Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RAF Display Jaguars - '89 onwards

Warbirds, Replicas and Nostalgic photos in here please.
F3

RAF Display Jaguars - '89 onwards

Post by F3 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:23 am

Over the years I've covered the history of most of the display jets in the RAF inventory but not the Jaguar so I decided that the time has come to address that omission. Prior to '91 the display jets were standard examples operated by 226
OCU up @ Lossiemouth in the tactical camo with the OCU emblem of crossed quiver of arrows and torch on the air intake and the unit's tartan ( believed to be that of a former CO) on the RWR. The first named display pilot I have been able to establish was Sqn Ldr Tom Mallorie who filled the role in '89 and '90. In '91 we saw the first special paint scheme worn by the display jet when XX965 appeared with a black tail fin incorporating an enlarged emblem forward of the tricolour and a small heraldic unit badge on the air intake. I have not been able to identify the pilot but he must have been good as he won the John Watt Trophy @ Fighter Meet. By 1993 the unit had undergone a change of identity to 16 Sqn. and celebrated by fielding a lovely all black jet (XX116) wearing its official crossed keys emblem on the air intake and unofficial matchstick saint on the fin. This scheme was copied from that applied to one of the squadron's Tornados on the occasion of its 75 th Ann in 1990. This was first flown by Flt Lt Gary Miller who was subsequently succeeded by Flt Lt Andy Cubin. The black cat served for a couple of seasons and proved very reliable but when Flt Lt Mark Cutmore took over the baton in 1996 it was back to a standard squadron jet, altho' now all in grey. The succession of Flt Lt Chris Carder in '99 was marked by the return to a special scheme with two jets bearing a black fin with the saint motif. He in turn was succeeded by Flt Lt Paul Binns for the millenium season, the last hurrah for the Jaguar at Lossie as a move to Coltishall was imminent. This was commemorated by the 2002 display jet flown by Flt Lt Mark Hayes XX768 which carried the title and coat of arms of the city of Norwich on its RWR, again on a black fin with the saint motif. Each time I saw his display it was in a different jet. Altho' the Norwich jet performed at Duxford's Spring show in August he pitched up @ Elvington in a 41 Sqn. jet and then just a few days later he displayed a standard 16 Sqn. jet at a Linton graduation. Flt Lt Jim Turner, the '04 display pilot flew a jet very similar to the Norwich one but with the cross of St. George on the RWR which proved to be the last 16 Sqn. display jet as the drawdown of the Jaguar force, prior to the closure of Coltishall saw the disbandment of 16 squadron with the training task taken on by a flight of 41 Sqn.

ImageDisplay Jags - XX723 226 OCU Scampton '89 by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageDisplay Jags - XX965 226 OCU '91 (1) by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageConingsby - Display Jaguar 16 Sqn '94 (1) by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageDisplay Jags - FLt Andy Cubin '94 by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageDisplay Jaguars - D 16 Sqn. '97 by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageDisplay Jaguars - C 16 Sqn '97 (2) by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageDisplay Jags - F Lt Chris Carder 16 Sqn. '99 by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageDisplay Jags - F Lt Paul Binns + 2000 Display Team by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageDisplay Jags - 2000 Display Schedule by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageDisplay Jaguars - XX766 '02 by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageDisplay Jaguars - FF 41 Sqn '05 by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageDisplay Jags - FF 41 Sqn. F Lt Mike Hayes (1) by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageDisplay Jags - Linton Aug '02 by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageDisplay Jags - PC 16 Sqn Linton Aug '02 by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageDisplay Jags - PC 16 Sqn Linton Aug '02 (2) by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageDisplay Jaguars - 30th Ann sch '0- by Michael Britton, on Flickr

Snoop 95

Re: RAF Display Jaguars - '89 onwards

Post by Snoop 95 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:33 pm

Very nice collection! Thanks for posting

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:54 pm

Nice. IIRC, some years ago I had a a discussion on here about a video of a VERY low flying Omani [I think} Jaguar. I thought it was Bob Thompson flying it, but Andy Cubin posted that it was him. A very good discussion and some very good cockpit video emerged, where he said that the Radio Altimeter seldom showed more than 35 feet!!!!!!. :cool:

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:15 pm

Very nice to see the Jaguars and a very informative post you have there Michael :thumb:

Thanks, Mike Fisher

david14

Post by david14 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:43 pm

Like those, great post. The calendar for 2000 makes for an interesting comparison with whatever a normal year would look like now - we've lost so many airshows!

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:31 am

Hi Mick :P

Stalky little cats and my beloved Colt in one set :Wow:

Awesome :thumbs:

Thanks for posting :thumb:

Paddyboy :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

reheat module

Post by reheat module » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:06 pm

What a great compilation of images and data.
I really enjoyed the read and looking at those.
Nice to see the Groundcrew too, at least one face I recognise!
Great to see the "Bathtaps of Power" rightly positioned in the same photo too...👍😎
UK ONS CPI Rate checker for Sept every year... :whistle:

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:10 am

Excellent post :thumbs:

F3

Post by F3 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:57 pm

Thanks for the positive responses guys. This post was the last thing I did before checking in @ the Leeds Nuffield for surgery. I'm now the proud owner of a new right hip with 0 hrs on the clock. Can thoroughly recommend this establishment if any of you ever find y'selves in need of surgery.

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:51 pm

Thanks for the nostalgia but more importantly wishing you a good, if not speedy recovery

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:58 pm

Hi, F.3. Had my routine 5 year post replacement hip X.Ray last week. Hope yours is as good as mine. :)

F3

Post by F3 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:34 pm

raptor9 wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:58 pm
Hi, F.3. Had my routine 5 year post replacement hip X.Ray last week. Hope yours is as good as mine. :)
So do I. All good so far and as I've every confidence in the surgeon there's no reason to think otherwise. What i'm pleasantly surprised by is the lack of pain which does nt seem natural when you've had a joint replaced but he says that the osteoarthritis was causing me so much pain that it's removal has effected an improvement. Anyway I'll stay on the co-codamol just in case!

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:51 am

Soon have you breakdancing, Mick :lol:

Take care :thumbs:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

F3

Post by F3 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:39 pm

paddyboy wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:51 am
Soon have you breakdancing, Mick :lol:

Take care :thumbs:
Sod that paddyboy. Just getting to and around airshows will suit me fine. Fear it just might snooker my Blue Badge appl'n tho', more's the pity.
Merry Christmas

Mick

Phil H

Post by Phil H » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:02 pm

Interesting record of the Jaguar Display airframes.

Some additional info. The 1993 scheme was not a copy of 16 Squadron's 1990 Tornado. It originated from a separate scheme for a 16(R) Squadron flagship, which could double as the Display airframe and which was only approved, by higher authority, after it was demonstrated that the scheme could meet a Squadron task to evaluate a proposed black camouflage scheme for the Jaguar fleet. The final scheme was modified and diluted, with matt black paint applied rather gloss black paint and some of the intended yellow outlining was not incorporated, as it was likely to make the aircraft too conspicuous at low level. Flt Lt Gary Miller tested both XX116 and XX119, before choosing the better handling airframe.
' Lift me up where I belong - where the eagles fly '

F3

Post by F3 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:25 pm

Phil H wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:02 pm
Interesting record of the Jaguar Display airframes.

Some additional info. The 1993 scheme was not a copy of 16 Squadron's 1990 Tornado. It originated from a separate scheme for a 16(R) Squadron flagship, which could double as the Display airframe and which was only approved, by higher authority, after it was demonstrated that the scheme could meet a Squadron task to evaluate a proposed black camouflage scheme for the Jaguar fleet. The final scheme was modified and diluted, with matt black paint applied rather gloss black paint and some of the intended yellow outlining was not incorporated, as it was likely to make the aircraft too conspicuous at low level. Flt Lt Gary Miller tested both XX116 and XX119, before choosing the better handling airframe.
Interesting, but I can't believe it was nt at least 'inspired' by the earlier GR1 scheme. I have pics of both and it's v. much a case of 'spot the difference'. Thanks for the addt'l info tho' which is appreciated. What this does show is how difficult it was to get a display scheme authorised for certain types but seemingly easier for others. Guess it was down to the attitude of the AOC. Think I'm right in saying that the Jag was the last of the RAF fast jets to sport one.

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:40 pm

Used to love the Jag displays. Especially at Llanidloes, low and fast hiding in the valleys .

That Kitty certainly had claws!!
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

Return to “Warbirds, Replicas and Nostalgic Photography”