Post by Red Hound » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:51 pm

Wondered if the Sea King had delivered a patient there for Penzance Hospital, and stayed. One did similar at Treliske last October.

DaveG

Post by DaveG » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:08 pm

Would not think so, Treliske is the main A&E. They sometimes use Penzance Heliport as relief landing ground and then land ambulance if weather is an issue. Same happens at Treliske, if fog bound there are relief grounds around. If it stops at Treliske, that would be either for weather, either at Truro or CU, or problem with cab.
Cornwall, near EGDR

Red Hound

Post by Red Hound » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:00 pm

When I said patient I wasn't necessarily thinking for A&E. I wondered if it was a patient who needed hospital attention who, in the prevailing conditions, could be treated just as easily at Penzance rather than Truro, especially if that was a safer destination. Possibly a patient from the Scilly Isles, which I believe has happened previously.

In the incident I referred to last year the helicopter concerned had initially intended landing at a relief landing ground but when that wasn't possible made it to Treliske, by a rather indirect route.

DaveG

DaveG

Post by DaveG » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:02 am

Yep sorry possible. Was thinking would only use SAR for urgent/emergency cases, thus A&E or maternity. Be interested in finding out reason....
Cornwall, near EGDR

Red Hound

Post by Red Hound » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:45 am

I agree, would like to find out the reason.

I assume the Sea King can operate in worse conditions than the Air Ambulance.

Once a patient has been delivered, then in poor conditions, it would be prudent to stay put until they improve.

Return to “South West England”