Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

HSA Brough Open Day - 31 May '69

Warbirds, Replicas and Nostalgic photos in here please.
F3

HSA Brough Open Day - 31 May '69

Post by F3 » Fri May 14, 2021 8:56 am

Some other photos I discovered during the house clearance were some of the first a/c photos I ever took, at the above event. This was way before the advent of my first SLR so taken with my Kodak Brownie. Hence the dubious quality of some, esp the Sea Hawk taxying past. What I hankered for was an Instamatic, which was all the rage back then, but I could nt persuade my parents to buy me one. Dad's attitude was probably 'If a box with a pin hole was good enough for Fox Talbot...'
The Dove is perhaps the most interesting as it was used by Brough as a taxi/hack for many yrs. I suspect the Sea Fury is the one Commander Shepherd ditched off Prestwick a few yrs later. I met him @ the last Elvington airshow where he displayed the Seafire and found him to be a really nice bloke.

ImageBrough Open Day programme by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageBrough - DH Dove G-ARBE by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageBrough - Blackburn B2 G-AEBJ by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageBrough - DH Leopard Moth G-AAZP by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageBrough - Sea Fury TF956 RNHF by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageBrough - Sea Fury TF956 RNHF (1) by Michael Britton, on Flickr

Mustang531

Re: HSA Brough Open Day - 31 May '69

Post by Mustang531 » Fri May 14, 2021 9:21 am

Nice to see some interesting old shots, again from somewhere a bit different. The Dove is still stored somewhere in the West Country, G-AAZP is a Puss Moth and it's based somewhere near Hungerford. It featured in an episode of that series about Brooklands Museum a couple of weeks ago. The Sea Fury was handed over to the FAAHF in 1971, so must have still been part of the Hawker Siddeley 'heritage' fleet at the time this was taken, based at Dunsfold. Thanks for sharing these though.

teeonefixer

Post by teeonefixer » Fri May 14, 2021 9:42 am

Terrific post F3, thankyou.
Brough continued their association with the Fleet Air Arm doing Swordfish and Sea Fury rebuilds and technical support right up to when the FAAHAF became a self-supporting outfit

F3

Post by F3 » Fri May 14, 2021 10:27 am

teeonefixer wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:42 am
Brough continued their association with the Fleet Air Arm doing Swordfish and Sea Fury rebuilds and technical support right up to when the FAAHAF became a self-supporting outfit
Yes. I was privileged to be there on both handover days. Swordfish Day was the best Open Day they ever had with a 1st. class flying display from which I still have photos. Mum's next door n'bour was an instrument fitter @ Brough and worked on the Swordfish restoration, retiring shortly thereafter. He was only showing me the framed the signed print of the Swordfish he'd rec'd as a retirement present the other day.

F3

Post by F3 » Fri May 14, 2021 10:30 am

Mustang531 wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:21 am
Nice to see some interesting old shots, again from somewhere a bit different. The Dove is still stored somewhere in the West Country, G-AAZP is a Puss Moth and it's based somewhere near Hungerford. It featured in an episode of that series about Brooklands Museum a couple of weeks ago. The Sea Fury was handed over to the FAAHF in 1971, so must have still been part of the Hawker Siddeley 'heritage' fleet at the time this was taken, based at Dunsfold. Thanks for sharing these though.
Thanks for the info. Nice to know that the Dove's still around. Shame I missed the Brooklands prog. It's a series I keep intending to watch but seem to always miss for some reason or other. I'll make a point of catching the next one.

TimFoo

Post by TimFoo » Fri May 14, 2021 10:44 am

Interesting selection, thanks, Sea Fury was the one that ditched at Prestwick but I'm sure John Beattie was the pilot....

teeonefixer

Post by teeonefixer » Fri May 14, 2021 12:40 pm

F3 wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 10:27 am
teeonefixer wrote:
Yes. I was privileged to be there on both handover days. Swordfish Day was the best Open Day they ever had with a 1st. class flying display from which I still have photos. Mum's next door n'bour was an instrument fitter @ Brough and worked on the Swordfish restoration, retiring shortly thereafter. He was only showing me the framed the signed print of the Swordfish he'd rec'd as a retirement present the other day.
There were a couple of open days mid-80's when the runway was open and there was plenty of visitors, but I missed the opportunity to buy lots of prints being thrown out of publicity dept. a few yeas ago.
I worked on technical support for W5856 and VR930 and the formal handover event for the latter was quite special. The skills and inventiveness shown by the guys on the shop floor were first class. There were more Swordfish wing rebuilds following that.

F3

Post by F3 » Fri May 14, 2021 3:26 pm

teeonefixer wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 12:40 pm
F3 wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 10:27 am
teeonefixer wrote:
There were a couple of open days mid-80's when the runway was open and there was plenty of visitors, but I missed the opportunity to buy lots of prints being thrown out of publicity dept. a few yeas ago.
I worked on technical support for W5856 and VR930 and the formal handover event for the latter was quite special. The skills and inventiveness shown by the guys on the shop floor were first class. There were more Swordfish wing rebuilds following that.
I do still have a spare print of VR930 which I'd be happy to send you, gratis, if you like as I think you deserve it more than me.

F3

Post by F3 » Fri May 14, 2021 3:28 pm

TimFoo wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 10:44 am
Interesting selection, thanks, Sea Fury was the one that ditched at Prestwick but I'm sure John Beattie was the pilot....
You're quite right TimFoo and it was he who I met. Confused him with a previous Sea Fury pilot whose displays I still remember.

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Fri May 14, 2021 4:21 pm

Poor old John Beattie . Just rehearsing for the next accident. At least he remained dry the 2nd time, even tho' the aircraft was in three pieces!!. [could one get health insurance as a Sea Fury Pilot???.] Disclaimer: This flippant remark was made because there were no serious injuries to people or animals. Being pedantic [as usual] an abandoned aircraft ending up in the sea is a crash, not a ditching. Ditchings are controlled. Sorry,being miserable today 'cos the suns not shining....again!!!!.

teeonefixer

Post by teeonefixer » Fri May 14, 2021 4:46 pm

I do still have a spare print of VR930 which I'd be happy to send you, gratis, if you like as I think you deserve it more than me.
[/quote]

Very kind of you, thanks.
I do have one which I intend to frame sometime (that has been the case for some years now though!!)
Plus the prints I got from Valley and various other jobs !!

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Sat May 15, 2021 5:17 am

Hi Mick :P

Usual awesome nostalgia from your good self :thumbs:

Thanks for posting :thumb:

Paddyboy :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Return to “Warbirds, Replicas and Nostalgic Photography”