Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Stuttgart Airport 2010

RichC

Re: Stuttgart Airport 2010

Post by RichC » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:13 pm

Thomas,
Welcome to the forum and thanks for joining.
I have been waiting for Stuttgart logs for a very long time. You guys get some 'very' interesting movements down there in southern Germany.

Why on earth were two RAF Tutors doing all the way down there i wonder? Were they involved in an airshow? Or are they based at one of the airfields used by British forces?

Either your English is remarkable or you're a Brit in disguise :Wow:

EF-111

Post by EF-111 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:59 pm

It is possible that the Tutors had been to the Grob factory at Tussenhausen-Mattsies for some reason?
Steve

GOOSE

Post by GOOSE » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:46 am

A big welcome to you Thomas :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Figure8

Post by Figure8 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:33 pm

Welcome Thomas

Will the German football team get back on track I wonder? :thumbs:

Art
Regards

Art (The Lie in King)

steve65

Post by steve65 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:01 pm

From my database

99-6143 C-32B belong to 486°FLTS [Eglin AFB based] not 108°ARW

Any confirmation ???

The best of my compliments Aerea 51 for your work.
Greetings
Bookshelf

RichC

Post by RichC » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:36 pm

Aerea51 wrote:Hi!
Sorry for the type of writing, i am doing it with my cell phone.
I read the unit out from my MASR 2010 Book. All C-32B are listed there as 108thARW. But whether this is correct is a good question indeed. I know that they were based at Eglin in the past. A list of which unit uses which callsign couldbe helpfull maybe. But i aint have one. They should be forced to paint the unit on the nose like the AMC Aircraft, he he!
Cheers
Thomas
As far as i am aware, no C-32B's exist at Eglin anymore under the test squadron. They are all based at McGuire AFB under the 108th ARS and SOC command.
They use the TERRA and DACTYL callsigns when on training and the more exotic callsigns when supporting FEST and Special Operations Transport abroad.
Stuttgart and Shannon are the main refuelling stops in Europe for the aircraft. It normally refuels enroute mid-air with tankers. (It's the only 757/C32 variant able to Air-Air Refuel).

RichC

Post by RichC » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:29 pm

Thomas,
Not many know they can it seems.
The C-32B is totally different to the C-32A (VC-32A). The C-32A cannot Air Refuel.
The C-32B has a recepticle in the usual place (above the cockpit) however it's more complicated to refuel this aircraft than any other (especially at night).
The C-32B is only refuelled by crews which have undergone special training to do so. This is because the recepticle has no lights and at night it's particularly hard to AR. Training must be undertaken during the day.
The AR recepticle is pretty difficult to see from ground level too. Which is why a lot of people do not know.

It's normally refuels off the NE coast of USA, on the Flamborough track over Scotland and northern England or in the south west approaches or north west of spain in the atlantic with the Mildenhall KC135s and McGuire/Pease Tankers.

Gives you an idea on the importance of these C-32B missions. They are very similar to the COMCO B757s (but these cannot AR). Both have integrated air stairs so they can be deployed to remote airstrips and be self sufficient, not relying on any ground support.

RichC

Post by RichC » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:23 pm

Thomas,
Can you confirm the callsign it was using please?

RichC

Post by RichC » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:35 am

Hi Thomas,
No worries, this is why i was hoping Stuttgart would come along on here with logs. I'm pleased we have you onboard.
I love reading logs from Stuttgart and Lajes.

RichC

Post by RichC » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:26 pm

Thanks Thomas,
Interesting, i didn't know about the Pheonix contract for Africom.

Good job i don't like football :whistle:

RichC

Post by RichC » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:58 pm

Thanks Thomas... interesting callsign for the Gulfstreams...

Return to “Germany”