Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RIAT - The Cottesmore Years Pt. 2 RIAT 2000

Warbirds, Replicas and Nostalgic photos in here please.
F3

RIAT - The Cottesmore Years Pt. 2 RIAT 2000

Post by F3 » Sat May 18, 2019 2:36 pm

The display on the Saturday provided a shock to the system, as after one of the hottest weeks of the summer a sea fret seemed to have drifted inland from the Wash and settled on Cottesmore, considerably disrupting the display schedule. After a few flat displays, fast jet activity was suspended for the morning, altho' not before the Voltige Victor Mirage F1s and Hungarian MiG- 29 had performed. The pilot of the latter actually won one of the aerobatic trophies, altho' I think all the fast jet jockeys who flew in the marginal conditions deserved a new 'Balls of Steel' trophy. Other trophies went to the USAF C-17A and Swiss AF Super Puma shown below. Rare for a helicopter display to win one. Another rarity was the sight of Greek and Turkish F-4s parked next to each other in the static as this was the first time that I can recall both nations attending the event. Also on static display were Canadian CF-18s, homeward bound after participating in the NATO operation against Serbia, over Kosovo. These carried a rat's head badge atop the fin due to an apparent rodent infestation of their erstwhile quarters whilst on detachment. A secondary theme of the show being the 75th Anniverary of the UAS organisation there were impressive line -ups of their aircraft, replacement of the venerable Bulldog with the Grob Tutor proceeding apace.

ImageRIAT 2000 - C-130W 'Snoopy' DERA by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageRIAT 2000 - C130 1361 136 AW USAF by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageRIAT 2000 - SA Bulldog SWUAS by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageRIAT 2000 - Grob Tutor G-BYUL by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageRIAT 2000 - AMX 103 Gp. AMI by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageRIAT 2000 - CF-18 733 CAF (Note rat's head badge on fin) by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageRIAT 2000 - Turkish & Greek F-4s by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageRIAT 2000 - Super Puma T-317 Swiss AF by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageRIAT 2000 - The 1st C-130 in Europe Swedish AF by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageRIAT 2000 - C17A 96-0007 437 AW USAF by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageRIAT 2000 - Voltige Victor Mirage F1s AdlA by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageRIAT 2000 - Mirage F1 33-FC FAF by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageRIAT 2000 - MiG in the murk MiG29 Hungarian AF by Michael Britton, on Flickr

Unknown74

Re: RIAT - The Cottesmore Years Pt. 2 RIAT 2000

Post by Unknown74 » Sat May 18, 2019 9:58 pm

Would have loved to have attended the RIAT at Cottesmore but unfortunately Family Illness and other pieces of bad luck (which I will not go into) prevented me going.

F3

Post by F3 » Sun May 19, 2019 9:05 am

Unknown74 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 9:58 pm
Would have loved to have attended the RIAT at Cottesmore but unfortunately Family Illness and other pieces of bad luck (which I will not go into) prevented me going.
Sorry to hear that, but on the positive side you missed a truly miserable day followed by a cold. If I had to pick a show to miss it would have definitely been this one. The following year's was a much more pleasurable experience and will be my next post.

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Wed May 22, 2019 2:32 pm

Hi Mick :P

Great memories there :thumbs:

Just read (I presume) your letter and F3 pic in the latest 'Flypast' ;)

Thanks for posting :thumb:

Paddyboy :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

F3

Post by F3 » Wed May 22, 2019 8:19 pm

paddyboy wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 2:32 pm
Hi Mick :P

Great memories there :thumbs:

Just read (I presume) your letter and F3 pic in the latest 'Flypast' ;)

Thanks for posting :thumb:

Paddyboy :clap:
It's a fair cop Patrick. That was my letter. Have just purchased my ticket for this year's event as it's probably the only show I'll get to. It's a bit of a pain when you have to travel so far to see an airshow. Back in the good old days when we still had an Air Force I only had to go 10 mls down the road. Now it's an early start and an all day job!
PS - You maybe interested in the extra F-5 pics I've posted.

Return to “Warbirds, Replicas and Nostalgic Photography”