Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Scanned Images - HELP !!!

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.
Doughnut

Scanned Images - HELP !!!

Post by Doughnut » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:00 pm

Anybody using a Braun Multimag slide scanner ?
Been using the same same machine for six months with no issues. Occasionally a side will scan with a thin green vertical line, a rescan and it goes. I can accept this, minor dust can cause it.
But last week I have had approx 30% scans with this problem and now the vertical lines vary in width and are black or grey, again a rescan will affect a different set of slides.
There seems to be very few user groups / forums dedicated to Braun / Reflecta branded scanners.

Any help gratefully received. I remember speaking with somebody on the FC several years ago ?

sdad

Re: Scanned Images - HELP !!!

Post by sdad » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:25 pm

Reboot the computer if it is connected.

Doughnut

Post by Doughnut » Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:53 am

Thanks for the suggestion. Somebody else suggested an connectivity issues. Is there any way of "earthing" the scanner ?
Attached an example of the problem. I can run a box of 50 slides today and then tomorrow run the same box and get different results.

Image212-24a by paul marsh, on Flickr
Image212-24b by paul marsh, on Flickr

KeBul

Post by KeBul » Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:31 pm

Hi,
I'm not familiar with that particular scanner, it does look like an intermittent readout/communications issue. I found one mention online of possible internal ribbon cable issues with multimag Slidescan 4000.

You've not mentioned too many details, like exactly what model, what scanning software, PC or Mac which Operating System, or what else you've tried... but there are some relatively simple things you can try...

Someone else mentioned reboot PC - worth a try if you've not already tried
Try a different USB port
Try a different USB cable
If possible even try a different computer.
Try different scanning software, are you are using Cyberview?? Both Silverfast and Vuescan seem to support Multimags both offer a free trial, either time limited or watermarked, but either should help with troubleshooting.

Basically what I'm trying to prove with the above is whether you have an internal scanner device issue or external hardware/software issue, the latter can probably be easily resolved - the former not so easy.

Kev

PS Earthing?? - I'd be surprised if it needed any form of separate earthing.

Black Mike

Post by Black Mike » Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:31 pm

Was also going to suggest a different cable and different USB port.

Mike

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:26 am

A quick question which may seem trivial, has the scanner moved at all during the scanning process?

I only ask this as I've discovered coloured lines on scans and its only occurred when the scanner has been moved slightly, someone bumps the desk or even the cat jumping up onto a surface causes a nudge and hey presto coloured lines. Rescan and its fine.

Doughnut

Post by Doughnut » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:41 am

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. Many months ago with a previous scanner I removed the all external effects, I run the scanner on a stand alone PC, with no external connections or interference, emails or other users. An internal wiring issue has been mentioned and I am currently emailing Braun Technical in Germany. Surprised I could not find a UK user group / forum on the subject. What scanners do other FCer's use ?
Paul

page_verify

Post by page_verify » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:57 am

That issue is almost certainly going to be within the scanner itself, a ribbon connector inside like some have mentioned or something within the imaging sensor/chips itself. There's lots of other data sent down USB links in addition to your 'image' meaning usually it's Windows/MacOS that moans first about USB devices not responding when there's a connection issue rather than a corrupt 'image' being sent.
Last edited by page_verify on Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

KeBul

Post by KeBul » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:58 am

Doughnut wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:41 am
with a previous scanner I removed the all external effects
Are you saying you've had this same problem with another scanner? - was it the same make/model?
Doughnut wrote:
What scanners do other FCer's use ?
Currently using a Nikon CoolScan 5 ED, but only available secondhand and no longer supported by Nikon, so any repairs are by third party repairers.
It's a single feed scanner, no magazine involved.

Caparcallie's point of bumping or moving the scanner during scan is a good point, I've seen coloured edges on some of my recent scans, not gone back and investigated them yet, but think it's due to the slide moving between the rbg scan and the infrared cleanup scan, space is tight where I'm operating and think I've caught the eject button a few times.

Kev

Knife 04

Post by Knife 04 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:51 am

Doughnut wrote:
Surprised I could not find a UK user group / forum on the subject. What scanners do other FCer's use ?
Paul
Paul - don't know if you are on FB but as Roughcutter mentioned in another thread there is a group on there called 'Airshow Photos - Scanning and editing hints and tips' - they maybe able to help. One of the admins of the group is also a member on here and a really good chap and has helped me before

I use a vintage Minolta Dimage Scan Dual IV slide / neg scanner from about 2003

Hope that helps

Darren

Doughnut

Post by Doughnut » Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:54 am

Thanks Darren. Have joined that group now.

chrisov

Post by chrisov » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:25 pm

Hi
Interested in the airshow photos scanning and editing hints and tips facebook page but cant seem to find it.
Have I got it right please?

Knife 04

Post by Knife 04 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:50 am

chrisov wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:25 pm
Hi
Interested in the airshow photos scanning and editing hints and tips facebook page but cant seem to find it.
Have I got it right please?
See if this works Chris

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1102434186467646

Return to “Photography Q & A / How to post photos”