Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Anyone have the sony rx10 iv ?

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.
TREBAX_RAVEN

Anyone have the sony rx10 iv ?

Post by TREBAX_RAVEN » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:28 pm

hi there i'm looking to upgrade from my current bridge camera to a higher end model.
just wondering weather the new rx10iv is worth buying.
i'm also deeply considering the fz1000.
does anyone own both? what are there experiences?
Tribute to 47 squadron

r6pilot

Re: Anyone have the sony rx10 iv ?

Post by r6pilot » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:20 pm

Hi 633 squadron I have the FZ1000 & the 2000 & they are great for fast jets I also have a Nikon d3100 which has hardly been used since I got these bridge cameras https://youtu.be/EHg0A3kbR_w these are fotos I took with FZ1000
Last edited by r6pilot on Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Evergreen 44

Post by Evergreen 44 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:44 pm

Been thinking of same.
This same question was asked in the current military photos section about a month ago and started a good thread
I will check link for you
In the meantime I recall looking at this one which has more technical info :

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4210404
The aspect I need to check is focusing speed at full magnification - but field of view becomes an issue for panning at the long end anyway...
Depends which aspect of camera performance is your priority I suppose but hope this helps to get you started on the pros & cons of changing gear.
The thread in the mil photo section made a good case for weight reduction if you can part-ex most of your heavy lenses to fund the change.
On the plus side less gear and more versatility but con is that with one camera all of your eggs are in one basket if it fails ...
Good luck,
Paul

David Thompson

Post by David Thompson » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:44 pm

tommc has the RX10III , some photos here ;
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=155054
and
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=155523
I'm tempted too but still not sure.....
Youth is wasted on the young !

TREBAX_RAVEN

Post by TREBAX_RAVEN » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:25 am

I think i'm going to opt for the fz1000 for the 4k as i shoot video
Also i can pick up a second hand one on ebay for 450quid.
The rx10iv is over a grand :'( (a bit out of my price range)
but i'm still not convinced of the fz1000 photo ability is as good as the rx10iv.
Tribute to 47 squadron

evd

Post by evd » Tue May 16, 2023 11:25 am

Six years down the road, any RX10IV experiences to share please?
best regards
Erwin

binbrook87

Post by binbrook87 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:49 pm

Yes I've had the RX10 IV for about 5 years or more at least (probably longer) and it's been a superb investment.

I did intend to replace my DSLR set up completely but i very often use them side by side on days out at the fence when I don't need to lug my gear around very far, as they both have their positives. For a general day out say at an airshow I'll usually just take the RX10 as it's lightweight, takes great static shots, great indoor/ hangar shots, superb for video, and will take very decent flying shots once you've mastered it. So a great all rounder. The great thing I've found is that you can use it 'manually' like you can a DSLR, so shutter or aperture priotity, static or continuous focusing, EV +/- to suit etc etc just like a DSLR. Some of the menus are not that easy intuitive compared to my Nikon DSLR but this may just be the complexities of Sony menus as I've never used a Sony DSLR.

It doesn't quite have the pixel peeping quality if you want to super crop and zoom an 'in flight' photo like you do with a decent DSLR, but it can produce some great images. I like to take OTT shots for example where you are very often pulling in a 'dot' in the distance. Now with a DSLR you will be able to zoom and crop right in and probably still maintain a half decent photo, but with the RX10 the same crop won't have the same quality as the pixels are not as high. Bit if you're taking something from a medium or close distance then you probably won't tell the difference between it and a DSLR.

If you're used to say a 400mm zoom then you'll have something comparable in terms of magnification and crop factor. Focusing and FPS are really good and I only miss the odd shot here and there. The only downside with flying shots is the start up lag of a couple of seconds if it's been on standby mode (like all bridge type cameras), and also you cannot continue zooming while shooting. You have to zoom then shoot, zoom then shoot etc. But it's not hard to master. The really fabulous feature is the zoom can either be via the trigger (like most bridge cameras) or on the lens barrel itself like a DSLR. It uses some form of motor assist servo. This was a BIG selling feature for me as most bridge cameras don't have this function. I use the trigger for video and the lens barrel for shooting.

The price is still fairly expensive though but if it's being used as your only camera then think what you're getting for the money. Wide angle, superzoom and video all in one.

Highly recommended!

binbrook87

Post by binbrook87 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:05 am

Another small downside is the batteries don't last anywhere near as long as a DSLR so you may need to purchase plenty of spares if you intend to use for a full day. I have about 6 now and i would avoid the cheap cheap brands as they seem to lose charge very quickly. The branded ones are much better ie Sony official ones or Duracell, Energiser etc....but are more expensive. You gets what you pays.

tm74sqn

Post by tm74sqn » Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:37 pm

I bought a Sony SX50 HS several years ago. I use it instead of a powerful telescope as my hands (and the rest of me!) can be a bit shaky. Lens up to 1200, so a very good magnification - about 20x ? No idea about newer versions unfortunately.

Return to “Photography Q & A / How to post photos”