Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Typhoon cannon

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
The Phantom

Typhoon cannon

Post by The Phantom » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:53 pm

A question for the experts on here:
I know many years ago only so many of the first Tranche Typhoon's were to have guns installed; and then I believe this was changed in the mid-2000s - albeit the gun port is blanked over with a metal plate.

So are all Typhoons now carrying a cannon?
And are they active for QRA? I ask because i believed from things said years ago that they were; but on searching through pictures of Typhoon's on QRA service, the gun port is still blanked over?!

seven

Re: Typhoon cannon

Post by seven » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:00 pm

I believe all our Typhoons have guns installed now. However the gun put will be covered until fired.

#KeepFightingMichael #banthebulls

toom317

Post by toom317 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:20 pm

Just been looking at some Typhoon pics, where is the cannon on the Typhoon? :S
No one gets out of life alive.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:24 pm

Right wing root. The oval disc with the 8 screws holding it in place is what shatters when the first round passes through.

http://www.b-domke.de/AviationImages/Ty ... _12462.jpg

nickowen

Post by nickowen » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:59 pm

So no Blue Note then? Spoilsports.

IanM

Post by IanM » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:40 pm

I believe the story is that the RAF wanted the gun left off as a cost saving measure. However, in order to maintain the Typhoon’s weight and balance they would have had to have replaced it with something that was the same weight, size and shape as the original gun! Common sense prevailed and the gun was retained.

Ian

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:37 am

Thunder wrote:Right wing root. The oval disc with the 8 screws holding it in place is what shatters when the first round passes through.

http://www.b-domke.de/AviationImages/Ty ... _12462.jpg
Interesting about the disc shatters with the first round - always imagined it was a solid steel plate!

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:40 am

So leading on from the above info - that they all have guns and the covering plate shatters - do they ever practice with the guns at the range? Or would it be all simulator training these days?
Never seen any photos or video of live firing; whereas it was commonplace in the days of Phantoms, Jags, etc.

Ghastly Whisper

Post by Ghastly Whisper » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:30 am

With all the other weapon options available to Typhoon having to use the gun probably means the pilot is in a very desperate situation. All the years its been deployed to various parts of the world, not once have I ever heard of the gun being used. Has it been used?
Growing old disgracefully

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:43 am

Ghastly Whisper wrote:With all the other weapon options available to Typhoon having to use the gun probably means the pilot is in a very desperate situation. All the years its been deployed to various parts of the world, not once have I ever heard of the gun being used. Has it been used?
I think it's more a case of what is the suitable weapon for the operation than ever being in a desperate situation. For example, the Tornado used it's cannon in Afghanistan in the low level CAS role, a line of cannon fire being a suitable deterrent to stop the enemy from crossing a line or forcing them back, where bombs could not be used because friendly forces were too close. Typhoon operations (in what I have seen) are more medium level with precision munitions and specific targets and there are no troops on the ground for a lower level CAS and thus to be needed. I seem to recall also that the decision to include the cannon eventually was helped by the Afghanistan experience where it was accepted that it was a very useful weapon in the CAS role.

toom317

Post by toom317 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:48 am

Thanks for the replies. A total bonehead question, but it was one of those things you never really think about.

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:32 am

toom317 wrote:Thanks for the replies. A total bonehead question, but it was one of those things you never really think about.
I don't think it was a bonehad question, I found this quite interesting, a lot of info in a short thread.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

np1991

Post by np1991 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:52 am

Ghastly Whisper wrote:With all the other weapon options available to Typhoon having to use the gun probably means the pilot is in a very desperate situation. All the years its been deployed to various parts of the world, not once have I ever heard of the gun being used. Has it been used?
Yes, Typhoon has fired the gun during Op Shader sorties. Usually before the Squadron's deploy there's a phase where they go live with the gun. The Lossie based units have been live with the gun on Tain Range.
Cheers Niall

Nikon D7200
Nikon 70-200mm f2.8
Nikon 300mm f2.8
Nikon 18-140mm

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/59398793@N03/

Sky Pirate

Post by Sky Pirate » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:10 am

But it's not the most dependable set up..lots of jam ups.

POL

Post by POL » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:53 pm

From memory, the F-15 and F-16 guns point slightly upwards (useful in dogfights...)

Does the Typhoon have the same setup, or is it level or pointing downwards slightly for better A-G gunnery, a-la Tornado GRx?

toom317

Post by toom317 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:17 pm

Can't say about the Typhoon, but I'm sure the Tornado GR and F versions had the guns set differently, but the F did practise strafing for Bosnia, or some other theatre, but don't know if they ever used it in anger. They did do a strafing orientated display for the airshow at Leuchars on at least one occasion

Thunderbolt II

Post by Thunderbolt II » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:15 pm

toom317 wrote:Can't say about the Typhoon, but I'm sure the Tornado GR and F versions had the guns set differently, but the F did practise strafing for Bosnia, or some other theatre, but don't know if they ever used it in anger. They did do a strafing orientated display for the airshow at Leuchars on at least one occasion
Wasn't the strafing practice on the F3 related to Falklands duties?- as would be the only air to ground option for the flight based out there in an emergency? I may have imagined that, but it was what I understood at the time.

Bushpilot

Post by Bushpilot » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:15 pm

I bet it's a lot more useful to have a cannon than a AAM to fire a warning shot! ;)
I want 2% of GDP and I want it NOW!

toom317

Post by toom317 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:36 pm

That sounds about right Thunderbolt.

filmman

Post by filmman » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:01 am

The advantage of cannon is that the opposition never definitely knows that you have run out of rounds in a dog fight. Missiles, depending on type, are fired far further out and at all aspects: absence of use/carriage is more obvious. One Israeli ace remarked their early home made missiles never worked so they had to use cannon even when carrying missiles. Out of curiosity has anyone seen a Typhoon canon being loaded, or shells on flight lines, or visual tags saying guns loaded?
I know that used car salesman make extravagant claims, but the Russians claimed that their latest fighters computerised gun systems only needed to fire 3 rounds to shoot a fighter down.
Filmman

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”