Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RAF Tornados at Montijo Air Base

Fireman Sam

RAF Tornados at Montijo Air Base

Post by Fireman Sam » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:51 am

Hello Everybody

I´ve been told that today some RAF Tornados are coming to Montijo Air Base near Lisbon, does anyone knows about it?

Regards

Sandro Magalhães

markranger

Re: RAF Tornados at Montijo Air Base

Post by markranger » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:52 pm

Hi.

All i have found is this which is not that close to you mind.

viewtopic.php?f=100&t=1761" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure if it is part of the exercise?

Mark.
Nikon D600
Nikon D500
Nikon 300 F2.8 VR1
50mm F1.8

My Flickr Pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/markranger/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fireman Sam

Post by Fireman Sam » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:23 pm

Hi MArk

Thanks for your answer, could they stop at Montijo for refuel heading to RAF Gibraltar?

Regards

Sandro Magalhães
http://www.aerospray.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

euroradiosales

Post by euroradiosales » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:41 pm

Due to spanish restriction for UK mil fights, all fights do route via Portgual and Morocco, with a short hop into spanish airspace.

Only last friday there was an unknown within 3 miles of LXGB. The approch controler called on Guard asking to be contacted on 122.8, but he received no response. in the mean time there was an easyjet or monarch holding at PIMOS. Only after a phone call to seville did the unknown talk to Gib, which in turn was a polution monitoring heli.

Steve

RichC

Post by RichC » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:39 pm

What is the reason for the restriction of British aircraft Steve?
Is it due to the Gibraltar (who owns) business?

euroradiosales

Post by euroradiosales » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:10 am

Razor61 wrote:What is the reason for the restriction of British aircraft Steve?
Is it due to the Gibraltar (who owns) business?
Hi there,

It´s the old sovereignty claim from Spain.

Admittedly it´s a lot better than it was 5 years ago.

For instance if a Monarch or GB Airways could not land into Gib because of weather, many fights were diverted to tangier, where they would land and take off and then go to Malaga.

The reason this was done was because a fight with an arrival to Gibraltar could not land at a Spanish airport, other flights may be diverted to Faro.

5 years, on we do have flights to Madrid and Barcelona, so thing are a lot better.

Other things which have happened in the past are:

RAF C-130 (call sign Albert), doing parachute drop. being harassed by Spanish mill on 243.00 Mhz
HMS Ark Royal being followed into Gib waters by a Spanish frigate
Spanish helicopters not talking to Gib.

Considering Both Spain and the UK are NATO members, you would think things would be a little better.

Here´s a simple map showing the typical routing into Gib.

Thanks

Steve

RichC

Post by RichC » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:51 am

Wow,
never knew it was that bad... i thought civil flights went direct down through France or via Biscay and didn't know they had to route through Portugal first.
Does that explain why we had to fly from the UK to Tenerife and Gran Canaria via down the coast of Portugal as well? Or is it only for Gibraltar inbound/outbound flights?

Never knew we were harassed....
Bit like Greece and Turkey (Both NATO members0 but on a lesser scale by the sounds of it.

euroradiosales

Post by euroradiosales » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:01 pm

Razor61 wrote:Wow,
never knew it was that bad... i thought civil flights went direct down through France or via Biscay and didn't know they had to route through Portugal first.
Does that explain why we had to fly from the UK to Tenerife and Gran Canaria via down the coast of Portugal as well? Or is it only for Gibraltar inbound/outbound flights?

Never knew we were harassed....
Bit like Greece and Turkey (Both NATO members0 but on a lesser scale by the sounds of it.

sorry I should have stated the above info is for mil fights, civil do route over france and spain, the only time they dont is if french ATC are on strike.

Back to the exercise in gib, I have been trying all 13 sqd and 100 sqd air to air freqs but nothing, any ideas what frequenices they could be using?

Steve

Return to “Lisboa”