Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Scampton to close

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Scampton here
airfixpilot
Location: Sth killingholme, Nth Lincolnshire. Home of the OIL Refinerys: LOL

Re: Scampton to close

Post by airfixpilot » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:38 pm

Sounds to me that like me everyone has a idea of were to put the Red Arrows . The way things are going there won't be any airshows to sent them to. Just the occasional flypast. :pop: :pop: :pop: :P
WATCHING & LISTENING IN LINCOLNSHIRE
Keep Calm & Carry On, Stay Positive & Chill.

Chill to Military Airband in the background with a coffee & Biscuits.
Listening into airband on the east coast of Lincolnshire.

David

pug

Post by pug » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:39 pm

With the ASDOT program, what does the future hold for 100sqn at Leeming? Reason I ask is that it would appear at face value the Hawk T1 is to be completely phased out of the U.K. military (RAF & RNAS) by around 2027. Would the MOD really retain the T1 purely as a Red Arrow platform, or is this the precursor to the Reds being disbanded? After all, wasnt Scampton retained purely because the Reds has to use the airspace to practice anyway, and they even landed at Scampton when they were officially based at Cranwell for a few years..? In whichever case, wherever they may be moved to, they will still need a suitable quiet airfield in a relatively remote location to practice over. As far as airfields are concerned, I can think of none suited to that purpose, with the possible exception of Leeming should 100sqn eventually disband.

I’m not a major user of this site, so I know there are far more knowledgable members who may be able to speculate.

tommc

Post by tommc » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:26 am

pug wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:39 pm
Would the MOD really retain the T1 purely as a Red Arrow platform, or is this the precursor to the Reds being disbanded?
There are loads of spare Hawk frames in storage at Shawbury. The Red Arrows are to continue using Hawk T1 until 2030. That is another 12 years down the road. Who knows what types may be available by 2030 to replace Hawk?

pug

Post by pug » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:25 pm

Thanks for the update, reassuring to know they have contingency for the next 12 years at least! It’s a shame to think of what has changed in the last 12 years though. Following major flying stations gone;

Coltishall
Cottesmore
Lyneham
Leuchars
Kinloss

And those much reduced and the smaller ones gone such as;

Wittering
Wyton
Church Fenton

There are probably more to add to that list. There can’t be much more to lose now..?

Bobcode

Post by Bobcode » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:31 pm

TeeJay wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:57 am
Nighthawke wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:04 pm
As far as I recall there would be a lot of infrastructure to put back at Honington to reactivate for full flying ops.
Yeah, re-installing a runway for a start :lol:
Just back from a great day at Honington, did a check on runway and was told runway was classified “live”. Had a quick look and it’s all there, may need a spruce up but could be a possibility.
Whilst there, the Red Arrows came over and gave an impressive display, maybe looking over their new home :clap:

TeeJay

Post by TeeJay » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:02 am

Interesting. Last aerial shot I saw I was half covered in soil and rubble, as an off-road vehicle course.
Cheers for the update mate.
Trev

C24

Post by C24 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:44 pm

There is nothing like resurrecting an old thread :)

Two people, miles apart gave out this combined comment today.

Scampton to close in 2020; RAFAT to move out prior to Winter training, 2019-2020. Wittering as new base, using the airspace over Kendrew Barracks.

Stranger things have happened. Please do not shoot the messenger :lol:

Edited 19thMarch2019

Apparently there is sufficient space at RAF Scampton.

https://www.stamfordmercury.co.uk/news/ ... s-9005234/

See main thread at. viewtopic.php?f=287&p=1070001#p1070001
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

Return to “RAF Scampton”