Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Bowel Cancer

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
TF104G

Re: Bowel Cancer

Post by TF104G » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:05 pm

jem60 - thanks for the supporting words and I couldn't agree more about how brilliant the NHS is. I had to stay on the HDU ward for a week and the things I witnessed there and the dedication of the nurses to save people was absolutely amazing.

Absolute angels, worthy of a good pay rise.

I must admit that I've not thought too much about the accumulative effects of chemo but I have felt pretty bad after this third dose and not looking forward to the rest of the treatment. Like you say, you've got to stay focused and there's no point of thinking about the alternative outcome.

On the positive, my next dose will be the half way milestone of pumping chemo into the body. On the grand scale of this desesase and diagnosis - I'm on the right side of recovery and for anyone else who has doubts out there - the earlier it's caught, the quicker and less severe the recovery.

All the best
Andy T

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:52 am

Hear hear,couldn't agree more,angels the lot of them. Good luck with the treatment and for a clear future
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

TF104G

Post by TF104G » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:36 pm

Since my last update, regarding this illness - I was diagnosed with secondary bowel cancer liver last year and recovered really well from having 20% of my liver removed.

Unfortunately I now have secondary bowel cancer in both lungs and the fight continues. I feel well and still living an active life - so living with cancer is possible but the ride on the roller coaster continues and I can't get off.

Live life to the full, look after your friends and family, keep laughing and joking and enjoy your hobbies to the max.

jem60

Post by jem60 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:49 pm

TF104G. Don't know what I can say to you, except to say that your last line says it all. Life is a journey for all of us. Take out of it what you can. Best of luck to you. Regards, John.[still fit and well at 75]. When you get to my age you tend to start thinking about how long is left, so going to chase whales in Alaska in 6 weeks. Last tick on the bucket list.

TF104G

Post by TF104G » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:10 pm

Thanks for the update - for some strange reason, I've never laughed so much and my colleagues call me an inspiration. I only hope that my experience can help others and raise awareness.

Chasing whales in Alaska sounds like a really good bucket list item - hope you enjoy and bring back plenty of pictures. Hopefully my journey can last a few years longer, 55 is a little too early for the departure lounge!!!!

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:06 am

Best wishes to you , i hope you make a full recovery.
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:28 pm

Cancer certainly sucks! My wifey is currently battling on against secondary breast cancer, first diagnosis was back in June 2016 so she underwent six months of chemo followed by a lumpectomy. Pathology tests & a CT scan in April 2017 showed no further signs of disease and we thought 'Happy Days' its gone... Then in October 2017 she started having a frequent cough & spells of breathlessness, so after further tests and scans followed by an EBUS procedure she was diagnosed with mets on her lungs. That came as a really low blow because the illness is no longer deemed as cureable. She is back on chemo again to try and keep the nasty stuff under control and so far she has started to improve albeit slowly.

Getting through each day is certainly an emotional rollercoaster without doubt! There are good days and some very bad days, but its a ride you cant get off of. We've just got to make the most of it and stay positive that she keeps responding to the chemo and can still do all of the things she wants to do with her life. She is only 46, but as we know, cancer doesn't recognise a persons age, in fact it doesn't give a damn where it goes. It affects all walks of life and it is just a terrible thing, I hate it :@ :@ :( .

TankBuster
And there's plenty more where that came from!

jem60

Post by jem60 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:26 pm

Tankbuster. So sorry to read this. As a member of the 'Cancer Survivors Club', I understand what you and your wife are facing. My wife's cousin has been on chemo for lung cancer for 2 years now, and, whilst it is not curing it, it IS keeping it at bay, and allowing her to lead a pretty normal life, except on chemo weeks [ Your wife and I well know what that feels like, as do others on this site!!!!] Chemo has come a long way in the 7 years since I had mine, and I hope it has the effect that is required. POSITIVE THINKING, and kind regards, and thoughts with you and your wife. I say both of you, because there ARE two of you in this fight, as my wife discovered. It is very easy for people to forget that. Best wishes, John.

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:58 pm

It's a horrible disease my Uncle had leakeamia , he found out on a Tuesday & passed away the following Tuesday! A day after his 57th birthday. 2 years on me & my Mother are still in shock.
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

Return to “General Chat”