Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Len Calibration - How and have you done it?

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.
tayloss

Len Calibration - How and have you done it?

Post by tayloss » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:58 am

Hi All,

I have been a photographer for a few years taking aviation pictures at airshows etc, and others in the group have mentioned its important to calibrate lenses with each of your camera bodies. Having researched this area of the hobby, it seems a mine field of paying for a dedicated service to using software to check the lens is calibrated.. My question is, how many of you have gone down the road of calibrating, and did you notice any "real world" difference in sharpness or focus of your pictures?

My kit consists of a Sigma 150-600mm, Canon 70-200mm with 7d and 70d bodies..

Interested in your views :-)

Thanks,
Chris
----------
Canon EOS 70D
Canon EOS 7D Mk II
Canon 70-200mm F4 IS
Canon 18-22mm
Sigma 150-600mm C
Canon 50mm F1.2

The Blades - Unofficial Fan Club : https://www.facebook.com/BladesUnofficial

TREBAX_RAVEN

Re: Len Calibration - How and have you done it?

Post by TREBAX_RAVEN » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:42 am

I calibrated my sigma 150-600mm sport when i had it because it was pretty diabolical with the usb calibration unit and it definitely improved it from what us was. How ever it still was never as good as i anticipated it to be. But that's a whole different story and doesn't have anything to do with calibration. So overall I've found it definitely does improve the lens. I should also mention i did do the calibrating myself
Tribute to 47 squadron

Supra

Post by Supra » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:41 am

It is amazing how bad the auto-focus can be on some lens/body combinations. Many people risk damage to the front element in an effort to avoid using a protective filter & retain what sharpness they were lucky to get with the standard set-up. They are quite correct in their assertions that a filter will affect the image sharpness....but it can ALSO be a positive improvement on some poorly calibrated set-ups! :O
The following applies to the Canon EF. lenses & cameras I use, but should be indicative of other set-ups. If you use a software package & do the process exactly as described in good light & low/no wind conditions you will get great results. Two good quality tripods & a Laptop are also required to achieve the best results, so beg, steal or borrow as required? ;)
The cameras will also remember the lens fitted & retains the info' from having perhaps a 1.4 Teleconverter fitted. The only shortcoming I have discovered is that the Software cannot distinguish between different 1.4 Teleconverters, so if are fortunate to have two 1.4 TC. you have to ensure the correct calibrated/dedicated 1.4/Lens Combo' always goes on the body. If you have done a 'complete' set-up on 1-5 bodies, the camera will remember the combo'. YOU just have to ensure the correct TC./Lens combo' goes on it! :D
Highly recommend Reikan FoCal. :thumb:

Ross Forsyth

Post by Ross Forsyth » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:14 pm

I went and used Cameracal calibration service coming up for 2 years ago,paid for 2 camera bodies (1DX and 5Dmk3) 500mm f4,100-400mm,24-105 and 2x extender to be calibrated and the results have been night and day from what i was getting before from the first outing with the cameras.
Found out I had to ease off on the sharpening in my post processing workflow as images were a lot sharper,also my 2X converter works fantastically with the 500mm and the 100-400 zoom lens now,so much so I have no hesitation in using the combo if required.

I know people moan about the cost and you can do it yourself blah blah but having spent so much on lenses and bodies why not pay a couple of hundred inc courier pick up and delivery to get it done by someone who has better facilities to do it right?

Have recommended it to several of my friends and those that have also used the service all reported being delighted with the improvement.

Ross

tayloss

Post by tayloss » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:52 am

Thanks guys.. I think I'd look at sending them away rather than doing it myself as I'd like to seem them done in a controlled environment.. All the comments seem to be of the "yes, it's worth calibrating"..

Thanks again!
----------
Canon EOS 70D
Canon EOS 7D Mk II
Canon 70-200mm F4 IS
Canon 18-22mm
Sigma 150-600mm C
Canon 50mm F1.2

WinchesterMGF

Post by WinchesterMGF » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:38 pm

I'll let you know tomorrow! Purchased a Canon77d with the L series 70-300 in January as my 1st bit of kit for some years and the combo has performed faultlessly (barring the usual user error๐Ÿ˜‰). I found the lens to be a bit short-legged so bought the Sigma 150-600 contemporary a month ago and I've struggled with it. First shots off the lens seemed softer (?) than those from my now trusty L series so, after researching the various forums and making a few recommended lens setting changes, I am booked in with Cameracal tomorrow for a while-I-wait calibration service. I expect good things, but not a true miracle cure. Watch this space for what happens next๐Ÿ‘

Fibrous Freddie

Post by Fibrous Freddie » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:59 pm

Calibrated my own Sigma 150-600C via the 'dock'. Printed off a little target chart and built/pasted the calibration 'setup' onto some wooden off-cuts.
Whole business took one afternoon (and was quite satisfying). Excellent results.
http://www.squit.co.uk/photo/focuschart.html

Supra

Post by Supra » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:52 am

That set-up Fibrous Freddie was exactly where I started in the quest for sharper results. It does rely on several physical factors including the eyesight of the person setting it up! I thought my efforts using that were the dogs danglies until I used the Reikan software. If you can multiply the focal length of the lens & read the instructions....the rest is automatic! Best bit is you can purchase different Licences & say have 5 bodies to be registered at one time (split costs with a mate??) but if you buy a new body when all 5 are assigned, it just deletes the oldest/first data! Not just a one-off/one-shot fix. ;)

tayloss

Post by tayloss » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:34 pm

WinchesterMGF wrote: โ†‘
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:38 pm
I'll let you know tomorrow! Purchased a Canon77d with the L series 70-300 in January as my 1st bit of kit for some years and the combo has performed faultlessly (barring the usual user error๐Ÿ˜‰). I found the lens to be a bit short-legged so bought the Sigma 150-600 contemporary a month ago and I've struggled with it. First shots off the lens seemed softer (?) than those from my now trusty L series so, after researching the various forums and making a few recommended lens setting changes, I am booked in with Cameracal tomorrow for a while-I-wait calibration service. I expect good things, but not a true miracle cure. Watch this space for what happens next๐Ÿ‘
How did you get on with the calibration?? Others keep recommending the software approach.. but I feel sending it away is more of a controlled environment?

Thanks,
----------
Canon EOS 70D
Canon EOS 7D Mk II
Canon 70-200mm F4 IS
Canon 18-22mm
Sigma 150-600mm C
Canon 50mm F1.2

WinchesterMGF

Post by WinchesterMGF » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:31 pm

tayloss wrote: โ†‘
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:34 pm
How did you get on with the calibration?? Others keep recommending the software approach.. but I feel sending it away is more of a controlled environment?

Thanks,
Sorry for being late with an update. In short, very glad I had it done.
Took them about two hours to fully set up the lens and match to the camera and the results are night and day by comparison. Sharpness and clarity are now spot on (subject to my still improving technique of course) and the custom switch C1 has been set to my preference for aviation photography (i.e. faster AF and smoother, yet more effective Image Stabilization.)
I was also given some very handy tips and hints as to how better set the camera up - speed read the manual when I got it but not looked again since. Not really got any comparison before and after shots but I took this last week at 400mm - seems sharp enough to me.
ImageIMG_0120 by Andrew St Edmunds, on Flickr

Hope that helps.

Andrew.

Wallace

Post by Wallace » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:05 pm

I done a custom calibration on my Canon 1DX and it made a difference.
There's a link to the Youtube tutorial https://youtu.be/7zE50jCUPhM

Ross Forsyth

Post by Ross Forsyth » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:34 am

Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:31 pm
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:34 pm

Thanks,
Sorry for being late with an update. In short, very glad I had it done.
Took them about two hours to fully set up the lens and match to the camera and the results are night and day by comparison. Sharpness and clarity are now spot on (subject to my still improving technique of course) and the custom switch C1 has been set to my preference for aviation photography (i.e. faster AF and smoother, yet more effective Image Stabilization.)
I was also given some very handy tips and hints as to how better set the camera up - speed read the manual when I got it but not looked again since. Not really got any comparison before and after shots but I took this last week at 400mm - seems sharp enough to me.
ImageIMG_0120 by Andrew St Edmunds, on Flickr

Hope that helps.

Andrew.
Never in doubt that getting them to calibrate would see a marked improvement,you really don`t realise just how much of a change it is until that first visit to begin editing the shots! :D

tayloss

Post by tayloss » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:14 pm

Thats really sharp! I think you have all said enough to push me to calibrate via a pro company...

Will likewise let you know once I have had it done!
----------
Canon EOS 70D
Canon EOS 7D Mk II
Canon 70-200mm F4 IS
Canon 18-22mm
Sigma 150-600mm C
Canon 50mm F1.2

Andy_99

Post by Andy_99 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:08 pm

Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:14 pm
Thats really sharp! I think you have all said enough to push me to calibrate via a pro company...

Will likewise let you know once I have had it done!
Does certainly look to have sharpened stuff up nicely.
searching back of sofa for discarded cash now

Return to โ€œPhotography Q & A / How to post photosโ€