Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

WANTED: CAMERA NEWBIE HELP!!

Got anything to sell? Want certain things to add to your inventory? - Advertise here....
GhostFlight91

WANTED: CAMERA NEWBIE HELP!!

Post by GhostFlight91 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:30 pm

Been a full enthusiast now for around 20 years attending the Mildenhall Air Fetes as a whipper snapper :lol: Im pretty high up on the use of PlanePlotter, the old comms on the scanner etc etc so no way near a newbie. However ive only ever since i started the hobby noted the aircraft serials and callsigns in my notepads on my outings, NEVER have i took a serious photo for record purposes. 2014 a new year and all ive decided to purchase myself a decent camera and get into the photography side of things. I dont get out as much as i would like due to work commitments travel etc and spend most of my time listening to the scanner or sat monitoring PP so im not looking for something top notch so to speak. Gonna pop to coningsby tomorrow for the majority of the day and i think this will make me realise how much i need a camera now not just the binocs and scanner.
So thats where all you pros come in :) ..
Looking for something decent to get them good shots
a decent lens to snap the aircraft from johns field etc
Price range isnt a problem but not looking to go silly mad on something when im getting into it
Cheers Guys :)

steve149c

Re: WANTED: CAMERA NEWBIE HELP!!

Post by steve149c » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:35 pm

Well welcome to the best side of the hobby - my setup as with many others is a Canon 7D with a 100-400mm L Series lense, giving up amazing sharpness and reach and will zoom out enough for large birds and sharp to about 390mm

That's my input

Steve
Amateur modeller
Canon 7D2, 100-400mm IS L lense, Icom R6 and alot of luck!

Richard B

Post by Richard B » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:38 pm

Such a choice to be honest, thou best advice I would give as you say you are going to visit CBY.
around the base you will find many snappers.

have a look what they are using and ask some questions, nothing better then seeing what you need and the cost.

Thou a good starter set up and good bang for your buck I would have a look at the Sony Alpha range.

POL

Post by POL » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:07 pm

Do you need a camera though? Or do you want one just because everyone else has one?

Zymurgy661

Post by Zymurgy661 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:45 pm

Are you looking for advice in this thread on what to purchase or looking for cameras that people have for sale? If former, may be better to move into the Photo q&a section

GhostFlight91

Post by GhostFlight91 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:11 pm

CHRISGLOBE: I wouldnt say that i NEED one mate. For quite some time now ive been thinking of photography to add to the hobby instead of just endless notepads full of serials :lol: I wouldnt say that im following on with everybody else. Will be a nice change and a good learning curve for me :)

Both Richard and Steve thankyou guys for your suggestions im going to have a good look at these set ups once im back from Coningsby tomorrow.

I would say that this is slightly asking whats best to purchase but also if anybody has a set up that will be good for me for sale then please PM me :)

Luke

GhostFlight91

Post by GhostFlight91 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:15 pm

GhostFlight91 wrote:CHRISGLOBE: I wouldnt say that i NEED one mate. For quite some time now ive been thinking of photography to add to the hobby instead of just endless notepads full of serials :lol: I wouldnt say that im following on with everybody else. Will be a nice change and a good learning curve for me :)

Both Richard and Steve thankyou guys for your suggestions im going to have a good look at these set ups once im back from Coningsby tomorrow.

I would say that this is slightly asking whats best to purchase but also if anybody has a set up that will be good for me for sale then please PM me :)

Luke
Also if anybody could please provide me with a link of a good setup including a decent lense this would be greatly appricated.
Night and thanks all :)

deerhunter

Post by deerhunter » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:37 am

I have the same set up as Steve and can concur, however I have just gone on to a 70 -200 2.8 lens and a converter

Absolutely brilliant

Dave
Canon 5D Mk4 plus long lenses, and lots of hope!

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Skip

Post by Skip » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:27 pm

Lens wise I would say a Canon 70-200 L Lens, the non IS f4 is a bargain at under £500 or the non IS f2.8 for under a grand is even better. Body wise a lot of people rave about the Canon 7D so it must be half decent, the body I had was rubbish and got sent back for a refund, but don't let that put you off! how about a full frame camera? the Canon 6D is available for under £1k and is brilliant, the noise handling is unbelievable. I've had countless camera's over the years and I would never go back to a crop sensor and would not use anything but an L lens. hope that helps a bit mate
The last time I saw an F22 at Lakenheath i DIDN'T photoshop it...
Flickr

GhostFlight91

Post by GhostFlight91 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:13 pm

Thanks for all your inforamtion guys every single one of you. To much to reply individually so thanks :) Gonna take a long hard look and shop around i will update you all on what i end up with and hope to share many great pictures along the way. Obviously wont be anywhere near your standards :lol:

All the best
Luke

GhostFlight91

Post by GhostFlight91 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:55 pm

Guys ive just been looking on Ebay(I know it may not be he best place as everybody has mixed opinions but its what im gonna go for) :) Ive opted for the Sony Alpha range as which RichardB recommended but there seems to be many different models, types etc. Its more in the price range im looking to spend to start of with so which is the best Model to go for. Not necessary the best being the most expensive please?
Also this may sound a real stupid question, do all lens fit all camera or does it have to be a Canon lens for a Canon camera etc :unsure:
Cheers again and apologies for any stupid questions in this thread, not used to being the newbie after 22 years :lol:

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:38 pm

Sorry can't help with Sony part of your question but to answer the bit about lenses:

firstly it is not a stupid question - if you don't know, you don't know!

Camera manufacturers only make lenses to fit their own cameras so Canon, Nikon etc. Probably seems obvious but see comment above! There are independent manufacturers such as Sigma, Tamron etc who make lenses to fit a variety so you will find them for Canon or Nikon as well as other makes.

A number of decent, well-known suppliers will have their websites laid out so that you can search for the required combinations. As an example look at Wex - their site is fairy clear to use and you will see what is available. I have no link with them but tend to use their site for guidance.

Hope of use
Regards
Ian

GhostFlight91

Post by GhostFlight91 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:02 pm

Nighthawke wrote:Sorry can't help with Sony part of your question but to answer the bit about lenses:

firstly it is not a stupid question - if you don't know, you don't know!

Camera manufacturers only make lenses to fit their own cameras so Canon, Nikon etc. Probably seems obvious but see comment above! There are independent manufacturers such as Sigma, Tamron etc who make lenses to fit a variety so you will find them for Canon or Nikon as well as other makes.

A number of decent, well-known suppliers will have their websites laid out so that you can search for the required combinations. As an example look at Wex - their site is fairy clear to use and you will see what is available. I have no link with them but tend to use their site for guidance.

Hope of use
Regards
Ian
Ian thanks for that explanation :) Not used to being a newbie in this hobby :lol:
That Wex site has been a great help again thanks mate
Luke

tm74sqn

Post by tm74sqn » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:47 pm

Have you investigated a digital 'Bridge Camera'? Saves carrying around a lot of heavy lenses, but are they any good for photographing aircraft? I don't know, but I'm thinking of buying one just to find out as my Canon gear is getting rather old, and wasn't the best in the first place! Sony, Panasonic, Canon, Nikon, Fujifilm and Olympus all make them - but which one to go for, that is the question (as Shakespear said). Anyone got any opinions?
All the best to all for 2014, TM74

TeeJay

Post by TeeJay » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:04 am

Hi Tm and Luke
My advice is don't go for a bridge. I use a Panasonic. It's a great camera but does really struggle with some shots. Especially in poor light, and fast aircraft speeds. By the time you can have focus lock on the subject, it's often too late.
Having said that it's light, easy to carry and use. And can give good results. (See my Flickr page)
Happy hunting and look forward to some pics from you Luke :)
Trev

GhostFlight91

Post by GhostFlight91 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:37 pm

TM Trev :)
Thanks for the info guys. I am actually all sorted now and my new gear should be with me tomorrow. I will update you all when it arrives
Cheers for all the help guys :thumb:
Luke

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:21 pm

And....don't keep us waiting - what are you getting? Or do we have to wait until it arrives :P

Whatever it is I hope you enjoy it - of course you do realise that you've opened a stage of life from which you may never recover nor be able to really afford :lol:

GhostFlight91

Post by GhostFlight91 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:18 pm

Nighthawke wrote:And....don't keep us waiting - what are you getting? Or do we have to wait until it arrives :P

Whatever it is I hope you enjoy it - of course you do realise that you've opened a stage of life from which you may never recover nor be able to really afford :lol:
:lol: :lol: Its all in my signature below to save messing around :)
Unsure myself on the kit i managed to get so please no bad comments if its not going to be right for avation, It seemed a right bargain when i got it and im more than happy with it, like a young child again on christmas morning :clap:
Hopefully work will allow me time off soon so I can get to one of my locals and get some pics up ASAP :)
Cheers
Luke

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:20 pm

Hi again Luke,

Glad you're pleased with your new "toys"! Not familiar with any of the kit so won't attempt to make any comment. The most important thing (apart from your enjoyment) is to get using it. Doesn't matter what - anything at all just to get used to it. Find your way around the camera and just have fun. As has been pointed out before, there are plenty of people who will be prepared to offer advice, and, depending on what that advice is, you may choose to heed or ignore it.
Now the fun starts...enjoy!

GhostFlight91

Post by GhostFlight91 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:09 pm

Nighthawke wrote:Hi again Luke,

Glad you're pleased with your new "toys"! Not familiar with any of the kit so won't attempt to make any comment. The most important thing (apart from your enjoyment) is to get using it. Doesn't matter what - anything at all just to get used to it. Find your way around the camera and just have fun. As has been pointed out before, there are plenty of people who will be prepared to offer advice, and, depending on what that advice is, you may choose to heed or ignore it.
Now the fun starts...enjoy!
Thanks Nighthawke and most definitely
All the best to you
Again thanks
Luke

Return to “For Sale and Wanted”