Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

A Murky Business @ Leeming - Ex Brilliant Foil Mar. '93

Warbirds, Replicas and Nostalgic photos in here please.
F3

A Murky Business @ Leeming - Ex Brilliant Foil Mar. '93

Post by F3 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:12 am

It ain't always easy being an aircraft spotter and it certainly was nt up @ RAF at the beginning of March '93 for Ex Brilliant Foil. The biggest Air Defence Exercise of the year, it had been brought forward from its usual spring slot in the benign month of April in order to accommodate the Royal Review of the RAF being held on April 1st. Well March certainly came in like a lion. Never saw the sun at all for the duration of the Exercise. Gloomy as mid - winter around the shortest day. Whilst the day started fairly bright the light deteriorated as rain and mist set in until midday was more like midnight. At this point, when conditions were at their worst, a pair of the attacking a/c, KLu F-16s, dropped in for lunch. The limits of the film were sorely tested and I think the speed setting was probably down to 1/60 so it was nt surprising that the photos were nt good. One was acceptable in the circumstances and is included below but the other was blurred. Interestingly the F3 fleet was in one of its many states of flux at this time with the jets in a range of markings. There was even one still in 23 Sqn. mks despite that unit having disbanded the previous year.
PS - Never seen any posts from the '93 Review @ Marham, but would be most interested (Hint, hint).
ImageF3 ZE203 FI XXV Sqn. Ex Brilliant Foil '93 (1) by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageZE961 FD XXV Sqn. Ex Brilliant Foil '93 by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageF3 ZE962 FJ XXV Sqn. Ex Brilliant Foil '93 by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageF3s RTB Ex Brilliant Foil '93 by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageF3 ZE908 FC XXV Sqn. Ex Brilliant Foil '93 by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageF3 ZE963 ET 23 Sqn. Mks Ex Brilliant Foil '93 by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageKLu F-16 J-360 Ex Brilliant Foil '93 by Michael Britton, on Flickr
Last edited by F3 on Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paddyboy

Re: A Murky Business @ Leeming - Ex Brilliant Foil Mar. '93

Post by paddyboy » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:00 am

Hi Mick :P

Always great to see shots of the vastly underrated F3 :thumbs:

Thanks for posting :thumb:

Paddyboy :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

eLaReF

Post by eLaReF » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:56 am

paddyboy wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:00 am
I always understood that the word was "OVER-rated?"
EDI Spotter since 1958 (When it was RAF Turnhouse)
If you are impatient, all of my photos are at https://www.flickr.com/photos/elaref/co ... 913377036/

F3

Post by F3 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:24 am

eLaReF wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:56 am
paddyboy wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:00 am
I always understood that the word was "OVER-rated?"
Most definitely "UNDER - rated". Only achieved its full capability once equipped with ASRAAM and AMRAAM towards the end of its service which enabled it to truly achieve parity with the F-15. Until then it had constantly suffered from cost - paring by successive parsimonious Govts. Once equipped with JTIDS it moved into the Premier League and with the addition of the above missiles became world class but by then everyone believed all the bad publicity which it had rec'd at the start of its service.It was a vastly different proposition when it retired at the peak of its capability. I've spoken to many who can vouch
for this.

eLaReF

Post by eLaReF » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:34 am

F3 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:24 am
Most definitely "UNDER - rated". Only achieved its full capability once equipped with ASRAAM and AMRAAM towards the end of its service
Isn't that the problem? - It was only at the end of its service, the rest being mediocre.
From the early days of Blue Circle radar etc., as always, we never spent enough money wisely.
EDI Spotter since 1958 (When it was RAF Turnhouse)
If you are impatient, all of my photos are at https://www.flickr.com/photos/elaref/co ... 913377036/

F3

Post by F3 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:17 am

eLaReF wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:34 am
F3 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:24 am
Most definitely "UNDER - rated". Only achieved its full capability once equipped with ASRAAM and AMRAAM towards the end of its service
Isn't that the problem? - It was only at the end of its service, the rest being mediocre.
From the early days of Blue Circle radar etc., as always, we never spent enough money wisely.
Agreed - and then retired it when we'd got it right, as with the Jaguar. That's the UK Govt for you Penny wise Pound foolish!

jaybee

Post by jaybee » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:28 pm

Good to see some exercise shots again Mick, from one of our favourite old haunts. I can't remember if I went to get anything while it was on. thanks for posting up
and your information insight into the F3s workings, are worth referring back to...cheers mick... :thumb:
Oh the games people play now :ninja:

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:26 pm

Great set of shots, has the Sun ever shone at Leeming? I see you shot them at Gatenby (before it was blocked off :( ), good old days.

PhilE

Post by PhilE » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:36 pm

Drove 180 odd miles to see the Marham flypast in 1993 which was a washout and the flypast was cancelled. I would be surprised if many photo's were taken. Phil

F3

Post by F3 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:56 pm

PhilE wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:36 pm
Drove 180 odd miles to see the Marham flypast in 1993 which was a washout and the flypast was cancelled. I would be surprised if many photo's were taken. Phil
I do remember reading that but surely someone out there managed to get some shots of the static (and flypast rehearsal) before the deluge?

Return to “Warbirds, Replicas and Nostalgic Photography”