Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

NEW ORLEANS NAS JRB BASE.

chopper92

NEW ORLEANS NAS JRB BASE.

Post by chopper92 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:55 pm

Thinking of going to New Orleans (MSY). hoping to go to the NAS JRB base.(alvin Callender). any spotting tips . I am particularly interested in the USCG base

thanks
chopper 92

david14

Re: NEW ORLEANS NAS JRB BASE.

Post by david14 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:12 pm

Hi Chopper
I visited JRB about four years ago, it has a good variety of based aircraft but you'll need to be patient. The big challenge is that you can't see anything of the base from outside, it's quite wooded, but it's not too bad at either end for flying.
I was there for a Friday and they were taking off/landing from west to east. In the morning the JZ F15s must have been out very early because six came back around 0900. A few River Rattlers went up with a couple of ATAC Kfirs, a USN C130 went out and a couple of CG choppers flew. The afternoon was dead.
For the take-offs I went to Barriere Road to the north east, this is a no through road and pretty quiet. For the landings I went to Buccaneer Road, there's a good spot as it crosses some water near the end of the runway - might be less good though if they are taking off that way because of the trees.
The USCG part is on the east of the main platform.
The show is scheduled for November, that provides an opportunity to get on base and see the preserved aircraft, plus there's a Marine Corps reserve helicopter unit based.

Lakefront is worth a visit too, apart from the impressive terminal, I've seen military aircraft there both times I've been. There's also a few museums in the area.

chopper92

Post by chopper92 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:21 am

thanks for info
chopper92

Andy Marden

Post by Andy Marden » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:17 pm

Minor correction. The USCG hangar is at the western end: N29.82215, W90.02622

Return to “United States of America”