Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Access to Cape Wrath?

Please post any movements and activity around the RAF/RN Weapons ranges.
beefsteak

Access to Cape Wrath?

Post by beefsteak » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:10 pm

Daft question I know , but is it possible to get to Cape Wrath by road , I know there's a ferry from Keoldale accross the water and a very steep twisty track to the Cape , but I can't for the life of me remember if it's open to the public.
Jim Bowen, on "Bullseye" :- In which state of the U.S.A. is Dallas, Texas ??

beefsteak

Re: Access to Cape Wrath?

Post by beefsteak » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:52 pm

Any body ?

nickowen

Post by nickowen » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:08 pm

Only in summer. The Cape Wrath ferry carries passengers on foot between Keoldale and the Cape Side jetty (approx 2km S of Daill) between May and September, from where the minibus takes them on to the Cape. The minibus is shipped over the Kyle by barge in May and returns to Keoldale in September, running a Cape Side shuttle service daily, except when the Air Weapons or the Inshore Range are active. The ferry does not operate in winter, except for private runs as required by the Estate.
More info at:
http://www.capewrath.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.capewrathferry.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All the various parts of the CWR Complex (Offshore, Inshore NGS, Live Air Weapons, Artillery and CAS) are activated by NOTAM and notices are posted at the Durness Visitor Centre at Sangobeg (summer only), outside McKay's store, and at Rhiconich Hotel. Range activity used also to be posted on the FOSNNI website, though this has yet to be fully updated after being taken over by QHM. Once you are in the area the MCA broadcasts Gunfacts daily on Marine VHF:
Clyde at 0810 and 2010
Belfast at 0710 and 1910
Stornoway at 0710 and 1910

The only other way to the Cape is to walk in from Blairmore (approx 18 km).

Hope this helps. Do feel free to PM me if I can be of any more help.
Cheers
Nick

beefsteak

Post by beefsteak » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:00 pm

Thanks very much Nick , it won't be till summer that we go so hopefully we'll get on to the shuttle !

Cheers once again
Ian

warrior2035

Post by warrior2035 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:17 pm

do you mean Cape Wrath or the Range HQ at Fairaid Head? When live firing is 'on' there is no access to Cape Wrath but you can get walking access to Fairaid. You can walk from Durness to Fairaid. When live firing is happening you can get good views from Fairaid to Garvie Island (the main target) but it is often subject to harsh sunshine and poor visibility. You will need a 300mm minimum and tripod (always windy). Next big shoot is April 2012 for Ex Joint Warrior 12-1.

Return to “RAF and RN Weapon Ranges”