Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

EGLIN AFB

b0nd08

EGLIN AFB

Post by b0nd08 » Sat May 22, 2010 1:07 pm

hi all im on holiday to orlando all july, we are taking a trip up to the pensacola naval aviation musuem which looks amazing!! also noticed that eglin AFB wernt to far from this, on their site it looks like they have F35's! so i was just wondering if anyone had been spotting there and where abouts to go etc? thanks in advance.

JAWS

Re: EGLIN AFB

Post by JAWS » Sat May 22, 2010 3:15 pm

Bond I have been past Eglin before and although you can see the aircraft in their sun shelter's from certain places around the perimeter they are located away from the road and fairly difficult to read or photo unless taxing or taking off and that depends on the direction they are heading. I was limited on time and therefore could not explore for better viewing area's. Most of the airfield is surrounded by trees. There is also the USAF Armament Museum located very near to the base and an F-15 preserved at the terminal of the Regional Airport which shares the site.
Also if you are going to be down that way on July 10th/11th the Pensacola Beach Airshow is on ( http://www.visitpensacolabeach.com/what/airshow.asp ). I thoroughly recommend the museum at Pensacola , the museum is located on the base so be sure to take your passports as I don't think they will accept UK driving licence's . Be sure to register for the bus tour of the flightline when you first arrive , spaces are limited. If you can't make it for the airshow then there is always the chance that if the Blue Angels are in town you can catch one of their practice sessions. Hope this help's you out.
Regards Steve............

"If the Military had to make money, they'd be doomed !!"
Chuck Adams, Buffalo Airlines.

Neil D

Post by Neil D » Sun May 23, 2010 9:58 am

They haven't got any F-35s yet and the last of the F-15C/Ds departed in September.

Guess its just the test aircraft.

Neil

GOOSE

Post by GOOSE » Sun May 23, 2010 1:56 pm

Blue Angels practice schedules -

2010 Blue Angel practice schedule released:
March 23, 24*, 30, 31*
April 1, 2, 6, 7*, 13, 14*, 20, 21*, 27, 28*
May 4, 5*, 11, 12*, 18, 19*
June 1, 2*, 8, 9*, 15, 16*, 22, 23*
July 13, 14*, 20
August 10, 11*, 18*, 19, 24, 25*
September 7, 8*, 14, 15*
October 12, 13*, 19, 20*, 26, 27*
November 2, 3*
November 12-13 - Blue Angels Homecoming Air Show, NAS Pensacola

http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/Plan ... ctivities-(1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)/BlueAngelsPractices.aspx need to cut and paste into your browser bar.

RichC

Post by RichC » Sun May 23, 2010 4:41 pm

Eglin AFB is due to gain 12 x F-35A's in 2011 according to the USAF Base re-organisation programme.
So i expect the F-35 is as Neil said, a test example ready to receive the 12 next year.

b0nd08

Post by b0nd08 » Mon May 24, 2010 8:01 pm

thanks for the replies, yeah we were going to go to that airshow but the only thing in interest there is the blue angels, the hotels are very expensive working up about £200 a night on the show dates plus theres warning of very heavy traffic so we decided not to go. i really cant wait to get to that museum though, and to see my some tomcats (life long dream) :thumbs: i had no idea that the museum is located on a base :Wow: is it just the blue angels based there?

JAWS

Post by JAWS » Mon May 24, 2010 8:54 pm

Bond you will find T-39's , T-6A's , T-1A's , T-45A's and T-44's there as well as the Blue Angels. There are usually some Marine / Navy F/A-18's buzzing around as well. There are a couple of Preserved aircraft around the base which you will pass , ask at the main gate ( where one located ) if it's okay to pull over and stop to photograph these. There are a couple of aircraft on display nearby and on the route you would take from Orlando to Pensacola , Here is a link to a website that some Gate Guardians and displayed aircraft in Florida , check it out you might find a couple of other places to stop at on the way.

http://www.warbirdsandairshows.com/flor ... guards.htm
Regards Steve............

"If the Military had to make money, they'd be doomed !!"
Chuck Adams, Buffalo Airlines.

b0nd08

Post by b0nd08 » Mon May 24, 2010 9:26 pm

brilliant thanks for all the tips!!! im buzzin for this trip now :Wow:

Return to “United States of America”