Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

vaughan

Post by vaughan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:32 pm

Hi all.
I haven't had a flight sim for years so advice needed. Am I correct in thinking that I need to buy a flightsim e. g. Microsoft or Xplane etc and then software for an aircraft such as Hawk T1 etc and then scenery for North Wales and RAF Valley.
Probably need a new laptop as well from my Vista machine!
Any suggestions and advice greatly accepted

Thanks

Vaughan Jones
North Wales

MiG_Eater

Re: Newbie

Post by MiG_Eater » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:16 am

Hi Vaughan,

I spend a lot of my free time playing DCS - which is a combat flight sim, and I would highly recommend it. It is quite daunting at first, but well worth the effort once you begin to understand it.

If you are especially keen to fly over the UK, and not bothered about combat - FS2020 is supposed to be spectacular (though I haven't played it yet). The terrain engine uses google images to model the entire world in 3d. Its not perfect, but its really spectacular.

A new desktop with a decent graphics card and plenty of ram is, unfortunately, a requirement these days; so it can cost a fair bit to get started - but nevertheless i'd still recommend it if you can afford it. Its definitely worth getting a decent HOTAS as well. Again, if you can afford it, I can personally recommend VR as the closest you will ever come to flying without leaving the ground. I have an oculus rift and DCS BFM over the Nevada desert is absolutely stunning.

Hope that helps a bit,

tim_raper

Post by tim_raper » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:31 pm

+1 for DCS
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/ ... ads/world/

As real as you're going to get, if it's good enough to train A10 pilots it's good.

If you want an arcade game go MSFS, if you want a challenge go DCS

DaleRFU

Post by DaleRFU » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:16 am

Hi Vaughan,

As mentioned above, if you want to fly around Wales in a hawk T1 then MSFS is a good choice however I don't believe there is a hawk model available so that could be a stumbling block unless you go over to P3D but compared to MSFS it doesn't look as good in my opinion.

If you want to fly combat then DCS is a great way to go, I have recently gone down this route and it's so much fun, particularly in VR when you're doing BFM etc. They have some great modules that are very detailed and a challenge to fly. With DCS however you don't get the globe like in MSFS so you'll be limited to a few areas.

Regards
Dale
Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy

Return to “Flight Simulator”