Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Server Swap - 11/01/2010

A forum for us to keep you informed on the latest updates on the FC website and forums.
MikeB
Administrator

Server Swap - 11/01/2010

Post by MikeB » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:18 pm

As I’m sure you are all aware, we have been experiencing server issues since we re-setup the website, despite our hosting changing our servers several times we’re still experiencing slowness and downtime occasionally and this week was the last straw.

We have therefore got a new hosting company and the server is now setup ready for live use.

To minimize disruption to our members, I plan on doing the swap tomorrow at roughly midnight (this time could change, depending on when I can get the DNS swapped). But at this moment of time tomorrow at midnight is the set date/time.

The DNS swap (FighterControl.co.uk) from this server to the new server can take up to 24 hours but is normally sooner.

However so your Fighter Control service isn’t disrupted during the time that FighterControl.co.uk is swapping from this server onto our new server, you will be able to access the forum on the new server using http://www.fightercontrol.info/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; during the time that FighterControl.co.uk is down

So what will happen is:

- At midnight when the DNS change is requested this forum will be disabled and a notice informing you to use the new server (http://www.fightercontrol.info/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

- There will be a roughly 15min period when both of the forums are disabled, this is the period that I will be swapping the database from the old server onto the new server so all of the users, threads and posts etc. are up to date on the new server.

- When the FighterControl.co.uk domain is up and running, we will post telling you not to use http://www.fightercontrol.info/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; anymore and return to http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just to stress NO data (users, threads, posts etc.) will be lost during this swap.

Thanks for your patience during our bad server times, I’ll update you tomorrow with confirmation it will be going ahead tomorrow.

Cheers,
Mike

GOOSE

Re: Server Swap - Please Read!

Post by GOOSE » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:31 pm

Top man Mike.

For those on FC who don't know, Mike devotes a huge amount of his personal time to Fighter Control and Civilian Aviation.

He deserves a HUGE thank you. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

DeltaCharlieKilo

Post by DeltaCharlieKilo » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:22 am

Well done Mike. Your efforts are much appreciated. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Regards,

Laurie.

urkles

Post by urkles » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:35 am

To re-iterate what Goose says, thanks for the work you are doing :clap:

skeggy

Post by skeggy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:40 pm

As has been said Thank's for all your time and effort Mike, And all the forum team for keeping us upto date on what's happening.
Keep up the good work chap's.

Cheer's

Skeggy. :thumbs:
Cheer's Kev.

MikeB
Administrator

Re: 10pm Tonight - Server Swap - Please Read!

Post by MikeB » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:06 pm

The server swap will go ahead at a earlier time of 10pm.

As said in the original message, there will be a roughly 15min period where both the .co.uk and .info fourm is unavailable whilst I copy the database across.

Then the .info address (the new server) will be available and the .co.uk address will be back working within 24hours.

Cheers,
Mike

Lowfly11

Post by Lowfly11 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:17 pm

Well done from myself,as well.

MikeB
Administrator

Post by MikeB » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:02 pm

Server swap complete, we're now on the new server!

The FighterControl.co.uk domain has been pointed at this new server now and hopefully will be up by the morning.

Cheers,
Mike

HighlandSniper

Post by HighlandSniper » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:11 pm

Well done Mike, got you on http://www.fightercontrol.info/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; so far :clap:

SamP
Administrator

Post by SamP » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:12 pm

Yup same, seems fine! :thumb:

dervish

Post by dervish » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:09 pm

DNS seems to have propogated quickly. Online at .co.uk again now
The spirit of self-help is the root of all genuine growth in the individual......
Help from without is often enfeebling in its effects, but help from within invariably invigorates

MikeB
Administrator

Post by MikeB » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:22 pm

Excellent, it's not come through here yet, but will take a while to come through for everyone. I'll leave .info working for a day or so then redirect it to .co.uk.

I'm afraid .info will not store your username/password, so you will need to login everytime.

HighlandSniper

Post by HighlandSniper » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:28 pm

Yup, I'm getting in on ".co.uk" as well - that was incredibly quick and painless Mike. Again a superb job well done :clap:

dunmailbiffa17

Post by dunmailbiffa17 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:41 am

Well done Mike :cool: :cool:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39487381@N02/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Was Lowflyer 17.

https://www.facebook.com/KingDuniImages

TARGET

Post by TARGET » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:55 am

Excellent-well done and thanks to all concerned

Return to “Fighter Control and Forum Technical Information”