Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Proposals for RAF Scampton

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Scampton here
Eccleshare1

Proposals for RAF Scampton

Post by Eccleshare1 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:11 pm

For those interested in proposals for Scampton post RAF, the Lincolnite had an interesting article https://thelincolnite.co.uk/2022/07/con ... velopment/.

baz1

Re: Proposals for RAF Scampton

Post by baz1 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:36 am

it states a Runway and for what purpose??
Comfortably Numb

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:54 am

They want to have another airport :Wow: :Wow:

The runway and hard standings are not going to be able to take much, substantial re work would be needed for it to be even remotely possible.

I think a flying club would be more likely, but with Wickenby, Temple Bruer, Gamston, Hibaldstow, Kirton in Lindrick and Sturgate all close by is there really a need for it?

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:10 am

Yeabut, the council are valuing the land at £300 Million. Not sure a flying club has that sort of cash lying around, and a developer building "a desireable new development of ten squillion new shoeboxes" is not going to want a load of angry wasps buzzing about next door.

baz1

Post by baz1 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:28 pm

so much for the history of Scampton and what it stands for what a waste, council getting there hands on it and making money or for that matter wasting it.
Comfortably Numb

usafe

Post by usafe » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:24 pm

Well it is the council after all who I wouldn't trust one bit, after all they are politicians!
Look at RAF Swinderby, untouched from the second world war which would have made a fantastic museum but now all gone and i have every faith RAF Scampton will sadly end the same way although I'm praying it doesn't but the councils are excellent at handing out building permission.......

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:19 am

A Museum and or Visitors Centre sounds good to me....... After all you have Gibson's HQ Room and a certain Dogs Grave on site, build something around these two things....

baz1

Post by baz1 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:18 am

maybe the Runway will be for the council having fun days out racing Go-carts down the runway!
Comfortably Numb

reheat module

Post by reheat module » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:37 am

Be an ideal location for RAFAT :D
UK ONS CPI Rate checker for Sept every year... :whistle:

jetranger2015

Post by jetranger2015 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:38 am

surely the best option would be move the showground onto the site to make it a better all weather facility. infrastructure already in place, lots of hardstanding (no more mud hole when it rains during the show for visitors, and for the build up /breakdown). runway could be used for other types of events as well, hangars for indoor exhibitions, good access off the road, etc.
Then have a small memorial on the site incorporating the HQ Room and a certain Dogs Grave.

baz1

Post by baz1 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:52 am

or Amazon warehousing ??
Comfortably Numb

blakey

Post by blakey » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:17 am

Will go the same way as Winthorpe and Hemswell.....business center, carboots, go carts etc
Lee Blake

reheat module

Post by reheat module » Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:09 pm

jetranger2015 wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:38 am
surely the best option would be move the showground onto the site to make it a better all weather facility. infrastructure already in place, lots of hardstanding (no more mud hole when it rains during the show for visitors, and for the build up /breakdown). runway could be used for other types of events as well, hangars for indoor exhibitions, good access off the road, etc.
Then have a small memorial on the site incorporating the HQ Room and a certain Dogs Grave.
A couple of those Hangars were 'well past their sell-by date' in the late 80s and early 90s when we stored Bulldog, JP and Tucano in them. Not sure what's been done with them since 92+, but I'm sensing Enviro and H&S would have a hissy if they were considered for re-populating.
UK ONS CPI Rate checker for Sept every year... :whistle:

Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho » Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:10 am

reheat module wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:37 am
'Many a truth has been spoken in jest' as the saying goes.
If finances and resources, perhaps even internal RAF politics, were not an issue, The Reds might just have stayed. However, and I say this gently, it may well be that The Reds are being taken off their pedestal, and no more 'our own base' and 'we and us', all what goes with an over-inflated ego. It has been coming for some time, the past year has certainly hastened and solidified that process.

65thAgressor

Post by 65thAgressor » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:29 pm

Lincoln needs houses we are always being told that here. Near me they plan to build 3,800 new homes. How about they use Scampton plenty of room and a decent road infrastructure.
A museum could be incorporated into the plans .

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:40 pm

Unknown74 wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:19 am
A Museum and or Visitors Centre sounds good to me....... After all you have Gibson's HQ Room and a certain Dogs Grave on site, build something around these two things....
Problem is, how could such an establishment be sustained. Would there really be a great footfall to such a centre? It's one thing with the current RAF Musem locations near a large population centre, and near infrastructure and roads that would feed the museums, but Scampton just isn't so ideally placed or served. Of course, I'd love to see as much as possible of the site preserved, but I'm also aware of reality.

C24

Post by C24 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:58 pm

Tally-ho wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:10 am
reheat module wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:37 am
'Many a truth has been spoken in jest' as the saying goes.
If finances and resources, perhaps even internal RAF politics, were not an issue, The Reds might just have stayed. However, and I say this gently, it may well be that The Reds are being taken off their pedestal, and no more 'our own base' and 'we and us', all what goes with an over-inflated ego. It has been coming for some time, the past year has certainly hastened and solidified that process.
🇺🇦 🌻 🇺🇦

Even as a very long term follower of RAFAT, over recent years the above comments do seem to hold a lot of credence.

That said/written, off to Waddington this week :)
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:21 pm

They've been very busy today/yesterday - hope it continues for you. The WAVE plans to re open Thursday

Rhubarb

Post by Rhubarb » Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:49 pm

I took a nostalgic look at Scampton last week. The boarded up state of the old Officers Mess is enough to make passed WW2 serving air crew turn in their graves :'(
Again I ask you and Lincoln Council? If Scampton is to become a new suburb of affordable housing and not four bedrooms executive homes ? "What of the deisel pollution of the last twenty five plus year's"?
"A Rhubarb" is a sortie of opportunity !

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:13 am

I suspect diesel pollution from 1983 till now is the least of any construction companies worries... Remember the reworking of Waddingtons runway and finding UXBs

Try looking at the Heavy Industry that sat under the site of a well known London attraction built in Greenwhich for the Millenium. As that was deemed to be toxic.

I wonder if Peel has such ideas for DSA nee RAF Finningley.... With Coventry/Baginton likely to become a giant battery factory, we shall have to wait and see.

Strubby survives in a manner, Manby became WLDC offices. And the rest of it reverted back to its previous use, as have Kelstern, Ludford Magna, Binbrook, Waltham, Killingholme.....

Return to “RAF Scampton”