Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Spotting here??

GVLCN

Spotting here??

Post by GVLCN » Sun May 19, 2013 5:14 pm

Hi all,

Visiting Crete next week, can anyone please tell me what spotting is like/ worth doing here? Or is it to risky?

Any help greatly appreciated,
Cheers andy

Proteus

Re: Spotting here??

Post by Proteus » Sun May 19, 2013 7:33 pm

I have always thought...Spottin+ Greece= Prison.........Regards N.

POL

Post by POL » Sun May 19, 2013 9:29 pm

Spotting + Greece + generally secretive US military installation = definitely prison.

ap57uk

Post by ap57uk » Mon May 20, 2013 5:06 pm

Don't listen to the negatives. My mate was there 4 years ago. He was sat on a bench with clear views of arrivals and departures using binoculars. When approached by Security he was naturally anxious, but the MP was very friendly and even told him a wave of F-16's were due in 30 minutes, which duly arrived. Other friends have spotted here in the past, albeit discreetly. He said the Greeks were now embarrassed about the Touchdown incident.

Only thing I would advise is not try and photograph anything.

Hope you have a fruitful visit.

Best regards

Alan

GVLCN

Post by GVLCN » Mon May 20, 2013 7:33 pm

Thanks for the info guys, think i will skip getting to close to the base and may just try out that beach. Much appreciated sounds like your saving me a lot of hastle.

paul simmons

Post by paul simmons » Tue May 21, 2013 9:11 am

Andy
I've been several times over the last few years and never had a problem, main advise is be low key, if you're going around with telephoto lenses and poles pointing everywhere you going to get some attention. The beach that someone referred to is a few miles away from the western end, F-16s are a bit high to read, as for anything else-depends how good you are with bins! It's a lovely beach aswell. You will find activity is low, the Greeks only fly 2 or 3 times a week these days and visitors are normally a couple per day. There is a good viewing place for the USN ramp, from the civil terminal follow the main road anti-clockwise keeping the base on your right. Eventually you will come to the US hangars, RIGHT opposite the main hangar there is a small road leading up a hill, drive up there and you get a elevated view of the ramp (see photo). BTW a few hundred yards on from the hangar is the US gate with a preserved A-7 and following this road tracks the base to the other end, here ther is a small track right beside the landing lights, if you follow this away from the base it puts you on the approach but hidden from view of the base. It's a lovely part of Crete around there, some great little Tavernas serving super food, you'll enjoy the place.
Paul

GVLCN

Post by GVLCN » Wed May 22, 2013 9:53 am

Many thanks I'm currently sat in 35 degree heat sunbathing, at booked for Friday sat and Sunday. Thank you very much for this very useful info. Cheers andy

Return to “Cyprus & Crete”