Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Opinions wanted

Warbirds, Replicas and Nostalgic photos in here please.
eLaReF

Opinions wanted

Post by eLaReF » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:02 am

At a photo club I attended the judges often used phrases like "If it doesn't add to the story, cut it off!"
So a lot of my photos are cropped top & bottom to remove acres of sky and foreground. They would, therefore, get instantly rejected by the likes of AB-Pic, jetPhotos etc.

e.g.
Image139531 N. American AF-1E Fury c/n 209-151 4B109 VT-86 by eLaReF, on Flickr

But, following my 'Must remove lamp-posts' comment I went back to it
Image139531-Edit by eLaReF, on Flickr

But, apart from no lamp-posts I've left it full frame

What format do you prefer? - Note that, whatever the result, I'm not going back to change 000's of Flickr pix to full-frame!
EDI Spotter since 1958 (When it was RAF Turnhouse)
If you are impatient, all of my photos are at https://www.flickr.com/photos/elaref/co ... 913377036/

Nighthawke

Re: Opinions wanted

Post by Nighthawke » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:26 am

Personally I am not fussed when it comes to W&R posts. Content will always over-ride image quality. I am sure you will get a cross section of opinions. Some will always want clear and clutter free images. As with any art form it is subjective. I would suggest that many will just be happy with what's posted.

tm74sqn

Post by tm74sqn » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:41 pm

As long as photo subject is OK I'm not at all bothered. However, I never "muck-about" with photos I have taken - much prefer to adjust camera position (low/high/left/right/nearer,further), lens, etc, to avoid things like lamp posts. Photoshop will never make a fortune from me! NB. Other software to do similar photo editing is also available.
Cheers, TM74

daggerfan

Post by daggerfan » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:58 pm

I always stick with the original 3x2 format for my pictures.

As for lamp-posts, I didn't take much notice of them at the time at Pima, but looking back at my pics I found them quite a distraction in a number of shots. There were so many of them it was almost impossible to avoid getting them in the picture. When digitising my slides taken there in 1982 I cloned the posts out as much as possible.

In pictures I take these days I clone out background posts if they are too distracting.

dollar99

Post by dollar99 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:48 pm

I too edit my scanned slides to give a finished 3x2 or 1500 x 1000 pixels if you prefer.

As to intruding artefacts, I do tend to take out some quite small bits of airfield "furniture" that perhaps detract from the image, especially where they look like an extra aerial but mostly I stick with what I shot as it is what I shot ;) However, if I do clone anything out I keep an original too :cool:
Eagles soar, but Weasels don't get sucked in to jet engines.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/139706453@N02/albums

SonyShooter1955

Post by SonyShooter1955 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:39 am

Would have thought that generally there is no story to tell. Most of such photos are a record of the airframe as it was at the time. Since my TV, PC Screen and tablet are all 16.9 I use this on my cameras. Cropping shots to remove unneeded foreground and background doesn't take anything away from the shot I think . I like to use HDR for static aircraft as the background sky can be more interesting. Generally if you like it, do it.

Return to “Warbirds, Replicas and Nostalgic Photography”