Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

NAS North Island/ MCAS Miramar

Gunfighter01

NAS North Island/ MCAS Miramar

Post by Gunfighter01 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:49 am

Hi all,

I am visiting San Diego in the next couple of weeks and wondered if anyone can recommend any good photographic spots for either of the above, or point me to a website where i can find the frequencies used by the 2 bases and their aircraft.

Thanks Duncan

Malcolm

Re: NAS North Island/ MCAS Miramar

Post by Malcolm » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:45 pm

Neither are Brilliant.

[Mirimar]
There is a Motorway running under the Eastern approach. From here you can see the ramps, but they're a long way away. People do stop here, but you aren't really supposed to. It's very likely that a civilian or military police car will arrive sooner rather than later and tell you to move. Sometimes you can last an hour or two. Othertimes it'll be less than 5 minutes. Pot luck really. The locals can and do grass you up to the base.

[North Island]
You can sit on the beach at the southern end of the base and photograph stuff on the approach. Don't get too close to the fence, or go too far up the beach side of the base - the "lifeguard tower" actually has military people in it, and they will blow their whistles and wave their arms at you. If you stay further south you should be fine. Back on the mainland, distant views of the ramps are available from several seafront carparks, and from the US national park at Gillicker point - not much good for photos, but ok for number crunching.
There used to be a bus tour of the base too organised by the local tourist office. I don't know if it still runs, but if it does, worth a look.

Cheers,
Malcolm

Gunfighter01

Post by Gunfighter01 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:36 pm

Thanks Malcom,

That has been a big help :)

roadstar1845

Post by roadstar1845 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:09 pm

Visiting Miramar May this year, does anyone have details of how to secure a base visit similar to AMARC?

GOOSE

Post by GOOSE » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:55 pm

Most direct way is to write a letter or email the Public Relations Officer / Public Affairs Office.

Marine Corps Air Station Miramar
Public Affairs Office
P.O. Box 452017
San Diego, CA 92145-2017

smbmiramarmcas.comrel@usmc.mil

Bus: (858) 577-6000
Fax: (858) 577-6001
After Hours: (858) 864-3406
http://www.miramar.usmc.mil/default.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck. :thumb:

roadstar1845

Post by roadstar1845 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:50 pm

Goose, many thanks, I'll let you know how I go on. The intention is to drive down from LA via El Centro for a quick pit stop.
I've got a feeling that this time I may be unlucky, but you never know. Roadstar

roadstar1845

Post by roadstar1845 » Tue May 01, 2012 7:51 pm

Update, my partner has secured me a visit to Miramar after fruitlessly trying the web and their own website. not to be beaten she actually rang them and got through!!!! I'll update when I return on how successful it was.

roadstar1845

Post by roadstar1845 » Thu May 17, 2012 12:55 am

Success visited on Monday and given a fifty minute drive around the flight line allowed to photograph out. Of the car window whilst being driven by a marine sgt. Just hope I don't lose any of the shots till I get back next Friday Many thanks for the info goose.

GOOSE

Post by GOOSE » Fri May 18, 2012 11:04 am

Looking forward to them mate and glad you were successful. :thumb:

roadstar1845

Post by roadstar1845 » Sun May 27, 2012 7:34 pm

Well we're back and everything from Miramar is downloaded onto my computer. I don't know what the interest level will be, any limits as to how many I can paste to the forum or do I just go for say the best half dozen?
Had a quick look on FAQ, all looks a bit tecchy to me, definately not schooled in the cyber age, come to that schooled before Sinclair and Spectrum,. Cookies come in packets don't they?

WebmasterMiramar

Post by WebmasterMiramar » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:17 pm

Hello Gentlemen and Women of Fighter Control UK,

I am the webmaster at MCAS Miramar California.

One of the Marines in the PAO office brought this post to my attention as it had incorrect information.

The following email is INCORRECT: smbmiramarmcas.comrel@usmc.mil

The correct contact information: miramarmedia@usmc.mil

The web page for PAO is: http://www.miramar.usmc.mil/index.html#/pao

Goose, would it be possible to edit your post as to reflect the correct information?

Thanks!

Webmaster MCAS Miramar
Webmaster 3D MAW
@mcasmiramarCA

Return to “United States of America”