Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Blackbird airpark

NotPennysBoat

Blackbird airpark

Post by NotPennysBoat » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:40 am

Anyone been to the blackbird airpark in California at Edwards AFB? I'm thinking of going when I'm in California. Also what about march AFB and USS Midway Museum? Are they worth visiting?
Check out some of my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125361123 ... 711095037/

Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 7D Mark II | DJI Phantom 4

david14

Re: Blackbird airpark

Post by david14 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:17 am

Hi

The Blackbird Airpark is actually at Palmdale, there's a second museum next to it (Joe Davies) - all this stuff is visible from outside and the three aircraft at the Blackbird Airpark are well worth the visit. Palmdale is near Edwards AFB

March is now a Reserve Base, the best thing there is the museum. On the opposite side of the field are the active aircraft (KC135 and C17s), they can be photographed but are a long way away and in the top corner is a detachment of CA ANG fighters. When I went in the Spring, there were 4 CA ANG F16s (due to be replaced by F15s). I posted some photos of the museum towards the end of April, again well worth a visit

USS Midway is excellent, easy location in the centre of San Diego. I posted some photos in the autumn, again well worth visiting

Tronk 11

Post by Tronk 11 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:34 pm

I've been to the Blackbird Air park, as I can remember a SR-71, A-12 & drone, superb little park. You have to shoot through a fence, but the sun is perfect on them. I remember its Plant 42 for Palmdale too, so I saw a B-1 there & some 'shapes' that had tarps over them for the B-2 program. Its a massive base.

NotPennysBoat

Post by NotPennysBoat » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:03 pm

david14 wrote:Hi

The Blackbird Airpark is actually at Palmdale, there's a second museum next to it (Joe Davies) - all this stuff is visible from outside and the three aircraft at the Blackbird Airpark are well worth the visit. Palmdale is near Edwards AFB

March is now a Reserve Base, the best thing there is the museum. On the opposite side of the field are the active aircraft (KC135 and C17s), they can be photographed but are a long way away and in the top corner is a detachment of CA ANG fighters. When I went in the Spring, there were 4 CA ANG F16s (due to be replaced by F15s). I posted some photos of the museum towards the end of April, again well worth a visit

USS Midway is excellent, easy location in the centre of San Diego. I posted some photos in the autumn, again well worth visiting
I heard the BB airpark and Joe Davies museum and free entry?

I'll probably give March a miss!

Definitely want to visit USS Midway though, it looks fantastic

Tronk 11 wrote:I've been to the Blackbird Air park, as I can remember a SR-71, A-12 & drone, superb little park. You have to shoot through a fence, but the sun is perfect on them. I remember its Plant 42 for Palmdale too, so I saw a B-1 there & some 'shapes' that had tarps over them for the B-2 program. Its a massive base.
Pretty sure it's a museum and you can go right up to them inside the fence? Seen many public photos right next to them?
Check out some of my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125361123 ... 711095037/

NotPennysBoat

Post by NotPennysBoat » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:13 pm

Also, what is there todo in Palmdale or nearby that's not plane related? I'm travelling about 90 minutes to go see this and I don't think my girlfriend is gonna want to travel all that way just for some planes! Anything interesting in the area that we could do or try?

CookyBoy

Post by CookyBoy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:35 pm

Edwards has a very big museum too, well wrth the visit, Lancaster which is near palmdale has some good shopping!!
You wont be long at the bird park, so you could use that as a stop off enroute to edwards.
Steve

NotPennysBoat

Post by NotPennysBoat » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:14 pm

Hm, sounds like it might be a plan.. She might be more interested in the shopping and the museum than just some planes in a park haha thanks for that

Neil Owen

Post by Neil Owen » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:58 am

I dont think the museum at Edwards is open to the public, unless your on the pre booked base tour.

Return to “United States of America”