Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Blurred images

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.
Starbuck

Blurred images

Post by Starbuck » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:43 am

Hi everyone,

I've started to notice a few of my photos I've taken the images are ever so slightly blurred and I'm not entirely sure why.

Current setup is a Canon 90D & Tamron 100-400.

I also sometimes use a smaller Canon 70-300 and those tend to come out better, would I be right in thinking the Tamron is ever so slightly slower in picking up the focus hence the blur?

I'm thinking of swapping the Tamron for either a Sigma 150-600 (but would I encounter the same problem?) or a Canon 100-400 Mk2

If anyone has any tips for settings I could use too that would be very much appreciated, I'm mostly shooting fast air around bases.

Thanks
Starbuck :thumbs:

daggerfan

Re: Blurred images

Post by daggerfan » Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:07 pm

I use a Tamron 100-400 lens with a full-frame Nikon D610 and have no complaints at all on image quality and sharpness, apart from occasional dodgy pics that are down to operator error! I also have a Nikon 70-200/2.8 but prefer to use the Tamron. I guess the problems you are experiencing could perhaps be a quality control issue. I certainly can't fault the example I own. Have you tried experimenting with the VC mode? I always use the VC on mode 2.

I bought a Sigma 150-600 C lens about 18 months ago and have never been happy with it, despite having had it professionally calibrated. I used that lens mainly for aviation and wildlife. I'm not giving up on it though, and am going to have a go at calibrating it myself. I bought a Nikon 200-500 lens a few months ago and am happier using that when I need a bit more reach.

Reading comparisons of the Tamron 100-400 to the Canon 100-400 MkII, it's been said that with the Tamron you get 90% of the image quality of the Canon for under 40% of the price. Maybe it all depends on how much of a pixel-peeper you are.
Last edited by daggerfan on Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:33 am

I noticed my 2nd hand Nikon 70-200 F2.8 was soft on the left hand side. Web research offered several reasons primarily that the lens has received a knock - which it had, I did it!

Nikon and I suppose Canon have a fairly simple 'fine tune' menu to overcome quality control issues. The camera's computer calculates the focus settings by combining various parameters one of which is the KNOWN distance between the glass and the sensor - the tolerances are minute and a slight manufacturing tolerance can result in a small focus miscalculation. By the way, a mirrorless camera won't have this particular issue as the sensor is directly involved in the focus workflows.

I now use my cheaper back up plastic lens, not as sharp but so much lighter and fits in to a small bag and a joy to carry around compared to the heavy F/2.8

daggerfan

Post by daggerfan » Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:43 pm

A question I forgot to ask: Have you tried your Canon/Tamron combination on a tripod/beanbag with a static subject (VC off)? If the results were blurred that would suggest a focusing issue rather than perhaps a handling one.

I see you said you have started to notice this issue, so I take it the lens was performing well in the past? As slogen51 said, a fine tune in-camera might help, but I believe with Canon cameras that only covers each end of the zoom range. Using the Tamron tap-in console would allow for more adjustments, but it is pretty dear compared to the USB dock for Sigma lenses.

Starbuck

Post by Starbuck » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:24 pm

Thanks for all the tips, I haven't had a chance to get out with the camera yet and try these, I never know mode 2 on the lens was for panning shots, maybe that'll help solve my issues.

When it comes to jets that are on the ground more often or not those are fine, just in the air stuff it was struggling a bit, but now I know about mode 2 I'll give it another go.

Richard B

Post by Richard B » Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:49 pm

Longer focal length lens will give more chance of camera shake.
Maybe why you get better results with the 300mm then the 400mm.

Longer the lens more shutter speed, rule of thumb if at 400mm you want a shutter speed to match plus take in the crop factor of camera and lens.blurred images.
Different ffrom sharpness.

GVLCN

Post by GVLCN » Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:40 pm

Hi all,

Just wondering if the problem was resolved? I’ve noticed my 90d is not the best when it comes to sharpness.

Any help would be great,
Cheers Andy

Return to “Photography Q & A / How to post photos”