Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

New to FC or not so new? Introduce yourself here.

For beginners to the hobby to have all those "newbie" questions answered...
paddyboy

Re: New to FC or not so new? Introduce yourself here.

Post by paddyboy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:31 am

Hi Paul :P

Welcome aboard :thumbs:

Paddyboy :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

rh226

Post by rh226 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:15 am

Hi Paul,

Welcome. :)

Hopefully you will find plenty on here to tempt you out of the Vale of Aldur. ;)

Bob

Wigzy

New and Old

Post by Wigzy » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:34 pm

Hi. I'm John. Spent the last 60+ years (not a typo) pointing glass at aircraft in England until 1979 when I moved permanently to the US and kept on doing it. Started with a Kodak Brownie at the 1956 Biggin Hill Battle of Britain show and progressed to a Praktica using Boots/Ilford b&w roll film. Progressed through Canon FTb, AE-1 and F-1 with Kodachrome 25/64 and finally ended up today with Nikon D800 gear. Realizing that my library of 13,000 negs was not immortal I digitized them all over a four year period (!) before they became irrecoverable or were thrown out by my heirs. I recently scanned the final one. They do not compare in quality and skill with others postings here but the markings, types, units and even bases are gone now and so I will be happy to freely share the results with anyone interested in that period of history when variety and access were much easier. Today I live in South Florida and don't get back to Blighty other than for RIAT pilgrimages but I do usually try to cover a dozen or so US shows during the year. I have just set up a Flickr page with some prototype albums and will add responses directly to posts on this site if someone could show this old geezer how to do that.

John WIGZELL - Flickr - wiggy954

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:05 am

Hi John :P

Welcome aboard the friendly aviation forum :thumbs:

Cheers :thumb:

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Radman

Post by Radman » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:44 am

Hi, my name is Geoff and my user name is Radman. I am 65 years of age and still working. I live in North Yorkshire about 10 miles NE of RAF Leeming. My job takes me all over the UK and overseas. I have been interested in aircraft and aviation since I was a kid in Teesside and joined the local Air Scout group. Had my first air flight in a Chipmunk at Catterick in the early 60's. Since then I have progressed and gained my PPL in the 1980's. I have just bought a scanner - UBC 125 XLT so will be listening in when I can around the country - Cheers Geoff

markranger

Post by markranger » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:12 am

Welcome to FC Geoff, :thumb:
Nikon D850
Nikon D600
Nikon D500
Nikon 300 F2.8 VR1

Funtera

Post by Funtera » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:16 pm

hello Geoff and welcome .. aah the Chippy, great little plane to fly in
Fox2 Refugee & HATO
EOS50D + 70-300mm IS USM .. +Luck = My Pics

Radman

Post by Radman » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:39 pm

Yes, as a 14 year old it was a dream, but very bumpy smelly and noisey. Love to do it again

Funtera

Post by Funtera » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:49 pm

agreed .. bloomin expensive to fly in outside of ATC
Fox2 Refugee & HATO
EOS50D + 70-300mm IS USM .. +Luck = My Pics

Radman

Post by Radman » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:10 pm

Took up flying model aircraft and Drones - not the same, the buzz wasnt there

ian harding

Post by ian harding » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:04 pm

Hi I'm a newbie from Deaf Hill in Co Durham . Found a new friend in Deaf Hill who is really into spotting ,so I thought I would give it a try . Visited Ffishburn Airfield yesterday ,great Swiss Venom as gate guardian J 1790. Also lots of light aircraft. I am going to Raf Leeming on Tuesday or Friday, are there any good movements please .

Ghostpiper

Post by Ghostpiper » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:43 am

Hello All,
Thank you for accepting me into your group. I have worked in the aviation industry for many years but have only recently taken up photographing the aircraft. I met some cracking guys in Lossiemouth who were all very helpful, thanks lads.
Look forward to being part of the group.

Regards

John

Del

Post by Del » Wed May 02, 2018 9:34 am

Hi

I'm Derek and have just joined. My interest in military aviation dates back to the 1960s when I regularly went viewing at Boscombe Down and often visited airshows at HMS Daedalus and Yeovilton (2018 will be the 50th anniversary of my first Yeovilton airshow)

As I'm recently retired and have a slightly better camera that my Kodak Instamatic from 1968, I'm starting to get back into all this again and this board looks like a good place for info and help.

I've found a few photos from back in the 60s/70s and I'll post a few up as I get going. They're not great quality, especially the ones copied from slides, but they may be of some interest. For info, my current avatar is (I hope) a copy of a slide of Lightning T5 XS422 at Boscombe Down somewhere around 1977 (+/- a couple of years).
Derek

11E

Post by 11E » Thu May 24, 2018 10:49 am

Hello all,
My name is Lesley and my username is 11E. Spotting (military) since 1981 and since 2009 also civil (numbers only). Only number crunching with a telescope and a notebook which is a rather rare profession these days. Long time ago I was in the air force and nowadays I work with UAVs. I live close to Kleine Brogel, Dusseldorf and Eindhoven and together with my son, which I teach the noble art of numbercrunching, I visit often these airports/bases.

Regards,
Lesley

>Moose<

Post by >Moose< » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:30 pm

Greetings and hallucinations from Las Vegas.
I go by Moose, and was pointed in this direction by one of your own; Cornish-guy, a friend from another photography forum.
I'm a 24-year veteran of the US Air Force... F-111 Avioncs Maintenance, B-52 Gunner, Intelligence Officer... and recently retired from the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department after 18 years as a Corrections Officer.
I live not far from Nellis AFB and enjoy shooting aircraft there from outsdie the fence.
I visited your lovely island in October 1981 when we flew B-52's to RAF Marham as part of excercise Busy Brewer.
Happy to be here. Be nice to the Yank. ;)

andys1616

Post by andys1616 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:18 pm

Hi Everyone,

I've just registered here after having it on my "to do" list for a while.

I'm a keen photographer, sometimes I even take some sharp ones, so most weekends I'm taking photos at air shows or motorsport. I also try to make at least one trip a year down to LFA7 to get a low level fix.

Andy

Harp 36

Post by Harp 36 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:31 pm

Good Afternoon fellow users.

I have an interest in the technical side of Aviation ( Avionics and Communications) so as a result, I have had the privilege to have flown both as a Member of the Air Training Corps and with another organisation in some of the Older types between 1976-86
Harp 36 (my user name) was taken from the Varsity I had the honour of flying in from Finningley to the FIR boundary Westbound via reporting points 'Milbrook' ( along the old Blue one East West Airway) via Barton ( BTN VOR) and Wallasey (WAL) it was in all an experience I can tell you as someone said to me at the time it is a posh Vickers Wellington.

I was introduced to basic Air Ground Communication both V/UHF Navigation using MW ADF NDB's and VOR and the use of DME and of course how to read a half mil Chart.

I later learned CW (Morse code to Professional standard as well as FAC Skills) and I will leave that well alone for now.
Other types flown within the dates specified Chipmunk T10 and T21 Slingsby Gliders and service types Jet Provost MK 3 ( Finningley ) and later a Dominie ( the HS125 to replace the Varsity) .

The Dominie flight I won in a SQN draw while on Annual Camp.
This was a night flight to Stavanger beyond the FIR boundary where I was allowed to give position reports both via CW and Voice ( which I got mic fright or talking from a Oxygen Mask ) via HF in the 5MHz region.

I have just retired from a very lengthy employment of 40 years and hope to keep my Interest in Aviation which has been my passion throughout my Life.

So to the present day.
The Arrival of the F35's are of interest as is the line up at this years IAT.

I have been told off at Airshows for asking awkward questions on the technical side of a device or asset of interest, they should not have them on display then lol i guess a lot of people will be interested in the UK's new Assett and how we deploy it.

So without further ado thank you to the Fighter control Team for their time to manage this site.

By the way, the LFA broadcast to all Aircraft when an Aircraft is to enter LFA's on 278.0 is alive and well!! Mac Loop/Ulverston enthusiasts take note :thumbs:
The General Consensus is that LL operating is out dated and no longer Tactical well it is not and the RAF Aircrew I personally are fortunate to know say that despite technology advancement Low Level operations is a must for part of the general Training both interediate and advanced.
A topic all on its own I feel.

So i am pleased that it still is I may have a go myself at some Fast jet Photography.

That is all peeps you may see me pop in from time to time.

Regards
Harp36

Red-Eye-Knight

Post by Red-Eye-Knight » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:07 pm

Hello all....I am new to this so thought i would say hello to everyone and i am looking forward to speaking about our love for aircraft with everyone on here as it seems so much nicer than ukar......I hope i can learn some new things from you guys and share some of my experiances that i have had at airshows...Hope to talk to you all soon.

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:52 pm

Hi Buddy :P

Welcome aboard the friendly aviation forum :thumbs:

Very best regards :thumb:

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

AlastairJM

Post by AlastairJM » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:52 pm

Hi - I'm Alastair, thanks for accepting me into the group. I've been a 'read-only' occasional visitor for a while, but have just taken possession of a scanner (Uniden 125XLT) and a 360Radar subscription thought it was time to get serious! Have already got loads of frequencies for my area (South Leicestershire) from the forum - thanks, looking forward to getting involved...

Return to “The Newbie Forum”