Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Do the Red's Fly Fridays

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Scampton here
Andy_99

Do the Red's Fly Fridays

Post by Andy_99 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:36 am

Hi,

Quick Q for the regulars - Do the Red's fly a full 3 sorties on a Friday or are they like the rest of the RAF & pack up for the weekend at Lunchtime ?
Thinking of maybe popping down next Friday 15/2 depending on weather & potential for any activity.

If I do visit where's the Go/No-Go areas, Obviously under the Lights & along the Centreline of the Runway being the most obvious.

Thanks in Advance

Andy

reaper493

Re: Do the Red's Fly Fridays

Post by reaper493 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:30 am

Hi Andy,

A typical day for the reds would be something like:

Enid up 9:30 until 10
Synchro/gypo up 10-10:30.

They normally go up again two hours after landing, so enid would go up again at 12.

As the training is switching to more dynamic flying and larger formations you may only get one sortie then a two hour gap, rather than one straight after the other.

I have seen them still up at 15:30 on a Friday, it all depends on the weather and productivity of the week. Fridays they can be up as early as 8:30, although with the freezing temperatures of late I haven't seen them up before 9:30 due to icing on runway.

The northern end (22) of the runway is a no go area, the farmer doesn't like people down there. The southern end (04) is much more popular and safer, as long as you stay away from the centre line no one will bother you. Of course there is the viewing area by the crash gate off the A15.

Hope that helps,

Mike

Andy_99

Re: Do the Red's Fly Fridays

Post by Andy_99 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:08 pm

Perfect Thanks for the info Mike

Return to “RAF Scampton”