Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RAF BINBROOK hangar & flightline tour 5th August 1987

Warbirds, Replicas and Nostalgic photos in here please.
3Greens
Posts: 8043
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:35 pm
Location: RWY21 Grimsby

RAF BINBROOK hangar & flightline tour 5th August 1987

Post by 3Greens » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:09 am

My 'working day' visits to Binbrook continued on 5th August 1987, again hosted by 11 Squadron. As per the visit on 9th July I followed the same format of having a good look around inside first before moving out on to the flight line. It was quite noticeable that 'hangar space' was already being created in Hangar 1 (Lightning Engineering & Servicing Flt) to accommodate the public for the forthcoming 'Last Last Lightning Show' on the 22nd August. Aircraft now grounded and awaiting spares recovery had been temporarily 'shoe horned' into the back storage hangars.
The station did have a bit of a 'Heathrow' feel today as there was so much jet noise and activity. Onward with the tour... enjoy

F6 XS925 'BD' 11 Sqd. this frame withdrawn (5 hours only remaining on frame) but earmarked for public display on the 22nd
Image

Got a surprise seeing this beauty ! It had arrived into the Hull ferry terminal on 23rd July from Manching W.G., arriving at Binbrook on 27th July for temporary storage. This was to become part of the 'Bomber County Museum' being planned at nearby Cleethorpes.
Image

The TF-100F still resident and planned for the show static park. The Chipmunk had been one of two resident all summer for aircadet AEF
Image

The continuation of the parts recovery on F3 XP701 (totally unmarked) now sporting cartoon in chalk on the fin, and XR756 ex. BH 11 Sqdn
Image

F.6 XR756 ex 'BH' - had only 1.8 hours frame time remaining
Image

Now out on to the flightline where French Mirage F.1C's from EC-30 were on an exchange with 11 Squadron
Image

Image

Image

F6. XR725 'BA' OC/11 Sqd, leads out for a 2 v 2 exercise
Image

Image

F6 XR755 'BN'
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

5 Squadron still very busy with XS922 'AF' and XS935 'AK'
Image

Image

11 Squadron XR757 'BL' returns to the line on an 'OTR' (Operational Turn Round)
Image

XS898 the squadron's new 'BD' - also on 'OTR'
Image

Image

Pilots are required to remain 'strapped in' while aircraft is refuelled and oxygen replenished.
Image

Ready for off again ..
Image

Then when all seemed quiet four Harriers from 3 Sqd. turned up for a lunch stop. They had been operating all week in 'Mallet Blow 87/2'. Attacking further targets during the afternoon before returning to Wildenwrath.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Back on to the main flightline
Image

Image

Image

Image

F6 XR753 'BP'
Image

T5 XV328 ex. 'DU' LTF awaiting repainting as 'BZ' 11 Sqdn.
Image

Image

Back in 11 Sqdn's hangar where the Mirage's had been put away. This frame XS903 'BE' had safely returned from a mission on 4th August minus its rudder :Wow:
It had been marked as 'AO' 5 Sqd. just a few weeks prior.
Image

Hope you enjoyed them

User avatar
Nighthawke
Posts: 5232
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:04 pm

Re: RAF BINBROOK hangar & flightline tour 5th August 1987

Post by Nighthawke » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:38 am

I certainly did enjoy. I was there that day - one of only three visits ever to Binbrook. Only managed a few poor photos so good to see some decent ones of the day. Thanks for posting.

Sparts99
Posts: 2752
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:02 pm
Location: Kent

Re: RAF BINBROOK hangar & flightline tour 5th August 1987

Post by Sparts99 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:48 am

Love the two tone grey Lightning scheme. Interesting the Harriers have AAR probes on, I thought they were strictly for ferry flights only, not rated for combat manouvering.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

User avatar
paulh
Posts: 535
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:15 pm
Location: Humberston, NE LINCS

Re: RAF BINBROOK hangar & flightline tour 5th August 1987

Post by paulh » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:21 pm

Another superb set Keith - thank you, these posts seem to get better and better!

Vulcanone
Posts: 3518
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:56 am

Re: RAF BINBROOK hangar & flightline tour 5th August 1987

Post by Vulcanone » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:28 pm

Excellent as always

MKR
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:32 pm
Location: Hull East Yorkshire

Re: RAF BINBROOK hangar & flightline tour 5th August 1987

Post by MKR » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:49 pm

Another superb set Keith

Mustang531
Posts: 2321
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:47 pm

Re: RAF BINBROOK hangar & flightline tour 5th August 1987

Post by Mustang531 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:16 pm

Another great selection of shots, obviously love the Lightnings, but plenty of other great types. Thanks for sharing these with us.

CLPSLFBT
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:34 am
Location: Lincolnshire Coast

Re: RAF BINBROOK hangar & flightline tour 5th August 1987

Post by CLPSLFBT » Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:53 pm

Hi Keith.

Yet again a fabulous trip down memory lane with these brilliant posts your sharing with us :clap: . The hangar shots are fantastic as are the rest of your photographs.

Kind Regards

Glenn👍

NickB
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:07 am
Location: Thatcham

Re: RAF BINBROOK hangar & flightline tour 5th August 1987

Post by NickB » Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:50 pm

Another fantastic set - thanks for sharing.

Good to see XS925/BD - this was the first Lightning to ever land at RNAS Culdrose for the air day in July 1986 - might sound as it's nothing special, but Culdrose only has a 6000ft main runway with no RHAG or barriers and a busy public road not far from the end of the active runway that day! I clearly remember an initial wheels down low pass followed by landing on the next approach - right on the piano keys in a plume of Dunlop smoke.

Also I can see one of Harrier GR3s is in an overall green colour scheme - similar to the GR5s that followed. Not seen this before on a GR3.

Sparts99
Posts: 2752
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:02 pm
Location: Kent

Re: RAF BINBROOK hangar & flightline tour 5th August 1987

Post by Sparts99 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:50 pm

NickB wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:50 pm

Good to see XS925/BD - this was the first Lightning to ever land at RNAS Culdrose for the air day in July 1986 - might sound as it's nothing special, but Culdrose only has a 6000ft main runway with no RHAG or barriers and a busy public road not far from the end of the active runway that day! I clearly remember an initial wheels down low pass followed by landing on the next approach - right on the piano keys in a plume of Dunlop smoke.
I was told that for the Biggin Hill air shows the display Lightning had to be based at Manston because Biggin's 6000ft wasn't considered safe, a Lightning needed 7500 feet in case the brake chute failed. Although I gather that one or some F1's did land there in the early 60's.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Mustang531
Posts: 2321
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:47 pm

Re: RAF BINBROOK hangar & flightline tour 5th August 1987

Post by Mustang531 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:48 pm

Biggin Hill was my local airfield and I attended a lot of shows there. I can confirm that the Target Facilities Flight provided the Lightning for displays and it was an F.1 or F.1A., operating from the base. Similarly on the rare occasion that F-104s participated at the At Home displays, the Slivers operated from Manston, but in 1975 a Dutch F-104 took part and that operated from Biggin Hill. The Navy were regulars at the Air Fair at Biggin Hill and when they were new, Phantoms appeared and were displayed statically.

3Greens
Posts: 8043
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:35 pm
Location: RWY21 Grimsby

Re: RAF BINBROOK hangar & flightline tour 5th August 1987

Post by 3Greens » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:24 pm

Mustang531 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:48 pm
Biggin Hill was my local airfield and I attended a lot of shows there. I can confirm that the Target Facilities Flight provided the Lightning for displays and it was an F.1 or F.1A., operating from the base. Similarly on the rare occasion that F-104s participated at the At Home displays, the Slivers operated from Manston, but in 1975 a Dutch F-104 took part and that operated from Biggin Hill. The Navy were regulars at the Air Fair at Biggin Hill and when they were new, Phantoms appeared and were displayed statically.
Sparts99 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:50 pm
NickB wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:50 pm

Good to see XS925/BD - this was the first Lightning to ever land at RNAS Culdrose for the air day in July 1986 - might sound as it's nothing special, but Culdrose only has a 6000ft main runway with no RHAG or barriers and a busy public road not far from the end of the active runway that day! I clearly remember an initial wheels down low pass followed by landing on the next approach - right on the piano keys in a plume of Dunlop smoke.
I was told that for the Biggin Hill air shows the display Lightning had to be based at Manston because Biggin's 6000ft wasn't considered safe, a Lightning needed 7500 feet in case the brake chute failed. Although I gather that one or some F1's did land there in the early 60's.
A quote from a Lightning pilot - " Operationally Lightnings would operate from strips 6-7,000ft, which is barely enough on a wet and windy day. The Lightning has a slab sided fuselage with a large fin. Add a big drag chute, spindly undercarriage and thin high pressure tyres and you have all the ingredients of a scary ride"

User avatar
paddyboy
Posts: 23630
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: Somewhere in Norfolk

Re: RAF BINBROOK hangar & flightline tour 5th August 1987

Post by paddyboy » Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:47 am

Hi Keith :P

Awesome doesn’t even begin to cover that set :Wow:

If only I’d been the owner of a camera in the 60’s at my beloved Coltishall :'(

The Frightning will always be my favourite aeroplane :thumbs:

Thanks for posting and best regards :thumb:

Paddyboy :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife


Image
GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Sparts99
Posts: 2752
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:02 pm
Location: Kent

Re: RAF BINBROOK hangar & flightline tour 5th August 1987

Post by Sparts99 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:02 am

Mustang531 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:48 pm
Biggin Hill was my local airfield and I attended a lot of shows there. I can confirm that the Target Facilities Flight provided the Lightning for displays and it was an F.1 or F.1A., operating from the base. Similarly on the rare occasion that F-104s participated at the At Home displays, the Slivers operated from Manston, but in 1975 a Dutch F-104 took part and that operated from Biggin Hill. The Navy were regulars at the Air Fair at Biggin Hill and when they were new, Phantoms appeared and were displayed statically.
Mine too. I'm pretty sure I saw the Slivers on the ground at Biggin at least once but maybe I'm thinking of the Dutch F-104 as you say.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

NickB
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:07 am
Location: Thatcham

Re: RAF BINBROOK hangar & flightline tour 5th August 1987

Post by NickB » Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:00 am

Sparts99 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:50 pm
NickB wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:50 pm

Good to see XS925/BD - this was the first Lightning to ever land at RNAS Culdrose for the air day in July 1986 - might sound as it's nothing special, but Culdrose only has a 6000ft main runway with no RHAG or barriers and a busy public road not far from the end of the active runway that day! I clearly remember an initial wheels down low pass followed by landing on the next approach - right on the piano keys in a plume of Dunlop smoke.
I was told that for the Biggin Hill air shows the display Lightning had to be based at Manston because Biggin's 6000ft wasn't considered safe, a Lightning needed 7500 feet in case the brake chute failed. Although I gather that one or some F1's did land there in the early 60's.
I suspect on the day it landed at Culdrose in 1986, had the 'chute failed it would have had to have diverted to St Mawgan, otherwise it would have ended up crossing the main Helston to Lizard road! In fact back in the 50s my Dad witnessed a Meteor T7 & F4 (or 8) do exactly that after brake failure!

At the 1987 show we had no less than 3 Lightnings land - the two aeros F3s and a F6 (XS903). It would seem at the end of their lives, the Lightnings were being sent everywhere and in volume. Happy days.
Last edited by NickB on Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

3Greens
Posts: 8043
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:35 pm
Location: RWY21 Grimsby

Re: RAF BINBROOK hangar & flightline tour 5th August 1987

Post by 3Greens » Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:13 am

NickB wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:00 am
Sparts99 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:50 pm
NickB wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:50 pm

Good to see XS925/BD - this was the first Lightning to ever land at RNAS Culdrose for the air day in July 1986 - might sound as it's nothing special, but Culdrose only has a 6000ft main runway with no RHAG or barriers and a busy public road not far from the end of the active runway that day! I clearly remember an initial wheels down low pass followed by landing on the next approach - right on the piano keys in a plume of Dunlop smoke.
I was told that for the Biggin Hill air shows the display Lightning had to be based at Manston because Biggin's 6000ft wasn't considered safe, a Lightning needed 7500 feet in case the brake chute failed. Although I gather that one or some F1's did land there in the early 60's.
I suspect on the day it landed at Culdrose in 1986, had the 'chute failed it would have had to have diverted to St Mawgan, otherwise it would have ended up crossing the main Helston to Lizard road! In fact back in the 50s my Dad witnessed a Meteor T7 & F4 (or 8) do exactly that after brake failure!

At the 1987 show we had no less than 3 Lightnings land - the two aeros F3s and a F6. It would seem at the end of their lives, the Lightnings were being sent everywhere and in volume. Happy days.
Nick I expect the weather report from Culdrose Met office would have been the decider probably before leaving Binbrook, but even any last minute doubts as he approached Culdrose could have made him opt for St.Mawgan. Happily for you he was confident of getting down safely. If the chute had failed it would have been a 'slam' throttles open and climb out job to St.Mawgan.

NickB
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:07 am
Location: Thatcham

Re: RAF BINBROOK hangar & flightline tour 5th August 1987

Post by NickB » Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:34 am

3Greens - yes I'm sure you're correct. The wind would need to be right down the runway - thankfully it was!

pug
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:24 pm

Re: RAF BINBROOK hangar & flightline tour 5th August 1987

Post by pug » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:37 pm

Great pictures and background info 3greens. I’ve said this countless times before, but for someone who would have been too young to appreciate it at the time, these pictures are a great way of trying to live vicariously through others’ experiences of Binbrook and the Lightning.

I regularly drive through Binbrook, and it’s hard to imagine RAF activity actually occurred there within my lifetime!

3Greens
Posts: 8043
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:35 pm
Location: RWY21 Grimsby

Re: RAF BINBROOK hangar & flightline tour 5th August 1987

Post by 3Greens » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:40 pm

pug wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:37 pm
Great pictures and background info 3greens. I’ve said this countless times before, but for someone who would have been too young to appreciate it at the time, these pictures are a great way of trying to live vicariously through others’ experiences of Binbrook and the Lightning.

I regularly drive through Binbrook, and it’s hard to imagine RAF activity actually occurred there within my lifetime!
NickB wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:50 pm
Another fantastic set - thanks for sharing.

Good to see XS925/BD - this was the first Lightning to ever land at RNAS Culdrose for the air day in July 1986 - might sound as it's nothing special, but Culdrose only has a 6000ft main runway with no RHAG or barriers and a busy public road not far from the end of the active runway that day! I clearly remember an initial wheels down low pass followed by landing on the next approach - right on the piano keys in a plume of Dunlop smoke.

Also I can see one of Harrier GR3s is in an overall green colour scheme - similar to the GR5s that followed. Not seen this before on a GR3.
CLPSLFBT wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:53 pm
Hi Keith.

Yet again a fabulous trip down memory lane with these brilliant posts your sharing with us :clap: . The hangar shots are fantastic as are the rest of your photographs.

Kind Regards

Glenn👍
MKR wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:49 pm
Another superb set Keith
Vulcanone wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:28 pm
Excellent as always
paulh wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:21 pm
Another superb set Keith - thank you, these posts seem to get better and better!
Nighthawke wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:38 am
I certainly did enjoy. I was there that day - one of only three visits ever to Binbrook. Only managed a few poor photos so good to see some decent ones of the day. Thanks for posting.
paddyboy wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:47 am
Hi Keith :P

Awesome doesn’t even begin to cover that set :Wow:

If only I’d been the owner of a camera in the 60’s at my beloved Coltishall :'(

The Frightning will always be my favourite aeroplane :thumbs:

Thanks for posting and best regards :thumb:

Paddyboy :clap:
Great pictures and background info 3greens. I’ve said this countless times before, but for someone who would have been too young to appreciate it at the time, these pictures are a great way of trying to live vicariously through others’ experiences of Binbrook and the Lightning.

I regularly drive through Binbrook, and it’s hard to imagine RAF activity actually occurred there within my lifetime!
[/quote]

Many thanks for kind comments pug and to all. I always enjoyed getting 'behind the scenes' if possible, which generally turned up something a little unique.
I'm pleased that nearly 40 years on they can still give some pleasure.

I did omit to mention that XS925 went on to become the display frame at the RAF Museum Hendon and can be seen in all its' glory as 'BA' of 11 Squadron

3Greens :thumb:

User avatar
eLaReF
Posts: 679
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: RAF BINBROOK hangar & flightline tour 5th August 1987

Post by eLaReF » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:13 pm

Great pictures and background info 3greens. I’ve said this countless times before, but for someone who would have been too young to appreciate it at the time, these pictures are a great way of trying to live vicariously through others’ experiences of Binbrook and the Lightning.

I regularly drive through Binbrook, and it’s hard to imagine RAF activity actually occurred there within my lifetime!
As a Scot, it's maybe about time I re-posted these pics from ANOTHER Lightning base................

ImageEnglish Electric Lightning F.6 Line-Up - 19 of them by eLaReF, on Flickr

ImageFrom the Other end! by eLaReF, on Flickr

:halo: :halo: :halo:
.
.
EDI Spotter since 1958 (When it was RAF Turnhouse)
.
If you are impatient, all of my photos are at https://www.flickr.com/photos/elaref/co ... 913377036/

Post Reply

Return to “Warbirds, Replicas and Nostalgic Photography”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], FraserP and 27 guests