Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

MCAS Yuma

Jason Grant

MCAS Yuma

Post by Jason Grant » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:32 pm

Hi Folks,

I am heading out to MCAS Yuma for a day of photography and have been trying to find out as much information as I can about best places to photograph and how strict the security is at this base.

From what I have found out, the best place to photograph south of the airfield is north of the crossroads of S 4th Ave and E Country 14th Street. This should give you excellent opportunities in the morning for photography as jets return. Google Earth Co-ordinates 32°37'38.47N 114°37'57.37W. During the afternoon there appears to be an excellent position on S 4th Ave at Google Earth 32°38'34.49N 114°37'34.89W but this position overlooks the base and I would imagine that it attracts the attention of the base security.

North of the airfield E 32nd Street looks to have excellent positions for photography although being next to the main road can be a problem. I dont know of any parking restrictions but they may have some around here. I can see a car park which looks ideal for afternoon photography. Google Earth 32°40'11.20N 114°35'29.94W

If anyone can add anything to this post which will help anyone else travelling out to MCAS Yuma, please do. If any of these positions aren't suitable for whatever reason, please make us aware for future reference.

To help with security, never point any cameras, scopes etc. towards the base.

Cheers.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonintamworth/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

oscar01

Re: MCAS Yuma

Post by oscar01 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:46 am

Morning Iceman,

How did you do here (outside)? Were there possibilities to spot? I'm having a visit on 15th Feb, but that's only morning and want to spot from outside as well.

Did you visit El Centro as well?

Regards,
Oscar

oscar01

Post by oscar01 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:20 pm

Thanks for your help! Will post after my visit how I succeeded (but that will be end of Feb)....

Regards,
Oscar

Jason Grant

Post by Jason Grant » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:34 pm

Hi Oscar, I spent a day sitting on the approach for 03L (32°37'46.94"N 114°38'11.41W) on the side of the road just waiting. It does give up good views of aircraft on approach but depending on which runway they use it can be hit and miss. We did get watched but not approached, this was possibly because we didn't point anything towards the base and stayed on the far side of the road all day. We did move around the corner slightly as the sun moved around but the road does drop away from the perimeter fence making it difficult to see anything. A small dirt hill made the situation slightly better. As for the north of the base, the Fairgrounds as it's called by the locals is the usual place to view aircraft on approach, (I was told this by a local I was given the contact details for before I travelled) It is a large car park but when I was there, it was all dug up and I dont know if it has been relayed or it was a permanent thing. I am flying out again at the beginning of February so I will let you know when I return.

As for El Centro, we had a base visit so we didn't have to view from outside although one of my mates who I was with had spent the day there six months earlier on the outside. He said it's very good and the security patrols and pilots regularly waved at him and others who were there. They expect people outside as the Blue Angels practice and fly from there during Febrauary. I also saw photos of the pilots last year, who came outside the fence to meet the public who were watching and signed autographs and had pictures taken with them, which was nice. :Wow:

HTH
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonintamworth/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “United States of America”