Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Photographing large formations

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.
BMrider

Photographing large formations

Post by BMrider » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:01 pm

Some photo opportunities coming up for large formation photography, how do you take yours? I have of course got the usual wide angles (Can go as wide as 10mm, but the subjects are small and there obvious distortion, thinking of using a 35mm prime (50mm on my crop sensor D300) and stitching them together in photo shop, but can see all sorts of problems, has anybody tried this and could post up some examples?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65081372@N04/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mark

Re: Photographing large formations

Post by Mark » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:05 pm

I've done a few photostitches, but not for aviation. Manual mode is the way to go
Cameraless

jeallen01

Post by jeallen01 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:05 pm

Given the variabilty of formation sizes, I would use a Zoom - probably something around at leeast 70-200mm in FF terms or equivalent in terms of the sensor size & format, and don't forget that most formations will be flying fairly high and so the individual planes will be pretty "small".

Anyway, you will probably need a body with a large sensor and high pixel count if you want the images of the individual planes to show any real detail!

John flightpath

Post by John flightpath » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:17 pm

Its pretty difficult to photograph a flypast satisfactrilly . What I tend to do is photograph the groups individually that make up the formation. Then you can crop to individual aircraft afterwards if you wish to do so.

Good look with your efforts.

Cheers
John 'flightpath'.
Equipment
Canon EOS 750D

Sigma APO OS DG 150-500mm
Canon 55-250 IS STM Lens
Sigma APO DG 70-300 lens

Return to “Photography Q & A / How to post photos”