Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

The Tornado GR1 (Stealth) Variant

Warbirds, Replicas and Nostalgic photos in here please.
eLaReF

The Tornado GR1 (Stealth) Variant

Post by eLaReF » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:20 am

This was only ever seen once publicly that I know of - At the 1991 Leuchars Battle of Britain Show

Nearby was the Jetstream from 750Sq RN

ImageZE440 British Aerospace jetstream T3 msn 695 750Sq Royal Navy by eLaReF, on Flickr

Then there was this Tornado - Normally weel-kent for it's 'Saint' logo and black colour scheme

ImageZA591 Panavia Tornado GR1 msn BS034 16 Sq (The Stealth Tornado) by eLaReF, on Flickr

However, the RAF obviously didn't guard it overnight.......
It acquired a couple of large 'zaps' - Note the discretely applied tape nearly matching the aircraft colour (OK - Let's call it camouflaged)

ImageZA591 Panavia Tornado GR1 msn BS034 16 Sq (The Stealth Tornado) with 750Sq 'zaps'1 by eLaReF, on Flickr

The small furthest away one has the sign

Tornado GR1
Stealth
Variant

Only
Recently
Publicly
Displayed

The larger one states:-

The Tornado GR1 (Stealth) Variant has only recently been seen in public as a direct result of its successful participation in Operation Desert Storm. Unlike the USAF F-117 the GR1 (Stealth) has used the existing airframes and has taken advantage of the most up-to-date anti-radar technology.
These include
a.Radar Absorbent Paint. This has been developed at a considerable cost and cannot be bought at Texas Superstores
b.Radar Absorbent Flying Suits/Helmets. Little has been released by the Ministry of Defense regarding these items
c.Radar Absorbent Aircrew This select band of specially mutated cretins was hand-picked from a cast of 4 who were not around when volunteers were asked for. This brave band of aviators are the only Tornado GR1 aircrew who have had their heads implanted with the microscopic IFF sensor which further limits emissions
Further research is continuing into this aspect of Tornado operations and the Ministry of Defence has promised to keep the British public informed of any further developments

ImageZA591 Panavia Tornado GR1 msn BS034 16 Sq (The Stealth Tornado) 750Sq 'zap' by eLaReF, on Flickr

Apologies for the quality of the last pics, the RAF had by then got ultra-sensitive about its property and I had to be surreptitious with the camera..........
EDI Spotter since 1958 (When it was RAF Turnhouse)
If you are impatient, all of my photos are at https://www.flickr.com/photos/elaref/co ... 913377036/

paddyboy

Re: The Tornado GR1 (Stealth) Variant

Post by paddyboy » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:35 am

:lol:

Only the RAF :whistle:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

alhenderson

Post by alhenderson » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:54 pm

Interesting! I have almost exactly the same shot of the Stealth GR.1. But it looks from mine that the expose isn't there on the nose - did the men in blacked out Range Rover get to it? :-)

ImageZA591 by Alistair Henderson, on Flickr

eLaReF

Post by eLaReF » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:03 pm

alhenderson wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:54 pm
Did the men in blacked out Range Rover get to it? :-)
The Thick plottens!!
EDI Spotter since 1958 (When it was RAF Turnhouse)
If you are impatient, all of my photos are at https://www.flickr.com/photos/elaref/co ... 913377036/

Return to “Warbirds, Replicas and Nostalgic Photography”