Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Reds Birthday Bash - 30 Yrs. Ago Today 4 Oct '89

Warbirds, Replicas and Nostalgic photos in here please.
F3

Reds Birthday Bash - 30 Yrs. Ago Today 4 Oct '89

Post by F3 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:57 am

As the Red Arrows celebrate their 55th Birthday this year I thought it an opportune time to turn back the clock to 1989 and their Silver Jubilee bash @ Scampton. Here are the surviving photos of just a few of the guests notable among who were all the other European display teams. You will see from the ticket price that this was an expensive event for the time but as a once only occasion most found it well worthwhile. Where else that season could you see all Europe's top display teams perform?

ImageScampton - Red Arrows Silver Jubilee show ticket by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageScampton - Tornado GR1 596 45 Sqn. Oct '89 by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageScampton- CAF CF188 Hornet by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageScampton - CAF CF188 (1) by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageScampton - Hawk ZH200 '89 by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageScampton - Vulcan XH558 (3) by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageScampton - Asas de Portugal by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageScampton - Cessna T37 Asas de Portugal by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageScampton - Team Aguila (1) by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageScampton - Team Aguila by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageScampton - Patrouille de France (1) by Michael Britton, on Flickr

Sparts99

Re: Reds Birthday Bash - 30 Yrs. Ago Today 4 Oct '89

Post by Sparts99 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:09 am

I was at that, got some pics somewhere. I had a long chat with the crew of the militarised BA146 at the end of the day. They were on a sales pitch to the Swiss Air Force and flew in their support kit FOC. Speaking of which the Swiss in the Hunters were the highlight for me, immaculate formation flying.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

F3

Post by F3 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:04 am

Sparts99 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:09 am
I was at that, got some pics somewhere. I had a long chat with the crew of the militarised BA146 at the end of the day. They were on a sales pitch to the Swiss Air Force and flew in their support kit FOC. Speaking of which the Swiss in the Hunters were the highlight for me, immaculate formation flying.
I have to agree with you there. It was the 1st. time I'd seen the Pat. Suisse and was well impressed. Regrettably the camera loaded with slide film for their display suffered a shutter malfunction so all the slides of them had a white line through (annoying) so the only decent pics of them I got was of the individual a/c landing @ the end of their display. Thanks for the info on the 146. Thought it was just in the static for publicity. Did nt realise that the Swiss had got free use of it. Clever people the Swiss. Also make good cheese.

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:12 am

Hi Mick :P

Must have been a great show :thumbs:

If Paul Millikin was in the left seat of XH, t'would have been a cracking display ;)

Thanks for posting :thumb:

Paddyboy :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

willroney

Post by willroney » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:47 pm

Think this was the (so far) only VHS video I ever bought 'mail order' - don't know where it is now; there have been many house moves since then.

warthog56

Post by warthog56 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:49 am

I attended this event and enjoyed it greatly despite the overcast weather. Besides the Swiss Hunter team the other highlight for me was the solo demonstration by the TYphoon predecessor , the EAP prototype. Looked quite futuristic back then but look at what is flying now - lots of flat "pancakes"! Stealth has a lot to answer for. Goodness knows how we'll cope when "cloaking" devices become the norm!

Return to “Warbirds, Replicas and Nostalgic Photography”