Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Bimbling Around Dundee ~ 23rd, 24th & 25th November 2018

Landscapes, Portraits, Sports, anything really as long as it is within the guidelines and not offensive. Please do not post images of civilian aircraft here. We would be grateful for those on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
Pen Pusher

Bimbling Around Dundee ~ 23rd, 24th & 25th November 2018

Post by Pen Pusher » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:34 am

As my birthday falls on or around the last weekend in November, over the last 5 years or so I’ve been treating myself to a long weekend in London. I thought I’ve got to do something different this year. A few months back I started seeing photos on the tinterweb of the new Victoria and Albert Design Museum which opened in Dundee on the 15 September 2018. That’s different I thought so I booked a stay at the Premier Inn, about a two minute walk from the train station and the V&A building, and right on the waterfront. I had a cheap off-peak return rail ticket and my just under 6 hour train journey north of the border stalled at Newark Northgate as we sat for 2 hours waiting for the overhead cables at Doncaster to be fixed. We then light hopped into Doncaster as only one platform was open for both north and southbound trains so we had to wait our turn. Missed my connections and arrived 3 hours later than planned. I didn’t let that spoil a very enjoyable, if a little wet and cold at times, long weekend.

Dundee christmas light were switched on the weekend before I visited and center around the Christmas tree in City Square.

View along High Street towards City Square.

Food vendor on High Street.

City Square fountains in front of Cairn Hall.

Caird Hall built between 1914 and 1923, as a concert hall.

View from City Square with Reform Street in the background.

According to the Japanese architect that won the designed competition for the new V&A museum, Kengo Kuma, the inspiration for the design was the eastern granite cliff edges of Scotland. No matter what way or angle I looked at it, it just reminds me of a ships hull.

Royal Research Ship Discovery is a barque-rigged auxiliary steamship and was the last traditional three-masted ship to be built in the United Kingdom. Discovery now sits in a dock next to the new V&A Museum on the Dundee waterfront less than half a mile to the west from where it was originally built by the Dundee Shipbuilders Company and launched in 1901.

More of the sights of Dundee to follow.

Brian

Mark

Re: Bimbling Around Dundee ~ 23rd, 24th & 25th November 2018

Post by Mark » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:00 pm

Its changed a bit since I was there for the 2006 air show. It was a bit of a dump back then... Great images Brian!!
Cameraless

H.A.Bucken

Post by H.A.Bucken » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:14 pm

To my way of thinking it's a form of 'Brutalist' architecture as in the good (not too) old Preston bus-station.
I'll get to Dundee one day soon.
Cheers, Roger

vulcanxl425

Post by vulcanxl425 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:09 pm

Sorry Brian you had a delayed journey to get there. Nice images of " City of Discovery ".
Al

" Thoir an Aire - Be Always Alert "

baz1

Post by baz1 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:48 am

yet again great photos always look forward to your bimbles, typical of british rail that mainline between grantham and Donny seems to have probs at least you made it, oh and a Happy Belated Birthday Brian
Comfortably Numb

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:37 pm

I have to say that at times i fail to appreciate how good my home town can look. You seem to have made a silk purse from a sows ear with those photos Brian.

Opinion is divided about the V&A up here, and i have to say i cant fully make my mind up. I pass it when heading home from late shift and i think it looks great, I have the good fortune to see it from the river and think it is stunning. However, i have also seen it from the Dundee Law and it looks like a carbuncle!

Yet to see whats inside, but not all reports are positive.
Arabest,
Geoff.

Mike

Post by Mike » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:31 pm

That's a really good set of shots Brian, did you get any photos of the statues of the Beano & Dandy characters in the High Street area? There's quite a few there, Desperate Dan etc. :)
This season, I'll be mostly wearing........A THONG!

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:26 pm

Patience Mike. :D

Although I like the outside of the V&A, I'm not impressed with the inside. Too much wood. Not sure it knows what it want's to be. A shopping mall or a museum. The ground floor is basically a shop and cafe and the upper floor a restaurant. The lift tower spoils the open space. The design bit of the museum seems to be pushed to the side and in two separate rooms.

Brian

Mike

Post by Mike » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:38 pm

My God, that looks hideous inside - those bits of wood look like the slates on a house after a really nasty hurricane has just gone over with so many of them missing, and the lift looks totally out of place. :Wow:

Any photos of the Oor Wullie statue? Apparently he was named after a set of Siamese twins were born in Dundee. :whistle:

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:15 pm

Tomorrow Mike, tomorrow. :D

Brian

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:16 pm

Dundee is the headquarters of DC Thomson, publishers of such literary classics as The Beano, The Dandy and the ever popular The People’s Friend.

Sitting on a wall across the road from his spiritual home, with pea shooter in hand, is Oor Willie from The Sunday Post.

Bimbling along the High Street every day is Desperate Dan, from the Dandy, who can be seen taking his pet dog ‘Dawg’ out for a walk with Minnie the Minx, and her catapult, about to cause a spot of bother.

The Tay Rail Bridge is just under 3 miles long and spans the Tay estuary from Wormit on the south bank to Dundee on the north bank. The original bridge was opened in 1878 but on the 28th December 1879 at 7.15pm, the bridge collapsed into the Tay as a train was crossing and heading towards Dundee with all crew and passengers killed. During the inquiry it was established that a Gale Force 10 wind which was blowing along the estuary at the time and design flaws in the bridge construction contributed to its failure. The Tay Rail bridge was rebuilt and opened in 1887 and is still being used to this day.

The stumps of the original bridge piers can still be seen at low tide.

The Tay Rail Bridge Disaster Memorial.

Attached to the sea wall just outside the hotel I was staying at is a bronze plaque which reads along the bottom - ″Commemoration of the 1938 flight of Captain Bennett from the Tay Estuary to South West Africa” by the Short Maia/Mercury flying boats.

Brian

Mike

Post by Mike » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:22 pm

Great stuff Brian, many thanks for posting them. :thumb:

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:37 pm

Considering the conditions, the photos of DC Thomsons are stunning!

My daughter also picked out her friend working at the V&A!
Arabest,
Geoff.

Return to “General Photography”