Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

A London Night Shoot Through A New Lens

Landscapes, Portraits, Sports, anything really as long as it is within the guidelines and not offensive. Please do not post images of civilian aircraft here. We would be grateful for those on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
Pen Pusher

A London Night Shoot Through A New Lens

Post by Pen Pusher » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:52 pm

As a Birthday treat, I treated myself to a new lens. The Sigma 16mm/f1.4 DC DN/C lens for Sony-E and Micro Four Thirds mirror-less cameras was due to be released in the USA first on December 1st but mine was delivered November 28th. Although it is designed for crop sensors and as I will be using it for low-light/night shoots, I attached it to my full frame A7RII in crop or APS-C/Super 35mm mode as it gives me access to 5-axis stabilisation and uncompressed RAW which gives me an image size of 35MB as opposed to 24MB I’d get on my crop sensor a6300.

Not sure why I picked the coldest day of the winter so far to go down to London, watching snow flurries from the train on the way down from Cambridge and a bitter wind chill coming off the Thames, so rather than do a proper test with the lens I set it a f1.4 to see how sharp it was wide open and adjusted the shutter speed and ISO and kept moving to keep warm.

The weather forecast looked good for a nice sunset with scattered clouds but when I got to the observation deck at the top of the One New Change Shopping Centre next door to St Paul's Cathedral, the scattered clouds had clumped together and blocked out the sun. Another visit another day.

Igloos outside the Coppa Club bar and restaurant next to the Tower of London.

Ice rink set up in the moat of the Tower of London.

No floating Christmas Tree in St Katherine's Dock this year.

Christmas Market stalls at More London.

Carol Singers on the steps into Hayes Galleria.

Apparently there has been an Ale House on this site for over 800 years. The Anchor was built in 1615 as the tap room to the Anchor Brewery that used to be behind it and it was said that in 1666 Samuel Pepys viewed the Great Fire of London from it. More recently, well 1996, the exterior of the Anchor featured right at the end of the first Mission Impossible film.

The Royal National Theatre, more commonly known as the National Theatre.

The London Eye

The Elizabeth Tower slowly disappearing under scaffolding and plastic sheeting. The bongs rang out at 8pm but didn't sound quite right so I assume they have started using recorded bongs coming out of speakers now.

Sony A7rII CSC + Sigma 16mm/f1.4 DC DN/C lens, hand held, manual settings.
Brian
Last edited by Pen Pusher on Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hedgerowops

Re: A London Night Shoot Through A New Lens

Post by hedgerowops » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:44 am

Well they've come out rather well Brian I would be well pleased with those. I think you should have a job with the London tourist board with your view's and interesting snippets or a guide.
Chris

awacsfan

Post by awacsfan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:52 pm

Really nice and beautiful pictures - quite nice and well worth your efforts and braving the weather!

Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:01 pm

Most enjoyable set, well done! :thumb:

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:05 pm

Sorry being so late, I have only just seen them. Another fantastic set from your London rambles. I always look forward to your posts, please keep them coming.

John flightpath

Post by John flightpath » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:12 pm

Great set there Brian. I must have a go sometime in the smoke.
Can you explain where the observation deck is please. I wasn't aware of it.

Cheers
John 'flightpath'.

PS. Always like your Duxford shots throughout the year. Keep them coming. !
Equipment
Canon EOS 750D

Sigma APO OS DG 150-500mm
Canon 55-250 IS STM Lens
Sigma APO DG 70-300 lens

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:36 pm

John flightpath wrote:Can you explain where the observation deck is please. I wasn't aware of it.
It's at the top of the shopping centre, left leg in the image below, free and open to the public.

There are several open entrances to the shopping centre at ground level which all lead to the central lift shaft and then on up to the 6th floor.

https://onenewchange.com/roof-terrace

Brian

Return to “General Photography”