Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Tornado Arrestor Trials - Warton (5/9/12)

Only modern military and government aviation can be posted in this section.
chrisward123

Tornado Arrestor Trials - Warton (5/9/12)

Post by chrisward123 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:45 am

A bit of a late post, wasn't going to post these pictures as they didn't come out too well but as they are a bit different I have posted a few to show the event.
Warton Resident Tornado Gr.4 (ZA602) which was flown by Tarnish 9 simluated an Undercarriage Failure. He flew down Runway 25 passing the tower giving the aircraft a quick 'wing wave', he then lowered the Tailhook and Undercarriage and passed again down the runway showing the problem.
He lined up Runway 25 with the Tail Hook lowered and the Arrestor Cable was put in place. He landed and the hook caught the cable, the aircraft stopped after around 50 metres.
Emergency Services showed up, Tarnish 9 shut the aircraft down and the crew exited the Tornado. After around 20 minuted the aircraft was towed southside and the Road Sweep cleaned the runway with the Arrestor Cable being put back in place.

Tornado Gr.4 ZA602

Helifreekuk

Re: Tornado Arrestor Trials - Warton (5/9/12)

Post by Helifreekuk » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:33 pm

Amazing.

Thanks for sharing

Dave Norwich

glyn

Post by glyn » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:23 pm

christian
you dont see that everyday.right place right time.
cheers
glyn

onemac

Post by onemac » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:37 am

Are you sure this was a trial and not a declared emergency? I've seen this several times at lossie and it's mostly been connected with a failure of the instruments. I think what you've caught here is an actual incident as your last pic shows them checking the undercarriage. Forget the quality, you've got a nice set of record pics here - nice one.

Al

andrew b

Post by andrew b » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:45 pm

onemac wrote:Are you sure this was a trial and not a declared emergency? I've seen this several times at lossie and it's mostly been connected with a failure of the instruments. I think what you've caught here is an actual incident as your last pic shows them checking the undercarriage. Forget the quality, you've got a nice set of record pics here - nice one.

Al
Agreed I think if this was a simple trial they wouldn't have gone and done all that I think this was a declared emergency very well caught right place right time
Airplane mad Image

A good pilot is always compelled to evaluate what has happened, so he can apply what he has learnt
Viper TOP-GUN

Return to “Current Military Photography”