Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RAW Files

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.
peasus911

RAW Files

Post by peasus911 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:05 pm

Hi, Have a EOS 90D as of this weekend. Used to have a 7D II.

When trying to read the memory card I now can't seem to use any of my photo options on my PC.

I used to read the RAW files with Picasa and Photoshop but it looks like Canon are using a new type of RAW (CR3).

Can I upload CR3 onto either of these or do I need to use the Canon Photo Professional that does seem very slow.

Also once edited I can't seem to change the file to JPEG as I used to.

Any help would be appreciated.

Richard B

Re: RAW Files

Post by Richard B » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:14 pm

You can convert all the raw files into jpeg in the camera. From what I've read up on with this new 90D.the in camera processor is very powerful and can do a lot, have a good read of the manuel it could help.
Looking at updating too this new body myself, so any pros or cons you find regarding the new 90D would be
Appreciated.

Yunglee

Post by Yunglee » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:45 pm

The other method would be to convert the CR3 files in to Adobe DNG format using Adobes free converter.

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/di ... ative.html

Hopefully your version of Photoshop should read the converted DNG's.

Lee

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:03 am

Converting to DNG is a good idea, support for older RAW file formats might cease on newer editing software. As I understand it DNG will always be backwards compaitible.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

p6025

Post by p6025 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:06 pm

Unless you use the software provided by the camera manufacturer, this is always this issue with RAW files for early adopters of new camera models. There is always a delay before third party software supports new raw files produced by any new camera model. If you are using supported software then support is usually added at some point, be that days, weeks or months. For the same reason the current version of the free Adobe DNG converter won't read these files yet either.

So until your preferred software supports these file, your choices are really to use the provided Canon DPP software, or shoot JPEG (or JEPG+RAW).

I would assume it will be 1-3 months before Adobe support this new camera raw file. If using unsupported software, then going the DNG conversion route could make sense once that option is available.

Paul.

peasus911

Post by peasus911 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:39 pm

Thank you for all of your replies. The instructions are very vague. out of the 200 odd pages in the booklet only about 20 are in English, the rest is the other 40 languages. Am currently downloading more instructions tonight.
I know I have a very nice camera, just need to be patient and take things at walking pace. Whole reason for purchasing now is to use the next four or five months to master it.
If people are interested as Richard has suggested, I will give some more feedback over the coming weeks. Thanks again.

NickC

Post by NickC » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:45 pm

Use Canon's own software (Digital Photo Professional) to work with the RAW files from the 90D until your favourite image editor can handle them. You can either edit in DPP, or export as TIFF, JPEG etc. You can download it for free from Canon's website.

Ashley H

Post by Ashley H » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:25 pm

I would be interested in any feed back on the 90D as well especially as you had the 7D II previously, i am looking to upgrade from my 60D and debating on the best route :thumb:

peasus911

Post by peasus911 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:08 pm

Ok, as Richard B suggested you can covert the RAW image into JPEG directly from the camera. Lots of button pressing to get to the correct screen on the camera as the instructions are only quick start up which I did find annoying. it does look like there is a manual to download from the camera which I will try tonight.
My initial thoughts of the cameras picture quality is very good. only one outing so far and I do need to look at a lot more shots in detail.
Was looking to get elements 18 or 19 tomorrow as they both seem to cater for CR3. Must admit I'm not a big fan of the Canon software but probably comes down to what you are comfortable with.

More soon.

peasus911

Post by peasus911 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:35 pm

I have registered my camera with the Canon website, you can then download a complete manual from the site for free. this one has 648 pages to read, lots of info now to absorb, getting more comfortable with it now after nothing short of a panic attack trying to do too much too soon. Getting better day by day,

reheat module

Post by reheat module » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:06 pm

Hope you get plenty of joy with it.
I was looking for a second crop body, for action and a bit of published wildlife.
It's a great all rounder on paper, although (not a but), even with a Digit8 processor, at 10fps, the buffer gives 25shots in raw; the 1DXii (with dual processors), will run for 14fps beyond 10sec in raw, just what you need for a100m race, or a good spell of rugby.
I think my wife will be getting the 90D for Christmas, and I'll be itching to have a play with it.
UK ONS CPI Rate checker for Sept every year... :whistle:

peasus911

Post by peasus911 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:20 pm

Ok, it's Thursday evening and the latest update so far.
I now have a very comprehensive set of instructions that I have sent to my tablet, these were a free download from the Canon site once I had registered my camera. Amazon and eBay are selling published books for around £30 so I don't need to shell out for one of those.
I have taken advise given earlier and have downloaded Adobe DNG which successfully converts my RAW CR3 images into a RAW format that both my Photoshop 18 and Windows understand. I can then edit in RAW format which is great. I have also downloaded the free Canon software and will be comparing results over the weekend.
After a shaky start I am now fully back on track and am very happy with my lot at present.
The canon software actually allows you to refine the image based on tweaks made when it picks up the actual Canon lens used, it noticed the difference in the two I used at the weekend.

Next step is to compare results with a similar shot taken with my old Canon platform.

Thanks again for all advise given to allow me to get to this stage. :thumbs:

Return to “Photography Q & A / How to post photos”