Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Reinstate St. Mawgan

Forum rules
Guildelines for the use of this section have been released, please see them here - http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/v ... 54#p690454

This notice will be left in place for a short time so that everyone is aware
2e1var

Reinstate St. Mawgan

Post by 2e1var » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:14 pm

As St Mawgan still see's loads of military activity and is still an active station (see below), can't we have a proper section back for it ? It was only the runway that was handed over to NQY after all, the RAF still own most the base, I notice Lyneham still has it's own section and I would bet that Newquay sees loads more activity.

Station Commander: Wing Commander G R Bazalgette RAF
Royal Air Force St Mawgan is the only RAF Station west of Oxfordshire and, as such, it is the hub of Royal Air Force activity in the SW. It parents some 3000 personnel throughout the region and, whilst its day-to-day population is small (circa 230 people), it trains some 5000 personnel from throughout Defence in survival training per year and, additionally, provides 100,000 bed-nights a year to regulars, reservists and cadets who come to the region to train through Defence Infrastructure Organisation SD Training. In addition, it accommodates circa 2000 soldiers of the 3-star Headquarters of the NATO Allied Rapid Reaction Corps for 6 months of the year; therefore, there are significant periods when the Station strength will be in the region of 2,500 people, many of whom will be from NATO nations.

Source - http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafstmawgan/
UBC-15X, 800XLT, 3500XLT, VT-225, Airspy R2/Mini/SDR#, RSP1A/SDR Uno

UK Radio Scanners Facebook Group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1451306941772699

EGDR

Re: Reinstate St. Mawgan

Post by EGDR » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:53 pm

The former contributors to this section (including myself) had asked for this at least two times before, and nothing came of the requests...

Mike

Post by Mike » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:02 pm

KyleG wrote:The former contributors to this section (including myself) had asked for this at least two times before, and nothing came of the requests...
I agree that St. Mawgan should be added to the Airfields listing, has anyone actually contacted a member of Staff directly (via PM) to ask?

The Staff cannot read every post and perhaps they've missed the previous requests, don't forget that they have lives to live also. :)
This season, I'll be mostly wearing........A THONG!

EGDR

Post by EGDR » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:04 pm

Mike wrote:
KyleG wrote:The former contributors to this section (including myself) had asked for this at least two times before, and nothing came of the requests...
has anyone actually contacted a member of Staff directly (via PM) to ask?
Yes, I did. ;)

Zymurgy661

Post by Zymurgy661 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:07 pm

We are about to look into the structure of the section in terms of active airfields etc to make sure that they are either added or removed based upon interest.

Whilst Newquay/RAF St Mawgan is still active for moves having a section dedicated to it would be based upon the actual requirement for posting of logs/movements etc as obviously no point in adding a section if it won't be used and, as Kyle has pointed out, some of the former contributors have moved on.

I can't recall having this mentioned to me before (although it may well have been and I've forgotten in which case i apologise!) but we shall bare this in mind as part of the review.

EGDGZTCW

Post by EGDGZTCW » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:19 pm

Most of the military moves seen at Newquay airport are customers of Newquay airport and have absolutely nothing to do with RAF St Mawgan at all. There are exceptions of course. The recent visit of a V22 Osprey would be an example of this and the Tutor's from Colerne another but there are really very few. We maintain an excellent working relationship with RAF St Mawgan as the V22 visit is an example of. Sure RAF St Mawgan is still operational and as is as busy now as it has ever been but it is a ground station only with no access to its former airfield. RAF St Mawgan has three Helicopter Landing Spots but that is all. It does maintain ownership of one T2 hangar and two HAS.

Just a thought

Chris

d555

Post by d555 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:49 pm

I agree that having a dedicated section covering St.Mawgan/Newquay would be a good addition as the airfield still gets a lot of regular and interesting military movements which I feel would be of interest to other members of the forum at large.

Unfortunately, as has already been noted, most (if not all) of the regular contributors have left the forum for various reasons, and so I feel the section would rarely be used, which is a shame.

kind regards, Mike

peejay75

Post by peejay75 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:29 pm

I agree us down in the West Country did suffer from some silly remarks be other people. But hey ho. With all the changes occurring over Europe I can see St Mawgan coming back as Council cannot run a library let alone an airport.

rh226

Post by rh226 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:11 pm

EGDGZTCW wrote:Most of the military moves seen at Newquay airport are customers of Newquay airport and have absolutely nothing to do with RAF St Mawgan at all. There are exceptions of course. The recent visit of a V22 Osprey would be an example of this and the Tutor's from Colerne another but there are really very few. We maintain an excellent working relationship with RAF St Mawgan as the V22 visit is an example of. Sure RAF St Mawgan is still operational and as is as busy now as it has ever been but it is a ground station only with no access to its former airfield. RAF St Mawgan has three Helicopter Landing Spots but that is all. It does maintain ownership of one T2 hangar and two HAS.

Just a thought

Chris
In view of this post, I would say that we do not need one - as the movements are at a civilian airfield. The fact that it used to be an RAF station is irrelevant.

Otherwise we would be having separate forums for Durham Tees Valley (which used to be RAF Middleton St. George) or for Cardiff, both of which attract a goodly amount of military movements.
Cheers, Bob

d555

Post by d555 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:53 pm

Well, that logic doesn't hold water.
You just need to look at the Scotland & Ireland section and see there is a seperate forum for Edinburgh, Prestwick and Dublin,all civilian run airfields as far I know (although I have been wrong before ;) ), and the status of Kinloss and Leuchers is dubious, although in the final two mentioned they are still military, albeit Army Barracks (or soon to be).

I do agree with you in that I don't believe there should be a seperate forum for Newquay, but not for the same reason as yourself.

regards, Mike

rh226

Post by rh226 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:38 pm

Mike,

Edinburgh and Dublin, I would agree with you on.

Prestwick, though, should classify as a special case as it does have as resident HMS Gannet - the Royal Navy 771 Sqdn SAR "detachment" - until that job is civilianised. Also, it is used as a refuelling stop by quite a lot of military trans-Atlantic flights (departing from Canada or Iceland). These two points alone should justify its continued inclusion.
Cheers, Bob

d555

Post by d555 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:21 pm

Good point about Prestwick :thumb: I forgot about the Royal Navy detatchment based there ( I told you I'm not always right ;) ).

regards, Mike

2e1var

Post by 2e1var » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:23 pm

EGDGZTCW wrote:Most of the military moves seen at Newquay airport are customers of Newquay airport and have absolutely nothing to do with RAF St Mawgan at all.
But military movements still.
UBC-15X, 800XLT, 3500XLT, VT-225, Airspy R2/Mini/SDR#, RSP1A/SDR Uno

UK Radio Scanners Facebook Group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1451306941772699

Josh B

Post by Josh B » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:40 pm

Cracking idea. I like it.. but...
It's been asked before!
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=86309

bouncyt

Post by bouncyt » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:31 pm

And there is no reply from admin for that earlier thread.

Zymurgy661

Post by Zymurgy661 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:52 pm

But there is a reply in this thread -
We are about to look into the structure of the section in terms of active airfields etc to make sure that they are either added or removed based upon interest.

Whilst Newquay/RAF St Mawgan is still active for moves having a section dedicated to it would be based upon the actual requirement for posting of logs/movements etc as obviously no point in adding a section if it won't be used and, as Kyle has pointed out, some of the former contributors have moved on.

I can't recall having this mentioned to me before (although it may well have been and I've forgotten in which case i apologise!) but we shall bare this in mind as part of the review.

Dunk

Post by Dunk » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:51 pm

A lot of noise from some of those that have started their own little gang, and refuse to post here, but remain vociferous about wanting St Mawgan added.... :halo: :roll:

As Adam has pointed out above, it will be looked at.

Return to “South West England”