Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

AMARG visit

STN RAMP RAT

AMARG visit

Post by STN RAMP RAT » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:32 pm

I might have the opportunity to visit AMARG next month, I do transport and tankers rather than fighters and helicopters. From a database dump this still appears to leave me looking for over 700 frames.

I understand that the tours might not be happening currently due to Covid. I would be great full of any advice on how to tackle the base from the outside and how long I should allow? I am hoping that a single dawn to dusk day would be sufficient. I assume a 4WD vehicle is required

Thanks in advance for the help

Alf

Re: AMARG visit

Post by Alf » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:44 pm

STN RAMP RAT wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:32 pm
I might have the opportunity to visit AMARG next month, I do transport and tankers rather than fighters and helicopters. From a database dump this still appears to leave me looking for over 700 frames.

I understand that the tours might not be happening currently due to Covid. I would be great full of any advice on how to tackle the base from the outside and how long I should allow? I am hoping that a single dawn to dusk day would be sufficient. I assume a 4WD vehicle is required

Thanks in advance for the help
You can fly over it from Tucson airport, as most things your interested are big they would easy to see from the air and in photographs. Very easy to arrange (well it was pre covid). You would see everything in an hour.

The roads around the fences are all OK, I've never had the need for a 4WD. Last visit just went for the smallest car available as it was very cheap and it did just fine.

http://www.amarcexperience.com/ui/

The above is good for a current inventory list, updated around the 15th of each month.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:20 pm

You don't need 4WD, unless it rains. You will need plenty of water, and probably a sun hat.

The tankers and transports are mostly around the edges of the base, so relatively easy to get from outside. They're big enough to not get in each others way too much. Smaller fighters, helicopters and trainers are much more difficult. If you walk along East Escalante Road, South Kolb road (including under the tunnel and up the other side), East Valencia Road and East Irvington Road you'll get most of what you want (C-5, C-130, KC-135).

Not sure what time it gets light and dark this time of year, but a single day is a bit tight IMHO, especially if you want to do Pima and Tucson IAP.

Freeman Lowell

Post by Freeman Lowell » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:30 pm

Alf wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:44 pm
You can fly over it from Tucson airport, as most things your interested are big they would easy to see from the air and in photographs. Very easy to arrange (well it was pre covid). You would see everything in an hour.
Double Eagle have now relocated to Ryan Field (32.135032°,-111.174489°).
Freeman
It’s not what you look at that matters. It’s what you see.

STN RAMP RAT

Post by STN RAMP RAT » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:26 am

Thanks to all for the information, It’s encouraging. From the database I use I can see there are just over 700 frames I would take so clearly requiring some time and effort. The reference to a day was purely for DM leaving Pima Tucson and others on a separate day.

Thanks again

Return to “North America and the Rest of the World”