Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Former RN Sea Kings to return to Service

Forum rules
Guildelines for the use of this section have been released, please see them here - http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/v ... 54#p690454

This notice will be left in place for a short time so that everyone is aware
eagle driver

Former RN Sea Kings to return to Service

Post by eagle driver » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:20 am

Iconic RN search and rescue helicopter to return to skies above Cornwall
By G_WIlkinson
CornwallLive.com
August 01, 2017
The skies of Cornwall will soon welcome back a couple of old friends — two helicopters that were once used by the Royal Navy for search and rescue.
The Ministry of Defence is returning two Sea King Mark 5 aircraft to service and they will once again have a life-saving role — to help train the German navy.
The aircraft were once used by 771 Naval Air Squadron for rescue missions across Cornwall from their base at RNAS Culdrose near Helston.
The iconic grey-and-red aircraft were a regular and popular sight around Cornwall and much admired by the public. Many of the aircraft date to 1979 or the early 1980s and one saw action in the Falklands War.
While one of the helicopters was kept on display behind the fence at Culdrose, as a testimony to the bravery of their air crews, the others were shipped away to storage by the navy in April 2016.
Responsibility for search and rescue was handed over to the new coastguard helicopters at Newquay.
Now two of them are being leased to HeliOperations UK so that the organisation can train aircrew in the German navy in search and rescue skills.
The retired Sea Kings will be retained as UK military aircraft, but will be operated from a training base at Portland in Dorset up until September 2018.
The maintenance activity required to bring these two aircraft back into service is being carried out at Culdrose and following ground runs, the first aircraft will commence its flight-test phase soon.
Both aircraft will eventually undergo a full respray, however locals to the Culdrose area may see the first aircraft completing its test flying programme still in its original search and rescue paint scheme as the re-spray is scheduled after this element has been completed.

Josh B

Re: Former RN Sea Kings to return to Service

Post by Josh B » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:49 pm

Old news... :whistle: it's been common knowledge for a long time.. But thanks for posting anyway. :cool:

POL

Post by POL » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:46 pm

We'll, I wasn't aware. Thank you for sharing this.

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:28 am

It's old news that wasn't in the public domain, so to most people on here it would be new news. I find that comment of it being old news rather arrogant, not everyone has access to information such as this
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

POL

Post by POL » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:50 am

One is XV666, any ID for the other one please?

d555

Post by d555 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:30 pm

Not sure of the serial of the other HU.5, maybe some of the local chaps could help!

Here's some more info.

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-la ... wall-skies

EGDR

Post by EGDR » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:09 pm

EGVP wrote:One is XV666, any ID for the other one please?
The other is ZA166, arrived by road a couple days ago.

C24

Post by C24 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:14 am

Thanks eagle driver for posting this info. It is nice to know that people are prepared to share their knowledge.
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

POL

Post by POL » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:08 am

KyleG wrote:
EGVP wrote:One is XV666, any ID for the other one please?
The other is ZA166, arrived by road a couple days ago.
Ta!

Josh B

Post by Josh B » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:52 pm

bizfreeq wrote:It's old news that wasn't in the public domain, so to most people on here it would be new news. I find that comment of it being old news rather arrogant, not everyone has access to information such as this
It's been all over the FC Facebook group pages for well over a month..!!! Hence my rather sarcastic comment about it being old news. Chris globe of all. People must have seen it.. Thought you were up on everything old boy?! :D ;)

rh226

Post by rh226 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:41 pm

Perhaps people could post on here as well as Facebook. Then we could be more up to date on such matters.
Cheers, Bob

Josh B

Post by Josh B » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:50 pm

rh226 wrote:Perhaps people could post on here as well as Facebook. Then we could be more up to date on such matters.
Sadly..those days have gone.. The facebook and Twitter groups are so much easier to use than the fourm, in every aspect :(
I pop in from time to time, but it does surprise me at the lack of up to date posts these days, only adding to my Theory above :huh:

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:21 pm

Not everyone is on Faceache nor do they want to be. And in my experience there is far more crap on there masquerading as info and far more people who think they know everything but actually know very little or nothing, than there has ever been on any forums I'm a member of.
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

Josh B

Post by Josh B » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:02 pm

That might be the case, but the fact is the info that's been posted about above has been all over social media, complete with photos, info on the progress of the pair of them and there new operators complete with links..to various sources to confirm this..for several months Hence my sarcastic comment about "old news" ;)
I guess the forum isn't as upto date as it once was :whistle: :halo: ;)

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:37 pm

So if you knew about it and that it wasn't on this forum, why not post it for the benefit of the rest rather than pour scorn on the fact that it wasn't here?

I for one am fed up with everyone being expected to be on every social media site that exists.

Josh B

Post by Josh B » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:57 pm

Because I didn't.. Simple.. ;) guess I should have done.. I did, and so did others post elsewhere .. Guess FC got forgotten about. :huh: sorry!

Josh B

Post by Josh B » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:01 am

Just incase anyone has been feeling left out :whistle:
Damian XV666. Has been up on its first proper test flight today after its return to flight ;)
There.... I've done my bit :halo:

Supra

Post by Supra » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:42 am

Thanks from us techno-denial boyz for the 'virtual retweet thingy'! :thumb:

one1938

Post by one1938 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:02 pm

Stuff social meedia it is a load of nonsense for the mpst part and I for one do NOT use it

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:57 pm

Josh B wrote:That might be the case, but the fact is the info that's been posted about above has been all over social media, complete with photos, info on the progress of the pair of them and there new operators complete with links..to various sources to confirm this..for several months Hence my sarcastic comment about "old news" ;)
I guess the forum isn't as upto date as it once was :whistle: :halo: ;)

You must be having a giraffe! FC forum is a great centralised source of movements.

There is very little up to date military movements reports on social media - lots of news and articles for people who like watching planes but not a lot for the real enthusiast . (Civil is a different matter - but there are so many splinter groups - Heathrow, Gatwick, Farnborough etc)

There are airfield related groups such as the Brize group - fine but they are aimed rightly at local s, it is ridiculous to have to join every site just read that a hawk took off from learning for example. Fighter control has lots of up to date movements and heads up of interest for many airfields in one website

Aeroresource Twitter is full of seaking XV666 but what about the Qatar C-17 in Gatwick or the C-17 just landing at the hall?

Return to “South West England”